722k External HD Questions

dangerousdave

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
I want to move a lot of my recorded programs to an external drive after I call DISH and pay the fee. Can I use my existing WD Elements 1.5tb drive that I am using to back up my PC or should I buy another drive?

I need to move my programs quickly as I am almost out of space so if I need a new drive, what is recommended today? From reading here I guess I need:

• a 1 platter drive
  • an AC powered drive
  • 1tb or lower size drive or I am wasting my money
Thanks for any prompt responses as I need to place my order today.
Thanks, Dave

It doesn't need to be a single platter. It must be a single "spindle" (one drive mechanism).

It cannot be overstated that the drive cannot be shared with any computer or other third party device.

Costco is selling suitable 2TB drives for $89.99 this month and you may be able to find better deals elsewhere.

Well all depending how important your information is to you...you may not want a better deal...in fact you many not want the cheapest HDD you can find either. In the end...you get what you pay for.

You can use any drive that is a self-powered, single-hdd drive, with a USB 2.0 interface, up to 2TB. The receiver will reformat the drive. The drive will no longer be able to be used on the PC (well, there are ways, but I won't get into that) without again reformatting the drive on the PC.

If you happen to have any spare SATA drives, I use this Newegg.com - Rosewill RX35-AT-SU SLV Aluminum 3.5" Silver USB 2.0 External Enclosure for my spare SATA drives I have lying around otherwise collecting dust. Works perfectly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)