722 pulling two IPs

Actually, I should clarify. With Class A you have 16.7 million possible hosts (256 * 256 * 256), but with Port Address Translation, since TCP and UDP port numbers are 16 bits long, you'd "only" be able to have 2 ^16, or port numbers 0 through 65,535, thus "limiting" you to 64,000 or so devices on your home network.

Aw crap!!! That changes everything!!!!:D

Thanks for the help. It's not hurting anything. I was just curious as to why. I was also wondering why the IPs are 10.x.x.x, and not the standard 192.168.x.x? It even states in the instructions and notes that 192.168.x.x is the default. Should I change these or leave it alone?

I think I can answer this one as I just ran into it last week. Netgear routers will change their LAN IP scheme to 10.x.x.x without warning if they see a 192.168.x.x network on the WAN port. In my case it was a rouge DHCP server on the network caused by someone having a router's WAN cable hooked up to one of the LAN ports by mistake.

This can also be caused by some cable and DSL modems that have embedded management servers operating in a 192.168.x.x scheme.

More info here: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=29096

sigmtr

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts