722 toslink audio problem

Sremick.....
I checked and neither the 622 or 722 put out audio in dolby over HDMI if it is routed via the HDMI thru my Samsung DLP TV then routed to the amp via optical - it will not work......and has something to do with the DLP TV cannot put dolby out it's output....perhaps this is what you are running into? I believe the HDMI has to go directly to the amp and the amp must specifically be able to process HDMI audio.....not just do HDMI switching on the video.....if I am wrong someone please correct me.......I know it is frustrating..........it is a mixture of TV, AMP, and DISH capabilities which can make it a nightmare!!!!
Are you saying that the 722 will not send a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal through its HDMI output?

Because the 722's optical digital audio output port is incompatible with my McIntosh audio system, I was planning on running the 722's HDMI to my new upcoming HDTV HDMI input and then running the TV's optical digital audio output to my McIntosh's optical digital audio input. The HDTV I plan on getting (Panasonic plasma) outputs Dolby Digital 5.1 through its digital audio output. But if that will not give me DD 5.1 then I'll have no choice but to switch to DirecTV.

Are you saying that the 722 will not send a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal through its HDMI output?
No, I'm saying while most people have no problem using the HDMI from the 722 for audio, there are a number of people for whom it doesn't work for no good reason.

I resorted to using the fiber toslink cable, which works fine and I don't lose anything but it's one extra cable I shouldn't have to use cluttering things up (which are cluttered enough).
At least it's the skinniest one.;)

No, I'm saying while most people have no problem using the HDMI from the 722 for audio, there are a number of people for whom it doesn't work for no good reason.
Interesting. I guess I won't know if my 722's HDMI works correctly for DD 5.1 until I get my new HDTV and try it. Dish has real problems with its audio signals. This is ridiculous.

Interesting. I guess I won't know if my 722's HDMI works correctly for DD 5.1 until I get my new HDTV and try it. Dish has real problems with its audio signals. This is ridiculous.
To be honest, there have only been a small handful of people reporting problems. Currently, just three of you. Two with a toslink problem, the other HDMI. And the odds are, at least one of them is the receiver. Sorry, I have to give give broad statements like that a slap on the wrist.;)

To be honest, there have only been a small handful of people reporting problems. Currently, just three of you. Two with a toslink problem, the other HDMI. And the odds are, at least one of them is the receiver. Sorry, I have to give give broad statements like that a slap on the wrist.;)
The problem I experience is not a fault with my audio equipment; it works perfect on every source except the 722. Dish advised me that others have reported the same problem and they claim to be working on a fix. If they can't fix it soon or if my workaround/bypass solution (when I get my new HDTV as I explained above) doesn't work then I'll go elsewhere (after 12 loyal years).

The problem I experience is not a fault with my audio equipment; it works perfect on every source except the 722. Dish advised me that others have reported the same problem and they claim to be working on a fix. If they can't fix it soon or if my workaround/bypass solution (when I get my new HDTV as I explained above) doesn't work then I'll go elsewhere (after 12 loyal years).
What does getting a new HDTV have to do with it?

I feel your pain. I can take the exact same HDMI cable, plugged into the exact same input on my AVR, and it works with other devices (both my DVD player and my BD player). Plug it into the ViP722, and no sound.

It's not the cable, and it's not the receiver.

If there's some buried mysterious setting I'm missing in the 722 to make this work, then by all means I welcome being educated by anyone on this forum. But the problem won't be solved by fingerpointing at everything but what process of elimination has narrowed it down to, and assuming the 722 must be innocent because their 722 works fine. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't hold your breath on a fix. It's been this way since I got my ViP722 last year.

What does getting a new HDTV have to do with it?
I upgraded to the 722 in preparation of getting an HDTV. In the meantime, I'm using an old CRT TV and running an optical digital audio cable from the 722 to my audio surround sound system (and experiencing severe intermittent audio problems which I did not have with the 501 receiver and do not have from any other source). Assuming Dish can't fix the 722's optical audio port problem.....when I get a new HDTV I plan on not using the 722's optical digital audio output port. I plan instead to run an HDMI cable from the 722 to the HDTV and then run an optical digital audio cable from the HDTV to my audio surround system. I believe that should be a viable a bypass solution. We'll see.

I plan instead to run an HDMI cable from the 722 to the HDTV and then run an optical digital cable from the HDTV to my audio surround system. I believe that should be a viable a bypass solution. We'll see.
Nearly every HDTV made since about two years ago WILL NOT pass dolby digital through toslink out from external devices. Only OTA received by TV tuner will pass dolby. You will just get stereo surround.

Doubt it. Nearly every HDTV made since about two years ago WILL NOT pass dolby digital through toslink out from external devices. Only OTA received by TV tuner will pass dolby. You will just get stereo surround.
I'll probably get a Panasonic plasma TV. I called Panasonic Tech (1-877-958-4372) and was told that their TV's digital audio output (toslink) will pass a Dolby Digital signal if it received a DD signal (5.1 - 7.1) via an HDMI 1.3 cable from an external device such as satellite and cable boxes. HDMI 1.2 cables pass only 2 channel stereo from the TV.

