722 bad hard drive?

DefDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
N.W. Florida
I came home yesterday to find my 722 not on. It's about 3 years old and I use it heavily. I tried a hard reset and the fan would blow for a second or 2 and then the green light would come on but then go out after a little bit. I unplugged everything opened it up blew out the dust tapped a little bit on the hard drive and tried again. after a few tries it came on and I was able to transfer my stuff to my EHD. it's been on and working all night and today till I left for work. my question is can the hard drive cause this issue or could it be in the power supply. I'll probably go ahead and just buy a 722k , but I just want to see if it's worth fixing or selling. thanks guys for any advice.

What are your HDD temps? It may just be overheating. If you own the 722, you could replace the HDD.

What are your HDD temps? It may just be overheating. If you own the 722, you could replace the HDD.
it shows high 132 and low 84 with a 122 avg, what should it be? I do own it but the prices I've seen for a replacement HD seem to have gone up to around a $100 or more. I can get a new 722k on ebay for around $250 -260 and maybe sell mine for a hundred or so and not have to mess with it. I'm home for lunch and it is still going so it may have been a overheating problem, I've had the top off and have it sitting in the open now. I've transferred all the content 'it took about a total of 8-9 hours without a problem" so I think I'll put it back together and see what happens.

Your temperatures are fine, it is NOT overheating. I would signup for the Protection Plan and Dish will replace the receiver. After 4 months you can cancel the Protection Plan if you want to.

Dish will replace the receiver, plan or not. You'll just be charged a $17 shipping fee. I do not have the plan and I've only been charged the shipping fee when my 722 went south.

I have 3 leased box's besides the 722 so I couldn't get another. I went on ebay and got one "722K" from a dish retailer and verified the numbers with Mary on the DIRT team as being new, the 722 has been working fine since that day so it may have been a power issue at my house or something .

it shows high 132 and low 84 with a 122 avg, what should it be? I do own it but the prices I've seen for a replacement HD seem to have gone up to around a $100 or more. I can get a new 722k on ebay for around $250 -260 and maybe sell mine for a hundred or so and not have to mess with it. I'm home for lunch and it is still going so it may have been a overheating problem, I've had the top off and have it sitting in the open now. I've transferred all the content 'it took about a total of 8-9 hours without a problem" so I think I'll put it back together and see what happens.
Please read the 622/722 temp thread. There is a ton of info about keeping the 622/722 cool. For best results, I would keep the avg temp under 120. The units get a bit flaky with avg temps above 120. A small usb fan at the left rear of the unit will provide additional cooling. Amazon.com: Thermaltake Mobile Fan II External USB Cooling Fan - Us: Electronics

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)