722 TV2 output is snowy with OTA antenna connected

medic29

Original poster
Sep 12, 2013
IL
I have an original 722 receiver located in my living room. TV1 tuner output is connected to my living room TV via HDMI cable. The output from TV2 tuner output is connected via coax and runs up into my attic. Originally the coax from TV2 tuner was connected to a 3-way splitter which had coax connected to it with runs to each bedroom TV. The modulation was set for TV2 to "cable" and set to channel 75. Everything worked as expected in all rooms.

Recently I added an OTA antenna and wanted it setup so that I could have both satellite and OTA channels available on the bedroom TVs. To do this I connected the coax from the OTA antenna to a dual splitter and the coax from the TV2 tuner output to the dual splitter, then ran a short coax from the dual splitter to the 3-way splitter sending signal to the bedrooms. I also changed the modulation for TV2 tuner to "air" and changed the channel to 25 (which is not close to any of my OTA channels). Then I did a channel search for the bedroom TVs and found all of the OTA channels and the TV2 tuner output. The OTA channels are incredibly clear. The display from TV2 tuner on channel 25 was incredibly snowy and could barely be seen. After doing some research online it sounded like I needed to use a diplexer instead of the dual splitter.

I got a diplexer and replaced the dual splitter with the diplexer; connecting the TV2 tuner coax and OTA antenna coax where indicated on the diplexer. The signal from TV2 tuner was better on the bedroom TVs, but not clear. With this knowledge I did some experimenting. I connected the coax from one bedroom directly to the diplexer. The OTA channels were crystal clear as was the signal from TV2 tuner. So I thought maybe the signal from TV2 tuner was not strong enough so I added a signal amplifier between the diplexer and the 3-way splitter and reconnected the coax from the bedroom back to the 3-way splitter, then checked again. The OTA channel reception was unchanged. The signal from TV2 tuner was better on the bedroom TVs, but still has some snow noticeable and was not crystal clear as previously.

I am at a loss right now because before adding the OTA antenna there was no problem with any TV which makes me believe the 3-way splitter is okay as it was used in the previous setup. The only thing that has changed is trying to combine the signals from TV2 and the OTA antenna; and the only signal there is a problem with is the signal from TV2 tuner. Should I place the signal amplifier before the diplexer, thus coax from TV2 tuner to the amplifier to the diplexer? I hadn't tried that. Maybe my dual splitter isn't any good and I should try a new one. In thinking about this, I'm not sure I need a diplexer because I'm thinking the output from the TV2 tuner shouldn't be a satellite signal, but rather a signal similar to what is coming from the OTA antenna.

I don't know. Any help would be appreciated. I am sure it is probably something simple, but I'm just not finding it right now.

Put the 2 way splitter in place of the diplexer and put the amplifier before the 2 way splitter on the TV2 line. Post a TV fool report on your OTA channels you may have a channel close to 25.

What city are your OTA channels on?

OTA channels are commonly NOT broadcast on the same channel that is displayed on the tuner. So you might actually have a local channel distributed on 25 or close to 25. But I can check for sure if you let me know your city for OTA.

EDIT: Doohhh, missed boba's post. Walked away for a few minutes and must have missed it. His TV fool idea is exactly what I was talking about.

Last edited:
Also, try changing the channel around. Even if there isn't a broadcast channel near 25, there might be some noise picked up by the antenna around the frequency.

On the 722 what channel do you have the TV2 output set to. Is it set to cable or antenna? If cable change it to antenna and then do a scan on the tv's that are hooked to output 2. See if that helps

I would change the channel that you have TV2 outputting on. I have run into this problem before when combining TV2 and OTA together. For years we would always have TV2 modulated for channel 60 and then suddenly the signal got very snowy. We started getting more calls from people that had the same issue. We finally found out the one thing everyone had in common, they had TV2 modulated for channel 60 and it was combined with OTA. I changed the modulated channel from 60 to 50 and it fixed the issue.

I switched out the diplexer and put and actual splitter in its place this morning and all is well. Everything is working perfectly. When I checked what I had initially used and thought was a splitter was actually a separator which explains why it didn't work.

For what it is worth, I had changed channels seeing if a different channel would work prior to posting for help. Also in the original post I had stated I had set the modulator to air.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts