722k is an awesome machine

Got the answer on storing timers in the ViP722 standard issue remotes: No.

I looked at the ViP722K remotes in the online manual (pg 13), and they are different remotes entirely. Not sure if those remotes would work with the non-K model. A bit late for me, anyway.

Backing up timers and channel settings via remote, another reason to love the 722k! With the dvr's having a USB port, I dont see what they cant make it easily transfer to thumbdrive, or your EHD.
Right. Or better still, just add a copy/save/restore function to Remote Access. Backing up your timers to a two-way remote is about the most lame-brained idea I have heard of in a long long time.

Yep! Just backed my new timer list up when I got home from work. Wouldn't want to have to go in and setup all those timers manually again!!

This is the worst pvr box I have ever used and I have used some bad ones like the moxi. This box will not let me watch something live while something is being recorded. I have never ever had a box that didn't allow this. If I am recording ONE program, one F*$&ing program and want to watch something like the news (live), tuning that channel gets a screen that tells me that doing so will stop the recording. My wife is pissed that we are in a two year commitment with a box this crappy. How was I to know? This is the first box I have ever seen that doesn't allow this. ANd no, I don't want to go into the bedroom to watch my ancient 25' set with a vhf feed every time I want to watch something that is not being recorded.

1 thread already

This is the worst pvr box I have ever used and I have used some bad ones like the moxi. This box will not let me watch something live while something is being recorded. I have never ever had a box that didn't allow this. If I am recording ONE program, one F*$&ing program and want to watch something like the news (live), tuning that channel gets a screen that tells me that doing so will stop the recording. My wife is pissed that we are in a two year commitment with a box this crappy. How was I to know? This is the first box I have ever seen that doesn't allow this. ANd no, I don't want to go into the bedroom to watch my ancient 25' set with a vhf feed every time I want to watch something that is not being recorded.

Why are you posting the same problem in 2 different threads? Answer the questions we've asked in the other thread and we may be able to fix what your problem is. You've only had it a couple of days and sounds like your learn curve may still be the problems you are having.

Clearly you're doing something wrong. Spend a few minutes with the manual, or call Dish tech support.

I bit the bullet and dished it up.
Called three times and got the offshore CSR's that didn't know anything. So I figured I'd try the online chat route. This is what transpired:

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...
Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer, I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided
V.: Your patience is greatly appreciated.
Me: Thanks
V.: I'd be happy to assist you with that.
V.: What type of receiver are you interested in? A standard receiver or a High Definition one?
Me: Well I have a 622 now, I'm interested in the 722K with the OTA module. I saw online dish n it up for 75 dollars shipped.
Currently experiencing network delays, one moment please....
V.: Let me check this for you.
Network connection re-established.
V.: Your patience is greatly appreciated.
V.: I have checked the information for you.
Me: Thanks
V.: The charge to add VIP 722 receiver is $125.
V.: Only the requirement you have to sign up for 24 month commitment and a valid credit card.
V.: If the commitment is not fulfilled, you will be subjected to a $360 cancellation fee or a prorated charge of $15.00 a month for the remaining months of the agreement.
Me: That's not what it shows online for a shipped 722.
Me: I also need the OTA module, is that included?
V.: I am sorry, no.
V.: The charge $125.00 is only for the receiver.
Me: You're not a lot of help at this point, how much is the OTA module then?
V.: Let me check this for you.
Me: Are you telling me that the website is wrong and that I have to pay 125.00 instead of 75.00?
(V.: Please give me a moment.
Me: Is there someone else I can chat with?
Me: I would think the price should be the same as on the website.
Me: The reason I need the OTA is because Dish doesn't carry my local channels in HD
Me: I don't need installation, I can hookup the receiver myself.
(V.: Your patience is greatly appreciated.
V.: For better I am transferring the chat to loyalty team.
Me: Thanks!
(V.: Please be online while I get connected to loyalty department.
Me: You understand I want to replace the 622 right?
Me: I'm not going anywhere
V. has left the session.
Please wait while we find an agent from the (20) Loyalty-HiL HDesk department to assist you.
You have been connected to K.
Me: Hi K!
K: Hi,.
K: How are you tonight?
Me: So far so good.
K: Glad to hear it. It looks like you had some questions about the 722 and the OTA module, correct?
Me: Yep!
K: I can answer those for you.
ME: Can you read the rest of the chat or do I need to start over?
K: No, that's okay. I'll look it over.
(18) Greg K: I could actually get you an OTA Module at no cost.
Me: Thanks.
K: And the 722... I could do that at no cost for you as well.
Me: Great. What do we need to do now?
K: I'll get the OTA set up first, and then I'll go over what's required with the upgrade.
Me: OK.
(K: Thanks,.
Me: No prob.
K: With any upgrade we do ask for 2 things: a 24 month commitment, and since it's a leased receiver, we do ask to verify a credit card.
(K: However, since these chats are accessible, I can't ask you to put that info in.
Me: OK
K: I would need you to call my department directly at 1-888-XXX-XXXX, but for the inconvenience, I'm also going to give you $15 off a month for the next 12 months.
Me: Sounds great.
Me: Will they have this info or will I have to go through it again?
K: They will know what to set you up with.
K: Just make sure you mention my operator ID, which is XXX.
Me: Sounds good.
K: And I will take care of the $15 off for you.
Me: Great, I really appreciate your help.
K: We appreciate your business. Have a great night,.
Me: Thanks, you too.
K: Thank you.
Thank you for visiting Dish Network. You may now close this window.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

I'm a happy camper now!!

Thanks for the responses. I've got the latest 6.55 firmware. I've already replaced the OTA module once but it definitely didn't make a difference.

The sense that I get is that the 722K is slightly underpowered in terms of processing horsepower and when pushed very hard, it coughs a bit.

My signal levels are all quite good. OTA levels are 80-100 (although it still occasionally complains), and sat levels are all AOK according to tech support.

I wonder if I should ask for a replacement 722K, although I hate to lose all my timers.

I have to add that I have not experienced any "unde power" (CPU) problems with the 722K: I had an HD internet download, 4 recordings (2 OTA, of course), transfer to external HDD and playback of DVR recording, and NO hiccups or under power problems. I think the transfer may have paused a few seconds here and there, according to my light meter on the external HDD, but that was inconsequential to my viewing experience, and yes, the transfer was fine.

Sounds like you are in dual mode, which means that each TV (1 and 2) only have one tuner for each TV. In dual mode, you can watch one channel while recording another in the same room. However, it sounds like what you really needed was one dual tuner for one TV in Single mode at all times, and a separate box in the bedroom with its own tuners. Dish never seems to tell the customer about this compromise if they get a system that needs to be in Dual mode most of the time.

Sounds like you are in dual mode, which means that each TV (1 and 2) only have one tuner for each TV. In dual mode, you can watch one channel while recording another. However, it sounds like what you really needed was on dual tuner for one TV in Single mode at all times, and a separate box in the bedroom with its own tuners.

There's also a setting if you're in dual mode to record with tuner #2 whenever possible. I forget the name of it. That will leave tuner 1 free in your main room at all times.

But agreed, setting the mode to single mode is the way to go. 4 recordings at once can't be beat.

Not quite

There's also a setting if you're in dual mode to record with tuner #2 whenever possible. I forget the name of it. That will leave tuner 1 free in your main room at all times.

But agreed, setting the mode to single mode is the way to go. 4 recordings at once can't be beat.

Tuner 1 will only be free when there are not 2 events being recorded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)