722 remote ?

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
I recently ran a cat 6 cable using the component output of my 722 receiver to another tv in a different room. I would like to be able to control the 722 in the distant room via uhf & still control the 722 in the original room via ir? Is that possible? I use the receiver in single mode & have both of the original remotes? What do I need to make this possible?

You just need the right remotes. 21.x remotes are what you are looking for. Set them both for the same address, go to system info, and use the UHF remote to do the programming. Hit record three times. You'll see it say "ir\uhf" and the remote address. Make sure they both have the 1 chip at the bottom.

I don't know how you can run the composite output over cat6... Usually in my experience, the modulated output is run over coax. Is that what you meant?

Anyhow, if you see a reasonable picture at all, what you want to do with the remotes is definitely possible. That's how it's supposed to work in single or dual mode. Was your UHF remote ever set up for the TV2 output?

Over a short distance one can use twisted pair for component signal. I used cat 5 soldered to RCA jacks years ago for component connection. For composite one needs 2 sets of cat 5, but it is easier to run compared to component cables.
As for the question remote 2 should work fine as it is UHF and when in single mode the tv2 remote works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bnewt
I don't know how you can run the composite output over cat6... Usually in my experience, the modulated output is run over coax. Is that what you meant?

Anyhow, if you see a reasonable picture at all, what you want to do with the remotes is definitely possible. That's how it's supposed to work in single or dual mode. Was your UHF remote ever set up for the TV2 output?

I ran component over cat6 not composite & it works great

Reactions: osu1991
You just need the right remotes. 21.x remotes are what you are looking for. Set them both for the same address, go to system info, and use the UHF remote to do the programming. Hit record three times. You'll see it say "ir\uhf" and the remote address. Make sure they both have the 1 chip at the bottom.

are these different from the original remotes that came with the 722?

what is the difference between 20.x & 21.x remotes?

Over a short distance one can use twisted pair for component signal. I used cat 5 soldered to RCA jacks years ago for component connection. For composite one needs 2 sets of cat 5, but it is easier to run compared to component cables.
As for the question remote 2 should work fine as it is UHF and when in single mode the tv2 remote works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip regarding the tv2 remote.........attached the antenna & works great

I'm a fan of tv1 UHF, but for the extreme anal retentive out there, there is a slight lag compared to IR usually. To me, it's barely noticeable and not a game changer, but you would not beleive how much people would call in about that crap.

I'm a fan of tv1 UHF, but for the extreme anal retentive out there, there is a slight lag compared to IR usually. To me, it's barely noticeable and not a game changer, but you would not beleive how much people would call in about that crap.

when I do receiver swaps on service calls I ask if they want the ability to control the box without pointing the remote at the receiver so I take the new 21.1 remote flip the key over and link it with the receiver and link their old tv 2 remote to the new box if its in decent condition, every customer I have done this for thinks its the coolest thing since sliced bread.

I agree. Heck. I know that technology very well, and I am still impressed by it. My new favorite is hdmi CEC. Don't even have to be looking at the tv to turn it on. Just hit "sat" and everything comes up.
But it was just a point that the difference is minor, something I would point out to the customer, but in my opinion UHF is overall greater then ir

I actually just ordered 4 new 21.xx ir/uhf remotes to replace some older uhf remotes. $8 a piece. I have them all over the house and use the 722 in single mode and I use my slingbox and wdtv to get HD to a few second tvs and use the uhf remotes

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I actually just ordered 4 new 21.xx ir/uhf remotes to replace some older uhf remotes. $8 a piece. I have them all over the house and use the 722 in single mode and I use my slingbox and wdtv to get HD to a few second tvs and use the uhf remotes

I rolled on a service call(which was a bad lnbf) where the customer had multiple 722's with no cable runs for tv 2's he had these rf link things with directional antenna's that where connected to the tv 2 rca jacks on the back of the receivers and then another unit positioned by the tv 2's.

I rolled on a service call(which was a bad lnbf) where the customer had multiple 722's with no cable runs for tv 2's he had these rf link things with directional antenna's that where connected to the tv 2 rca jacks on the back of the receivers and then another unit positioned by the tv 2's.

I've seen something similiar to that. I use the slingbox and wdtv boxes to send my sat signal to my lake house on weekends and to a condo in Vegas I share with my dad. So they are an added benefit to use around the house too. My dad has the same setup so he just switches the slingbox acct in the wdtv in Vegas to his when he is there and I switch it back to mine when I am there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)