722 Duo or 922 Duo to replace 512 DVR - No Hopper

mickey53usa

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
No Hopper, have an RV and take the bedroom receiver with me when we travel.
The 512 is dying (hard drive), plus it is old technology (no Ethernet). The best replacements appear to be the 722 or the 922. The 922 seems to have some issues. The 722 apparently has a similar interface as the 512. Cost difference between the two is about $100. Either the 722 or 922 would have the OTA adapter included. I can't seem to locate a comparison between the two devices.

TIA
Michael

Plenty of RVers use Hoppers.

The ViP922 is being slowly phased out. They recently deactivated the Sling feature for "new" placements and Dish really doesn't do new installs of them anymore. It has a bad history, although most of its problems seem behind it now. It's still becoming an orphan.

The ViP722 series is getting a bit long in the tooth, but still years left. The K variant requires you to install a separate OTA module.

You may want to consider a ViP211 series box. For a one time $40 fee and the cost of an EHD you could make it into a DVR.

Plenty of RVers use Hoppers.

The ViP922 is being slowly phased out. They recently deactivated the Sling feature for "new" placements and Dish really doesn't do new installs of them anymore. It has a bad history, although most of its problems seem behind it now. It's still becoming an orphan.

The ViP722 series is getting a bit long in the tooth, but still years left. The K variant requires you to install a separate OTA module.

You may want to consider a ViP211 series box. For a one time $40 fee and the cost of an EHD you could make it into a DVR.
922/722K & 222 all use the same OTA module about $35 from DISH, I would only consider the 722K.

No Hopper, have an RV and take the bedroom receiver with me when we travel.
The 512 is dying (hard drive), plus it is old technology (no Ethernet). The best replacements appear to be the 722 or the 922. The 922 seems to have some issues. The 722 apparently has a similar interface as the 512. Cost difference between the two is about $100. Either the 722 or 922 would have the OTA adapter included. I can't seem to locate a comparison between the two devices.

TIA
Michael
The 722 is a workhorse. Best receiver ever to come from Dish.....922?.....Boat anchor

The 722 is a workhorse. Best receiver ever to come from Dish.....922?.....Boat anchor
I couldn't agree more. This receiver was a CSR hell! I'm sure the techs felt it also(how many were you rolled out for one of their KPIs or to replace or just because nobody understood it's complete screw ups). Bastard child of dish, although it did use its donated specimen to deliver us the wonderful Hopper

Reactions: SomeDishGuy
and how often do you really need to boot up? The 722 comes with a single OTA tuner built in, the 722 needs an OTA module (extra charge) that has 2 tuners....

If I had a choice, and was not a power OTA watcher, I would rather have the straight 722.

Reactions: dare2be
With the 211, if you add the external HD, there is no monthly dvr fee like the 722 has. Less tuners, but no monthly dvr fee.

Out of curiosity why did you say no Hopper? With a Hopper and a Joey you could power 2 tv's in HD. With the ota model you would have 4 tuners or with a SJ 6 in the RV.

I beleive you, unfortunately I am only familiar with the 922. That was the one reason I never wanted to get promoted to the broadband team(they were the ones specifically deemed to work with those at one point in time), and then it happened. And I hated it. Then again, I hated working with Exede for awhile, but that has improved sooo much. Satellite internet really is a great option for some, but the 922 is so untrustworthy. Even if they fixed all the bugs I still wouldn't trust it.

The 921 was a well regarded unit. Many hated to let it go.
I was happy to trade mine in for a ViP622. Not having an ATSC tuner was a big downer.

Most of the possibilities it had were never realized so I suppose that's where much of my disappointment came from.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Is DISH reintroducing the 922 again? I was on the website and it was talking about non DVR solutions and it gave the 922 and 222 receivers...which is weird since Dish is not offering either anymore, and the 922 is a DVR. This was Mydish.com(I was actually looking for locals for someone, and stumbled on it)

If I had a choice, and was not a power OTA watcher, I would rather have the straight 722.
That was my reasoning when I got mine. I do sometimes wish I had access to the OTA tuner on TV2, but not enough to switch it out.

Almost all 900 series dvrs were pretty bad, Except the 942 model. That was a great receiver and it even did analog and digital ota channels. Many of the good features of the 722k came from that receiver. It was a great model to replace the 921 pvr that I had. I had the 921 pvr on a surge protector with an off /on switch . I used to reboot that thing once in the morning and once before prime time shows to make sure it recorded everything. It was buggy as hell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)