722 smoked, second one in a month

Warren Mcq

Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
OK, Long time lurker, first time posting..........

I recently upgraded to HD and bought a 722, it worked well for about two weeks and then just died in the middle of a movie with all the indicator LEDs on the front twinkling away like a little Christmas tree. I had read the topic on heat and figured that the unit died of heat stroke so I had Dish send me a replacement.

The location of the receiver is in an entertainment center on a shelf all by itself with about 6 inches open on each side and about two inches over the top.
The back is closed but the receiver has about 6 inches between the connector panel and the back of the shelf.

I got the new receiver in about three days and hooked it up using HDMI with connections also to the Phone line, Ethernet, Sat 1 and 2 and the OTA antenna.

I also installed a pair of exhaust fans sucking air from the left side of the receiver.

The last time I checked the temps they were at Hi 138, Low 97, average 114.
I would have thought the fans would have given me lower temps then that but it's two weeks now with the replacement receiver and the setup described above and "POOF" the picture and sound go away with the smell of toasted 722 and no signs of life in the receiver at all.

I called Dish and another replacement is on the way.
I don't want to burn up another receiver so I hope you all can tell me what I've done wrong and what I can do to avoid the problem in the future.

Thanks,
Warren in Arizona

Not sure

OK, Long time lurker, first time posting..........

I recently upgraded to HD and bought a 722, it worked well for about two weeks and then just died in the middle of a movie with all the indicator LEDs on the front twinkling away like a little Christmas tree. I had read the topic on heat and figured that the unit died of heat stroke so I had Dish send me a replacement.

The location of the receiver is in an entertainment center on a shelf all by itself with about 6 inches open on each side and about two inches over the top.
The back is closed but the receiver has about 6 inches between the connector panel and the back of the shelf.

I got the new receiver in about three days and hooked it up using HDMI with connections also to the Phone line, Ethernet, Sat 1 and 2 and the OTA antenna.

I also installed a pair of exhaust fans sucking air from the left side of the receiver.

The last time I checked the temps they were at Hi 138, Low 97, average 114.
I would have thought the fans would have given me lower temps then that but it's two weeks now with the replacement receiver and the setup described above and "POOF" the picture and sound go away with the smell of toasted 722 and no signs of life in the receiver at all.

I called Dish and another replacement is on the way.
I don't want to burn up another receiver so I hope you all can tell me what I've done wrong and what I can do to avoid the problem in the future.

Thanks,
Warren in Arizona

Not sure you did anything wrong. It maybe that you got a power spike and took out the power supply. Do you have any surge protection on the unit. Was there any bad weather at the time that could have had lightening? 2 with similar burn out seems to indicate that there may be something that is causing the problem not the receivers but could be that you just happened to get a refurb that had a weak power supply that went bad after you installed it.

Thanks,

It's connected to an oversized UPS and none of my other components have problems.
It's dry, calm and in the seventies here.
I've plugged in my backup receiver (508D) and it came on with no problem.
I know what you're saying about maybe two lemons but I hate coincidences
I guess we'll see if three's a charm.
I don't like the smell of burning 722.

Warren in Arizona

Me too...

I had two 722 failures as well. New unit went out after a week, replacement refurb went out after a week. Both constantly rebooting. Dish support says since I had two units fail with power-related issues they have to send a tech to check the installation.

I've improved the grounding and got a UPS for the units. 10 years of Dish at this address and never had any problems before, just since upgrading to the 722.

The tech is coming this afternoon. If he has anything interesting to say I'll post it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts