722 vs 612

mfoster711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
College Station, Tx
So what exactly is the real difference between a 722 and a 612 receiver? It seems likes the only real difference is the 722 has a TV2 output option and a slightly bigger hard drive. Is there anything else different about the two receivers? I guess it just hit me recently that the 612 and 722 both have two tuners so both are capable of recording two shows at once while allowing you to watch a recording at the same time. Is this correct?

I currently have two 722 DVRs and one 612 on my account so I am paying $17 and $10 for the two extra DVRs. The 612 is in my gameroom for the kids but honestly they rarely use it and when they do they only watch Disney channels which currently are only available in SD. My second 722 is in my office where I do most of my TV viewing but I never really use the TV2 output for this 722. So, I was thinking about returning the 722 to save $17/month and moving the 612 to my office but I wanted to make sure I really did not lose any features in my office since this is my primary viewing location. I would connect the gameroom TV to the TV2 output on the main 722 receiver and the kids would never know the difference.

So what exactly is the real difference between a 722 and a 612 receiver? It seems likes the only real difference is the 722 has a TV2 output option and a slightly bigger hard drive. Is there anything else different about the two receivers? I guess it just hit me recently that the 612 and 722 both have two tuners so both are capable of recording two shows at once while allowing you to watch a recording at the same time. Is this correct?

I currently have two 722 DVRs and one 612 on my account so I am paying $17 and $10 for the two extra DVRs. The 612 is in my gameroom for the kids but honestly they rarely use it and when they do they only watch Disney channels which currently are only available in SD. My second 722 is in my office where I do most of my TV viewing but I never really use the TV2 output for this 722. So, I was thinking about returning the 722 to save $17/month and moving the 612 to my office but I wanted to make sure I really did not lose any features in my office since this is my primary viewing location. I would connect the gameroom TV to the TV2 output on the main 722 receiver and the kids would never know the difference.

The 612 receiver a good receiver but switching your home as you stated will save you $10.00 a month and if it works for your usage then it would be a money saving solution. Good Luck!

Sorry I read your configuation wrong and it would be $17.00 a month savings. I was thinking you were going to connect the gameroom to the TV2 of the second 722, not the first!! It has been a long day!! Sorry!

Picture in Picture..Better software.. Em.. in general.. the 722 works.. The 612 should have been left on the developers floor..

You are behind the times. That was true when they first came out. Not only are they good, with the recent software updates, they may be better at the moment than the 722. No sluggish remote response, no multiple posts about missed timers, no multiple posts about partial guide downloads. (Not counting the occasional defective unit anyone could get with any electronic item or other factors beyond the unit itself) In addition the built in OTA tuner works very well.

Picture in Picture..Better software.. Em.. in general.. the 722 works.. The 612 should have been left on the developers floor..
I agree with Tampa8 my 612 is currently working as expected. I am not sure about the OTA tuner, I think my DISH DTV PAL has a better tuner but OTA tuners have never been DISH's strong point.

Tampa8 said:
You are behind the times. That was true when they first came out. Not only are they good, with the recent software updates, they may be better at the moment than the 722. No sluggish remote response, no multiple posts about missed timers, no multiple posts about partial guide downloads. (Not counting the occasional defective unit anyone could get with any electronic item or other factors beyond the unit itself) In addition the built in OTA tuner works very well.

Lack of multiple posts could also mean less people on this forum have them and we will never know thier complaints.

612 has been very reliable for us.Also have a 722 and in some regards the 612 is more stable.

I have had a 612 (and a 211) for just over two years now. No major problems (had some growing pains getting OTA recording correctly). I do wish it had PiP, but I didn't do research before ordering.

I have a 612 & 622. I've got the 612 hooked up as you described. One HDTV in my office via component and one SD via coax in my bedroom using the existing mid-90s house wiring. It works fine. I'm using a old remote from a 510 receiver for as a 2nd remote which works fine for controlling the 612. I do think the 612 has better software than the 622. (maybe because it isn't burdened down with some options) My biggest complaint would be that it reboots in the middle of the night and when it does, it sounds like a vacuum being turned on. In my case, this rules out putting it in a bedroom. You would think they would have thought that one out a little better.

I have a 722 and a 612. Note my 722 is not the k version. I had the k but the guide was too slow and I sold it.

My 612 works pretty well flawlessly. My 722 is the same and it has TV2 an PiP as mentioned. I would vote the 722 as the best Dish receiver right now. The 612 would come in second.

I swapped my 612 for a 722k. The reciever was incredibly slow and buggy when I had it. When the 722k was put in all of the problems went away. Yes the UHF remote is nice but now with my 722K I have two UHF remotes with a simple $20 remote purchase from Dish.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

I was upgraded yesterday from a 522 to a 722 and (currently) Dish America Silver. Since I have had it no more than a day I can't really say much but can compare it to the 522. The recording time is obviously better. The one thing I have noticed in difference to the 522 is that it seems to be a bit sluggish while changing channels or generally with remote functions. Still, I'd take the 722 over the 522. I strongly considered the 612 but it was important for me to have a dual tuner.

So what are the differences between the 612 and the 722? Size difference in hard drives = ?, 612 has no PIP? Do both have internal OTA's? Can both take a EHD in the 2TB range? Does one run cooler? Lease price difference? Can you get a new 612 or are they all refurbs like the 722? Is the bigger hard drive and the PIP the only reason for the 722's existence? Why did they make the 722K? all

Agreed, I don't understand why they don't just use a 722(k) and force it into mono mode with software. They would have less production cost and could have focused more on getting the 722(k) software right in either configuration.

Last edited:
So what are the differences between the 612 and the 722? Size difference in hard drives = ?, 612 has no PIP? Do both have internal OTA's? Can both take a EHD in the 2TB range? Does one run cooler? Lease price difference? Can you get a new 612 or are they all refurbs like the 722? Is the bigger hard drive and the PIP the only reason for the 722's existence? Why did they make the 722K? all
Yes, 722 has a larger Hard Drive.
612 has no PIP option
722 & 612 have OTA connection built in (722k requires an MT2 OTA Module to be added)
Yes, both receiver support up to a 2TB Hard Drive
No noticeable difference in temperature
As a second receiver on an account: 612 would be $10.00 a month & 722 would be $17.00 a month.
New receivers are normally reserved for all new installs and replacement are normally refurbished.
The 722 receivers are HD Duo DVR's that run 2 TV's separately. 612 is a Solo HD DVR and can work 1 TV. The 722 has a better internal chip and can work with the sling adapter.
The 722k allows for OTA options that the 722 does not have and has a higher Processor Speed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)