722k EHD not responding...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

teh_duke

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Having issues over the last few days. My EHD on my 722k seems like it is dying. Everytime I try to access it through the "my media" link in the dve playback, the screen freezes until a reset is done. The drive Lois like it is being read like crazy during this time. It senses the drive when it connects and I tried to send a program to it, but it doesn't seem to have moved the program.

Question is, if it is bad, can I back up the drive to another using a computer and a cloning program or am I just fsck'd? (File system check 'd)

From My Media, when you select External USB Device (2) you are not able to see any of your recordings? If you plug the EHD into your computer, does the computer display a message indicating the EHD needs to be reformatted? If it doesn't, then your EHD is probably bad.

If it does, try plugging your EHD into a different USB port on your 722k receiver. Please let me know. Thanks.

Having issues over the last few days. My EHD on my 722k seems like it is dying. Everytime I try to access it through the "my media" link in the dve playback, the screen freezes until a reset is done. The drive Lois like it is being read like crazy during this time. It senses the drive when it connects and I tried to send a program to it, but it doesn't seem to have moved the program.

Question is, if it is bad, can I back up the drive to another using a computer and a cloning program or am I just fsck'd? (File system check 'd)

So after running through some checks, here is where I'm at. When connected to any port on the receiver, it has the same effect. When I remove the drive from the encloser and mount it in Linux, I see the drive and the contents, but it seems slow to respond. I have run some FS checks and they come back clean, but the SMART report is saying bad sectors. Is there any way to clone this drove to a new one to save the recordings on it?

I had a WD15EARS go bad and exhibit similar symptoms on both my 722 AND by 612. The Dish receiver partitioning made a small ext3 partition up front, followed by 3 approximately 500GB ext3 partitions. What happened was the 2nd of these 500GB partitions went bad and corrupted the file system. Since I had only the 1st filled with any programs, I didn't lose anything (besides the disk which was replaced under warranty). What I did was take a spare WD15EARS, let the receiver partition it the way it wants, and then copied the DishArc subdirectories from the bad WD15EARS to the good one.

I'm surprised that your FS checks on Linux came back clean. Mine sure didn't! SMART result was that there were too many bad sectors for recovery.

So after running through some checks, here is where I'm at. When connected to any port on the receiver, it has the same effect. When I remove the drive from the encloser and mount it in Linux, I see the drive and the contents, but it seems slow to respond. I have run some FS checks and they come back clean, but the SMART report is saying bad sectors. Is there any way to clone this drove to a new one to save the recordings on it?

Since you use Linux you could use dd in bash (e.g. dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb .) I'm sure the closer the new drive is in specifications to the old one, the better (i.e. model/size.)

It is possible that the drive is assigning new sectors to the bad ones, but there's only so much reserve space available, so it will inevitably fail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)