A friend of mine has a year 2008 Panasonic plasma HDTV and has DirecTV. His setup is exactly as I propose and it works perfect for him. He runs an HDMI 1.3 cable from his DirecTV receiver to his Panasonic HDTV and then runs a toslink audio cable from the TV's digital audio output to his Dennon receiver and gets DD 7.1 sound.

He runs an HDMI 1.3 cable from his DirecTV receiver to his Panasonic HDTV and then runs a toslink audio cable from the TV's digital audio output to his Dennon receiver and gets DD 7.1 sound.
That's bass akwards

That's bass akwards
But it works.

I prefer to connect audio devices directly to my surround sound equipment but if I have to go through the TV first (because of Dish's flawed 722 optical digital output port) then so be it. Hopefully there would be no noticeable loss in sound quality or sync issues.

But it works.

I prefer to connect audio devices directly to my surround sound equipment but if I have to go through the TV first (because of Dish's flawed 722 optical digital output port) then so be it. Hopefully there would be no noticeable loss in sound quality or sync issues.

I randomly selected one of the new Panasonic plasma models. The NOTE below was copied from here, page 31.
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TCP42X1.PDF

Note
Individual HDMI equipment may require additional menu settings specific to each model. Please refer to their
respective operating instruction manuals.
When audio from other equipment connected to this unit via HDMI is output using “DIGITAL AUDIO OUT” of this
unit, the system switches to 2CH audio.
(When connecting to an AV amp via HDMI, you can enjoy higher sound quality.)
About HDMI cable for connecting Panasonic HD camcorder, read the manual of the equipment.

Other models may differ, but this one reflects the norm. So, make sure you check on the manual for the one you want to buy.

Last edited:
I randomly selected one of the new Panasonic plasma models. The NOTE below was copied from here, page 31.
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TCP42X1.PDF

Note
Individual HDMI equipment may require additional menu settings specific to each model. Please refer to their
respective operating instruction manuals.
When audio from other equipment connected to this unit via HDMI is output using “DIGITAL AUDIO OUT” of this
unit, the system switches to 2CH audio.
(When connecting to an AV amp via HDMI, you can enjoy higher sound quality.)
About HDMI cable for connecting Panasonic HD camcorder, read the manual of the equipment.

Other models may differ, but this one reflects the norm. So, make sure you check on the manual for the one you want to buy.
Thanks but I had already seen that in their owner's manual and that's what prompted me to call them. They told me that the owner's manual is not correct wrt HDMI 1.3 cables and will be revised accordingly. I hope that what they told me is correct because I have little faith that Dish will be able to fix their flawed 722.

Either way, I'm in the immediate market for a new HDTV and I'll probably be getting Panasonic's new V series or G10 series plasma TV. If I discover that their TV indeed does not pass a Dolby Digital signal then I'll be saying adios to Dish unless they find a fix for the 722 in the meantime.

Well, I'm 100% confident you'll be moving. Check out AVS forums and highdefforum. Lots of threads confirming the manual. It is an industry standard spurred on by DRM.

Well, I'm 100% confident you'll be moving. Check out AVS forums and highdefforum. Lots of threads confirming the manual. It is an industry standard spurred on by DRM.
I called Panasonic and spoke to a different tech today. He said as far as he knows their TV's Digital Audio Out will only pass 2 channel audio. However, he said that they have only tested it with HDMI 1.2 cable. He doesn't know what would happen if they tried a 1.3 cable and he'll suggest they run such a test.

I'll check AVS forums.

Thanks for the info.

However, he said that they have only tested it with HDMI 1.2 cable. He doesn't know what would happen if they tried a 1.3 cable and he'll suggest they run such a test.
It is NOT a technical capability issue. It is a design issue. It is INTENDED. Since when did you start believing phone techs?;)

It is NOT a technical capability issue. It is a design issue. It is INTENDED. Since when did you start believing phone techs?;)
From what I've learned you are absolutely correct. Sucks for me. I really don't want to leave Dish but they give me no choice if they can't fix their 722 receiver soon. Time Warner cable (yuck!) has a fix for the compatibility issue I'm having, why can't Dish?

I know.....never believe a phone tech. I often know more than they do.

I checked with Samsung regarding there HL61A750 DLP and I quote:
When the receiver (home theater) is set to On, you can hear sound output from
the TV’s Optical jack. When the TV is displaying a DTV(air) signal, the TV will send
out 5.1 channel sound to the Home theater receiver. When the source is a digital
component such as a DVD and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 channel
sound will be heard from the Home Theater receiver.
If you want to hear 5.1 channel audio, connect the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT
(OPTICAL) jack on the DVD player or Cable/Satellite Box directly to an Amplifier or
Home Theater, not the TV.
This is out of their Users Manual. It is irregardless of using 1.3 HDMI cable so it appears a playstation, xbox, dish network receiver or whatever would not put out dolby digital hooked up to most HDTV's HDMI and then via toslink to receiver.
I still have to deal with the problem of certain HD channels not being decoded correctly by my Denon Amp when hooked up via toslink. and can wait to see if they correct it.
I am more upset that I have probably close to a grand tied up in dish equipment and they pulled ABC (Fisher Broadcasting) off the air and can't seem to come to terms. If I switch from Dish it will be costly - if I stay with Dish it will be costly buying a new Amp. I guess I am stuck with Dish, although I have to say their picture is way better than cable provides!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts