722K and ling adapter on IE8

s10zr2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
Just installed a sling adapter on my 722K. It is ok, still has bugs i can see that need to be worked out. But my biggest complaint is on IE8 streaming in HD on my home network, it has terribly choppy video and sound. Do most of u using these stream on good only? I could understand this happening if I was outside my home network, as my upload sppeed is only 768kbps, but I thought while streaming on your network it does not go outside and back in. Am I wrong on this? Maybe it is an IE8 problem, any suggestions?

Well the biggest question would be how do you have your 722k & PC hooked into the home network? If either of them is using wireless that could be the culprit.

The Dish connectivity tool is nice. IE 8 sucks in lots of networks. When it came out was installing it in the network TV station and it didn't work worth a crap. Had to roll everyone back till they fixed a bunch of bugs in it. I only use it when I have to have Active X. Use Fire fox or Google Chrome.

And also it takes a fairly racy PC to keep up with the HD stream.
I'd say its better to ask the stats on the computer the user has, than assume its not quick. My computer is 3+ years old and it doesn't have a problem keeping up.

Also when streaming ... the stream speed should be shown.. my own anger over how they state on paper with the adapter as well as on their web site.. that the SD streaming is 600k or greater ... 150k for phone... and 3 meg or more recommended for HD ... regardless of good/better/best(HD) I've never seen the sling adapter take less than 4 megs for bandwidth, except when I was on one of the sirius channels.

Also would wonder if s10zr2 sees the browser attempting repeated outbound connections with the choppiness. I had something that seems similar, and noticed the browser constantly attempting an outbound connection (watch the status bar at the bottom of your IE window. If the status bar is not displayed on your IE .. its under the VIEW -> Toolbars option

I ran the dish connectivity test, thanks for that, and it said my pc met the minimum requirements. My pc is a p4 with 3gb of ram, which is not the minimum requirements for HD streaming. I guess I will have to look into a new pc down the road. I was hoping it was an IE8 issue, but it look as though my pc is not enough for it. Anyone out there with a p4 streaming it on chrome or firefox with no problem? Thanks for all the help. With it requiring all this bandwidth for HD streaming it seems as though the sling catcher will use alot of bandwidth on you network.

Well, it sounds like your PC should have what it takes to work in HD. When I first took delivery of my Sling Adapter, I discovered that our only computer that had the guts to do HD was my wife's newest laptop running W7. My older laptop running XP (particularly over wireless) and my most favored desktop (now about 5 years old) just could not keep up on the Best/HD setting. :(

One thing you could try is plug your PC into a wired connection as a test if not permanently. Another thing you could try is to bring up task manager and see if it's busy doing something else. Anything taking up significant resources might well steal from the Dish plug-in and make it stutter. Finally, I'm suspicious (but I don't know without checking) that the local LAN traffic from 722k to PC is going through your router rather than the dumb switch part. This might occur if for example your PC set up the stream using your router's outside IP address rather than it's true inside address. This is a loopback function of the router that may or may not work right and definitely will be slower than the wire speed packet forwarding of a switch.

And trying to do sling on the same wireless network .. if youre running a regular G network at 54Mbit its probably not fast enough.

That's the additional reason I broke my one wireless network into two. One wireless network for just PC's, the other for the "other stuff" like the 722k's. it cost me 80 bucks to get two new N based routers (300Mb rather than 54Mb) and connect from one side of the house to the other ... added a 25 dollar N based access point for my second 722k and I've not had any network congestion caused problems since.

You might need a new video card. P4 era cards aren't that great. My windows media center PC is a P4. I upgraded it to 3 GB RAM and Windows 7 x64 and it still sputtered when playing recorded content from the HD. I upgraded the video card and now it works great. You don't need ( or want ) much of a card for a PC like that. You have to be careful to stay within your power supply capabilities. I bought a Ge-Force card for $39 and it was just what it needed.

I am running all my network on wired 10/100/1000. I only have a D-link router and a 8 port switch. I did check my task manager when sling is running and it says iexplorer.exe is staying around 90 to 99. The video card lord_vader suggested might do the trick, but I think I might look into a new PC. It's been a long time comming. I keep running into another problem with the sling adapter. Seems as though I keep having to reset the dhcp on the 722K box every day for it to work. It is not loosing a connection, as before I reset it it has an IP and says connected, but until I do this it will not show up on sling. Maybe it has to do with the updates nightly. Anyone else have this problem. I am using a D-Link DIR-615 router. Thanks for all your help.

To be honest, I don't use the online very much. Mostly just to re-input the timers on a new unit. What I do know is that the NIC on the dish boxes seems a bit flakey. When I had them wired directly to my linksys 10/100/1000 switch, they would come and go quite a bit. I ended up putting a small 5 port 10/100 linksys in place and haven't noticed any issues since then. ( Granted I don't check that often, but when I do it works )

This is the one I bought.... Newegg.com - D-Link DES-1105 10/100Mbps Desktop Switch 5 x RJ45 2K MAC Address Table 64KB Buffer Memory

I like it because I think it has a sort of AV look to it. It was also really cheap when I bought it. :D

I don't know if it will solve your issue, but who can't use an extra 5 port hub/switch? lol :D

I think the Dish nic is a 10/100 and doesn't auto-neg very well.

I am running all my network on wired 10/100/1000. I only have a D-link router and a 8 port switch. I did check my task manager when sling is running and it says iexplorer.exe is staying around 90 to 99. The video card lord_vader suggested might do the trick, but I think I might look into a new PC. It's been a long time comming. I keep running into another problem with the sling adapter. Seems as though I keep having to reset the dhcp on the 722K box every day for it to work. It is not loosing a connection, as before I reset it it has an IP and says connected, but until I do this it will not show up on sling. Maybe it has to do with the updates nightly. Anyone else have this problem. I am using a D-Link DIR-615 router. Thanks for all your help.

