722K Freeze/Reboot Problem

bf3000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Bel Air, MD
My 722K recently started having some issues. The picture freezes, but the sound continues (sometimes) for a few seconds. Then everything freezes, and the remote won't do anything. After a few minutes, the receiver will reboot, but sometimes it will not finish the boot up process before it reboots again. I have unplugged every cable from the receiver, unplugged the receiver, and reconnected everything. Sometimes it will work for a few hours, sometimes for a few minutes. I suspect it is either an overheating issue or a hard drive issue. I have had the receiver for a long time (I actually got it the day after the 722k was officially released) and have never had a problem. Any suggestions?

No - it seems to occur at anytime. Last night, it happened while watching a recorded show. Today it happened (multiple times) while my kids were watching Nickelodeon in 'live' mode.

If you have an EHD I'd suggest putting all of your shows on it and getting DISH to replace your 722k.

That's what I've been trying to do - unfortunately, the receiver usually doesn't cooperate long enough to get much off. It looks like it is a hard drive problem. A few minutes ago, after multiple reboots, it gave me a Warning 981 and said that it was doing a boot recovery.....doesn't look good. Do you know how fast Dish usually ships replacements? A lot of season finales are coming up over the next few weeks, and my wife will not be pleased if she misses them.

Last edited:
That's what I've been trying to do - unfortunately, the receiver usually doesn't cooperate long enough to get much off. It looks like it is a hard drive problem. A few minutes ago, after multiple reboots, it gave me a Warning 981 and said that it was doing a boot recovery.....doesn't look good. Do you know how fast Dish usually ships replacements? A lot of season finales are coming up over the next few weeks, and my wife will not be pleased if she misses them.
Sounds like a hard drive issue, if you would like to PM me your account info I can take a look and see how soon we can get a replacement. Shipping one via UPS usually take 3-5 days. Please let me know if I can assist you in any way!

Normally, I hate "Me Too's", but this exact trouble sequence struck my 722k a little over two weeks ago. (My 722k had been flawless until this sequence began.)

As for DISH, they were quick to RMA the DVR and send me a replacement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)