722 sluggishness, will it ever end?

No one suggested that the remote will actually interrupt recordings. All commands are done through CPU interrupts that last microseconds. All recordings are through reading and writing into memory not in real time. We are talking here about random delays of several seconds, these delays never existed before!

Its like any other software update Dish does, they fix one problem and introduce 3 new problems. We the customers are their beta testers, this is unacceptable!!!

Last edited:
I talked to my distributor today and they talked to an engineer at Dish. The engineer said they are aware of the problem and have had enough reports to escalate the situation. There is a fix in the process and it can only be done by a software update.

Well, if there's a fix in the works, it certainly hasn't arrived. My replacement receiver is now two or three FW updates beyond what it was when I got it, and the issue is still not fixed.

After reading this thread, I have to state I have the only 722K that works. I press the guide button and it pops up in less than 3/4 of a second. It has always worked that way since I received it in June. Yes, it is connected to the internet and has received updates. No problem with mine.

RT

RT-Cat "Yes, it is connected to the internet and has received updates. No problem with mine."

Updates come from the satellites, not by Internet.

Mine works fine until I push too many buttons, not knowing if got the first, second, ....
Then it will reboot because I am recording and transferring and watching. Overload.
Well only a few times, then I slow down.

-Ken

I'm guessing that it is being caused by poor software handling on receivers that have a lot of timers/events scheduled/recorded and/or related to the same with OTA events if you have an OTA connected. I've seen this too on my 622.

No problems on my 722. I switched to dish from cablevision a few years back though, and if you want to see a sluggish receiver, cablevision takes the cake. That was actually one of the main reasons I switched. Surfing around with their equipment was unbearable.

the l750 firmware seems to have fixed the slow response and guide issues for me, and I have not noticed any other issues yet...

Don't hold your breath. One of my 722Ks that had sluggishness from L662 thru L685, no sluggishness from L685-L690, now has random (albeit very short) bouts of sluggishness on L750.

I've also already had sluggishness on my 722k that went to L750. The other 722k is still at L690 ... both have had sluggishness with each firmware from day one (Dec 2010) Sometimes a few days goes by with no problems, sometimes its half a day, sometimes two or three days with sluggish behavior during normal use times (5pm through midnight)

I'm guessing that it is being caused by poor software handling on receivers that have a lot of timers/events scheduled/recorded and/or related to the same with OTA events if you have an OTA connected. I've seen this too on my 622.
Well, an interesting theory. In my case, when the guide is bad, the receiver isn't doing anything other than playing live TV. And while there are a few timers pending (doesn't everyone have timers pending?) and a fair amount of programs recorded, as someone who used to write a fair amount of code, I am having trouble connecting those dots. A task list should be pretty simple, and recorded programs are just files sitting there on disk, so I'm not convinced. No OTA on this box, either.

As far as it being widespread, my replacement is doing it, my dad's original is doing it, and my satellite guy's two 722Ks at his home are doing it, too. Wish my old receiver's HDD hadn't decided to get squiffy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)