722 Audio Dropouts - Getting More Specific

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Lbeck

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
The reason for this long post is to see if anyone else in the 722 world is experiencing this problem that I cannot solve. It may be limited to the local Raleigh/Durham local station WTVD.

I've been a dish subscriber for more than 9 years and through several receivers. I changed residences recently and upgraded to the 1000+ dish and the 722 receiver. Shortly afterword I began noticing very short audio dropouts - a syllable or less - while watching the local news, which is 90% of what I have been doing for the month or so that I have had the new system.

I have had good success in focusing on the cause of problems by "isolating the variables" and have isolated the problem to the receiver. I called DN and convinced them. A couple of days ago they came out and replaced my month-old 722 with a brand new one. To my surprise (and chagrin) the problem remains. If anything, it's a little worse with the new receiver.

I'm now beginning to think that it may be only with the local network - WTVD - and maybe only with HD news broadcasts. I know that this sounds crazy, and maybe the problem is broader than that, but that is so far exclusively where I see the problem (but remember that's 90% of my viewing at present). The problem occurs many times during both the local news broadcast and the national ABC Nightly News. I have watched other programming, both on WTVD and other networks, and have not seen the dropout problem.

The sound dropouts that I am experiencing:

1. lasts for less than a second, only a syllable or so of a word
2. Has been noticed (so far) only on recorded material (because I use the time-delay feature to eliminate commercials)
3. Is repeatable at the same location of a recording
4. I can replay the segment where the dropouts occur over and over and dropouts remain
5. The strangest characteristic of the problem is that it occurs at the same general location but not always on the same word. Recording the segment and replaying it over and over will convincingly demonstrate the dropout problem, but it will not always appear on the same word(s).

Because of this last characteristic (#5.), I assumed that it probably was a function of bad places on the hard drive or something to that effect. Now that a new receiver didn’t fix the problem I’m trying to narrow it down further. The other major correlation is that I have not experienced the dropouts on other networks and so far not on other programming other than the morning/evening news shows. I’m talking 40-50 hours of viewing since getting the 722 of which maybe 5 hours has been on other-than-local/national news.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any suggestions on how to narrow the problem further? It’s not the TV or cabling because it’s repeatable on both TV1 and TV2.

Yeah we've been talking about this for a while.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/126959-sound-dropping-second-4.html

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...149778-audio-problem-622-a-2.html#post1561748

It has been enough of a problem for me that I'm leaving Dish Network.
Thanks,

I read those threads and it sounds like the same problem. I'll jump onto those threads to continue.

I'm surprised that Dish replaced my month-old receiver. The info about it being a software problem must not have filtered down to their tech support team.

My 622 will start something similar, stuttering and audio dropout. If I do a front
panel reboot everything works ok for a while. This seems to last a few days, then
I repeat the reboot. This is on recorded shows but not limited to Ch. 11. I will compare WTVD to
to WRAL.

My 622 will start something similar, stuttering and audio dropout. If I do a front
panel reboot everything works ok for a while. This seems to last a few days, then
I repeat the reboot. This is on recorded shows but not limited to Ch. 11. I will compare WTVD to
to WRAL.
May or may not be the same problem. I never noticed it on my 622 but was only getting SD until I upgraded my dish and receiver. Also I haven't noticed what I would call "stuttering". Only micro-second dropouts. I've done several reboots and haven't noticed any change.

I recorded WTVD news in HD last night, while watching I noticed no dropout or
anything unusual. I have added a fan on the left side to draw air across the 622
and this has lowered the temp. Check your hard drive temp.

Add me to the list. It seems everytime I experience something:

- one second black screens during HD shows
- 722 "not connected" broadband
- audio dropouts

..that these same issues affect everyone. This is good and bad I suppose. Its good in that Dish will pay more attention due to the fact this problem is universal. ..its bad..because the problem is universal ;)

Its very noticeable to me when watching 'sunrise earth' in the background in teh mornings..that constant whitenoise of water or birds is joltingly interrupted when the audio drops out for a second or 2. Very annoying but I haven't had time to really think about it too much.

Again..thats why this forum rocks! You guys are the best.

I also started a thread on the same thing a little while back. It only happens to me on my local HD Fox chan (KCPQ 13) and it only happens on recorded or delayed programming. It is weird, if it is live there is no prob, but if I pause for any length of time the problem is right back, always.

I don't know where to turn with this problem, if you call a CSR, even one of the ones I have access to in the US you wont get anywhere, maybe a new receiver, but as you know that doesn't solve anything. I am lucky in that I can get Fox 13HD from my antenna but I was hoping to take the antenna down.

Brad

PS If it matters, I'm in Nashville and I've noted the audio drop-out on HD Theater channel. I wish I had paid more attention during the "Office" episode last night as to whether it was happening on the local HD channels DISH is providing.

Portland, OR

And I've never seen a "list" of all the locals that have this problem. Also 722 or 622 it seems to make no difference.

How about a poll? How many people cannot watch time-shifted ABC and FOX HD locals during primetime?

Portland, OR

And I've never seen a "list" of all the locals that have this problem. Also 722 or 622 it seems to make no difference.

How about a poll? How many people cannot watch time-shifted ABC and FOX HD locals during primetime?
so far for me ,all of the above,but add NBC and CBS too.only in primetime hrs and only on OTA.took antenna off,and havent noticed it since. :mad:i want my locals in HD:mad:

I went ahead and called my E* phone # and talked to a CSR for a bit (I was board driving), he had never heard of the prob. but he left a message for his supervisor who he said "knows things like this". I am supposed to get an email about it but haven't yet. I'll post it if I ever get one.

Brad

I went ahead and called my E* phone # and talked to a CSR for a bit (I was board driving), he had never heard of the prob. but he left a message for his supervisor who he said "knows things like this". I am supposed to get an email about it but haven't yet. I'll post it if I ever get one.

Brad

I was promised a call back by the CSR on the phone.. never got one, nor an email.

I did get a reply from dishquality quickly (a separate email I sent them a few days after my CSR call). Makes me think the CSRs over the phone are totally useless for anything of any technical nature :(

Since they upgrade to new soft wear 1080P..We do have that audio problem! Before was only in local HDchannels, Now getting all over like virus.. Like my HD/HBO last night and now is HD/SCI channel..Yes they know already but is over a month didn’t do anything about it…. They have to give us some type the discount in monthy payments till fix the problem..With they lousy and over dune service technical crap, is hard and frustrating watching a movie or anything in TV!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts