722 OTA recording / not conflicting / not recording either!

TheWGP

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Earth
Well, I'm not sure what the heck is going on with this, so thought I'd ask. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong...

I have a 722 with Eastern Arc, and an antenna hooked up. I've got decently reliable signal on all four networks from the antenna.

The problem is this: when three things are set to record, it will say it's recording TWO THINGS on tuner 1 and one thing on tuner 2! Obviously that doesn't work, but why doesn't it a) use OTA for one of them or b) say it has a conflict?

Example tonight at 9pm: I have dishpasses set up for Hell's Kitchen on Fox, The Office on NBC and CSI on CBS. In the schedule, it shows tuner 1 recording CSI, tuner 1 recording Hell's Kitchen, and tuner 2 recording CSI. There is no OTA antenna icon anywhere. I let this schedule fire off just to watch what would happen.

At 9:00, in the guide there were "recording tuner 1" icons on BOTH Hell's Kitchen and The Office (on the -00 Dish channels, NOT the -01 OTA). Tuner 2 was recording CSI without incident. The thing is, ONLY The office and CSI showed up in the DVR list as recording.

I forced a manual OTA recording of Hell's Kitchen on the -01 channel, and that seems to be working fine.

My question is simply why this situation didn't produce a conflict or switch one thing to OTA? The dishpasses are set to new episodes on ALL channels, so it could easily have switched from the -00 channel to the -01 for one show and solved the issue (in fact, this is what I was hoping it would do when I hooked up the antenna!) If I have to manually schedule every time I want to have 3 programs at the same time, that makes the antenna essentially worthless, since I might as well watch live TV since I have to be at the TV at a specific time, making the DVR part pointless.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

I set it to all channels hoping that it would automatically use either the 00 or the 01, whichever had a tuner available.

That, and I really would rather ONLY use the 01 to record if BOTH 00-tuners are unavailable, because you never know when some freakish signal interruption will happen with the antenna (only during something my wife desperately wants recorded, naturally!)

If there's no way to do this, I guess I can manually go through and set certain programs to always record OTA.

Still doesn't explain why it would say TWO things are recording on tuner 1 when obviously only one is!

Look at the timers list & see if one of them says "skipped" The DVR's will skip a timer if it's a duplicate.... Essentially the DVR is saying "I'm going to record one, but not both 'cause its the same show"

That's the thing - the timers say "recording on tuner 1" for two shows. The main schedule also shows two shows as "recording on tuner 1" with the icons. Obviously this is impossible, and should prompt one to be skipped by priority (ignoring the desired switching-to-OTA idea here). The real question is why it's not doing this.

This is simple, set the program to record on the 01 OTA in the EPG, forget useing dishpass, it will not show as tuner 1 or 2 but will have the little antenna. This is the only way you can record three channels at the same time

Sounds like you are creating conflicts by trying to avoid them. I agree, get rid of the dishpasses! They are always a mess. If you are afraid it will miss a program if you set it only to OTA, set two timers--one OTA and one from the satellite. Give the OTA a higher priority, and if it gets skipped by another OTA with a higher priority yet, it will pick it up on the satellite feed. I do this to avoid missing programs and it works great!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)