I had a D-Link and it didn't work well w/ the 722k. Wound up going to a lynksys cable modem/router instead. I'm about to switch for the cable co and go to AT&T DSL setup and then will see. I have both a lynksys stand alone & the D-Link. Reason I'm going to DSL from cable is speed varies allot on cable and I will be saving $120 over the next year. Also the cable co sent me a letter about using too much in comparison to other users. To me that is none of their biz. I expect them to start charging by amt of use before long. Also they said I had some form violation that I had committed but I've never found out what it was. I'm not sure exactly what it was but did find that at the same time that they were telling me this I had a trojan(3 actually) showed up on my PC. I think that something that I dnld had it in it as a tracking program or the cable co had put it in to try and follow my on line habits. So to finish the story the AT&T guy will be here tomorrow to do the ph line drop.

I had a D-Link and it didn't work well w/ the 722k. Wound up going to a lynksys cable modem/router instead. I'm about to switch for the cable co and go to AT&T DSL setup and then will see. I have both a lynksys stand alone & the D-Link. Reason I'm going to DSL from cable is speed varies allot on cable and I will be saving $120 over the next year. Also the cable co sent me a letter about using too much in comparison to other users. To me that is none of their biz. I expect them to start charging by amt of use before long. Also they said I had some form violation that I had committed but I've never found out what it was. I'm not sure exactly what it was but did find that at the same time that they were telling me this I had a trojan(3 actually) showed up on my PC. I think that something that I dnld had it in it as a tracking program or the cable co had put it in to try and follow my on line habits. So to finish the story the AT&T guy will be here tomorrow to do the ph line drop.

I think you are right that the D-Link being a problem. I am going to try my regular Linksys router (befsr41) tonight and see if it works by itself. I have read also that by putting the Ip you assign to the dish box in DMZ that seems to help sometimes. The D-Link has qos enabled by default, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. The D-Link has more settings than the Linksys, and it could be I have somthing set wrong. I have been trying it today at work, still hooked up to my D-Link at home, and it is hit or miss. Sometimes it will connect and sometimes not. I didn't think you had to set anything on your router up for this to work. Oh and by the way thats bs about the cable company watching how much you use. You pay for it per month and its none of there business what you do with it. I would switch also.

Right now I have the dish box wired directly into the router, and I still have problems. What type of router are u using? I think it might be the D-Link one I am using that is giving me problems. I am going to try my old linksys router tonight.

Right now I have the dish box wired directly into the router, and I still have problems. What type of router are u using? I think it might be the D-Link one I am using that is giving me problems. I am going to try my old linksys router tonight.

Right now I have the WCG1000 cable modem/router hooked up. But it will go away when I switch to the DSL then I will put in my Linksys BEFSR41 cable DSL Router w/ 4 port switch. No wireless on it. If I want to do that will have to add it later.

Just a fyi... It may or may not be a d-link problem. I think it is more about whether or not your device supports gig or not (1000). NICs sometimes have issues negotiating the speed if they only go to 100 Mbps. A 10/100 card might just be too old / incompatible with a new switch.

Help. I plugged in my ling adapter and now everyone on tv looks like this (not that I'm complaining) :
laura_ling.jpg

S10ZR2, I see your issue already. I am going to post the "Requirements" here so you can see the issue with HD streaming. I know you are on the same network, but you are accessing an external website to see the feed that was "Slung" (is that right term?). For those of you with similar issues, see here if you can find the "wrench in the gear" so to speak (this information, though formatted differently, is available on the the DN website):

Requirements

• HD Content through DRA / DISHOnline.com
    • Network Bandwidth of 3 Mbps or better
    • PC
      • Intel 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo class processor or equivalent
      • 2 GB of RAM
      • Video acceleration support desirable on graphics card
      • Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7
      • Browser: Internet Explorer 7 or later, Firefox 3.5 or later
    • Mac
      • Intel 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo class processor or equivalent
      • 2 GB of RAM
      • Operating System: Max OS X 10.5.7 or later
      • Browser: Safari 4.0 or later, Firefox 3.5 or later
  • SD Content through DRA / DISHOnline.com
    • Network Bandwidth upload of 600 Kbps or better
    • PC
      • Intel Pentium 4 class processor or equivalent
      • Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7
      • Browser: Internet Explorer 7 or later, Firefox 3.5 or later
      • 256 MB RAM
    • Mac
      • Intel-based Mac
      • 2 GB of RAM
      • Operating System: Max OS X 10.5.7 or later
      • Browser: Safari 4.0 or later, Firefox 3.5 or later
  • SD Content through Mobile Device
    • DISH Remote Access mobile app installed on mobile device
    • Network Bandwidth upload of 150 Kbps or better
  • HD Content through Mobile Device
    • DISH Remote Access mobile app installed on mobile device
    • Network Bandwidth upload of 150 Kbps or better
If you are not sure of their broadband speed check out the dish.com/getconnected site to run the DISH Network Connectivity Test Tool, or you can contact your ISP provider.

--EDIT-- IMHO, USE Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test from a computer connected to your network the same way the receiver is to get the most detailed information. Once on that page, simply click "Begin Test". It will give you latency, download, and upload speeds that will help in troubleshooting or determining network capability.

Also, check for firewall issues if you have an issue connecting. Bridging the modem and router has also been known to help with connectivity issues. Also, remember that barely meeting the specs can still lead to intermittent issues, so be mindful of other things that may use the network at the same time.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)