722 k signal loss when TV turned off

toddawn

Original poster
May 19, 2009
st peters mo
We have a Samsung TV and recently switched to DishNetwork and Received a 722 k receiver. Everytime we turn off the TV, the receiver "Hard Boots" and has to re-acquire signal. It occurs erratically (anywhere from 5 minutes to 8 hours) after the TV is turned off. (we cannot DVR anything while signal is lost)

DishNetwork's solutions so far have been to give us new receivers. We have had three so far. The first worked for about 4 weeks and then the problem started. The other 2 receivers had the problem immediately. Today they sent guys who reinstalled the entire system (cables and everything, except the receiver and dish). The problem persists. Tomorrow they are going to bring our 4th receiver.

We have experimented and kept the TV on all day, and never lost signal--Until the TV is turned off. The receiver whirrrrs, goes black (no lights on it at all) for 5 minutes, then a green TV1 light goes on for 1 minute, and then the receiver goes black again, if we want to watch or DVR anything we have to re-acquire signal (error 015).

No technician has been any help.

We have a Samsung TV and recently switched to DishNetwork and Received a 722 k receiver. Everytime we turn off the TV, the receiver "Hard Boots" and has to re-acquire signal. It occurs erratically (anywhere from 5 minutes to 8 hours) after the TV is turned off. (we cannot DVR anything while signal is lost)

DishNetwork's solutions so far have been to give us new receivers. We have had three so far. The first worked for about 4 weeks and then the problem started. The other 2 receivers had the problem immediately. Today they sent guys who reinstalled the entire system (cables and everything, except the receiver and dish). The problem persists. Tomorrow they are going to bring our 4th receiver.

We have experimented and kept the TV on all day, and never lost signal--Until the TV is turned off. The receiver whirrrrs, goes black (no lights on it at all) for 5 minutes, then a green TV1 light goes on for 1 minute, and then the receiver goes black again, if we want to watch or DVR anything we have to re-acquire signal (error 015).

No technician has been any help.

What is the model # of the Samsung? Do you have the TV set up on HDMI?

I have yet to see an odd problem like this that was not the result of either the system not being properly grounded, or an electrical problem within the house, or power strip being used. Could you please elaborate on how your system is hooked up?

Is the receiver plugged into a power strip, or directly into the outlet?

If it is in a power strip, is it the same power strip as the TV?

If it is directly into the outlet, is it the same outlet as the TV?

Is the outlet that everything is hooked up to wired correctly, and does it have a valid ground plug (3 prong outlet, with current wiring for ground)?

Is there a power conditioner installed somewhere that could be messing with the actual ground for the outlet the TV or receiver is plugged into?

Is the system properly grounded to your houses main ground (the copper wire that should be coming out of your electrical meter) or is it grounded to something else? (or possibly not even grounded at all)

Are there other components in the system that may be on a separate circuit within you house that could be causing an issue due to an improperly wired outlet?

How is the receiver connected to the TV (Component, HDMI, etc??)

The more info you provide, the more we can try to help. Many times there is nothing the Techs can do as they are not electricians, and may not even understand the complex ways electricity can react to certain situations.

Could you please elaborate on how your system is hooked up? I know that yesterday they pulled all new cable and checked all the "set up" from dish to receiver--no help.

Is the receiver plugged into a power strip, or directly into the outlet? Directly into a wall outlet, it has been in a separate wall outlet from the TV as a result of previous suggestions--no help

If it is in a power strip, is it the same power strip as the TV? NO power strip

If it is directly into the outlet, is it the same outlet as the TV? Have tried both with and without--no difference

Is the outlet that everything is hooked up to wired correctly, and does it have a valid ground plug (3 prong outlet, with current wiring for ground)? Yes, my dad is an electrician, it has the appropriate voltage.

Is there a power conditioner installed somewhere that could be messing with the actual ground for the outlet the TV or receiver is plugged into? I am not sure. What could I look for to check on this???

Is the system properly grounded to your houses main ground (the copper wire that should be coming out of your electrical meter) or is it grounded to something else? (or possibly not even grounded at all) According to the dishnetwork guys yesterday--yes

Are there other components in the system that may be on a separate circuit within you house that could be causing an issue due to an improperly wired outlet? Not sure how to check this.

How is the receiver connected to the TV (Component, HDMI, etc??) HDMI cable, I have tried two different ones--no help.

The more info you provide, the more we can try to help. Many times there is nothing the Techs can do as they are not electricians, and may not even understand the complex ways electricity can react to certain situations.

The TV is a Samsung LN32A550

So if the problem goes away with the component cables, what is the point of an HD receiver??
Yeah, component is just as "HD" as using DVI or HDMI to 90+ % of people's eyes. Most people who claim one is better than the other just believe there's a difference. Admittedly, I can tell a difference between component and DVI input on my RPTV, but I won't say one is better than the other.

Well, we will not be able to tell a difference, we have a 32 inch TV and only recently switched to HD satellite.

Thanks to all with the suggestions. I am going out to buy the cables now.

I have had the HDMI cable unhooked the last couple of hours and the receiver has not turned off. I will update you if it solved the problem.

No one has asked

How are you getting local TV channels? What I'm asking is there a cable system hook up in your house system? The ground potential is almost always different from it than the sat system will have.

Interesting, I do have a Coaxil cable to an antenna in the attic, but I also have local channels through Dish Network (it did not cost more to have it.

The DishNetwork Tech followed up and brought out the component cables and so far the removal of the HDMI cable seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks for all the help. I will be back if there are continued problems.

Last edited:
Heh, you know what's really sad ? Dish keeps giving you receivers and remanufacturing perfectly good ones in their so-called troubleshooting whereas in a little over 12 hours, we tell you not to use HDMI and may have solved your problem...

Check with Samsung to see if there are firmware updates for your TV and you may be able to use HDMI again.

start a chat with dish at tech.dishnetwork.com and ask agent to fill out a TPR for this so engineers can be alerted to this issue. also ask them to check if any KPI known for samsung tv with 722k receiver via hdmi.

Heh, you know what's really sad ? Dish keeps giving you receivers and remanufacturing perfectly good ones in their so-called troubleshooting whereas in a little over 12 hours, we tell you not to use HDMI and may have solved your problem...
You are being modest. ;) Looking back over this thread, we have:

1. 5/19 21:23 OP
  2. 5/19 22:09 daveray asked about HDMI cable
  3. 5/20 00:47 JohnH fingered HDMI/HDCP
  4. 5/20 00:55 seconded by yourself (hall)
  5. 5/20 08:20 Scott confirmed he's seen this problem
And that's ignoring the other good troubleshooting tips from the rest of us. So, IMHO you should say "problem solved" in about 3.5 hrs. :D