722k lost signal

TheFid2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Bowling Green, Ohio
I've had no signal for about 5 hours

this Tech support person I'm on the phone with is a joke.

I've been "Aquiring Signal" for the whole time. It gets to 5 of 5 and resets back to 0 of 5.

The support person had me do some tests on the receiver and kept saying it sounded like a bad or loose switch. The soonest a tech can come is Thursday :(

I'm fairly technically competent, although new to satellites. I feel like I could try to fix it as long as someone walked me through it.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Some of the tests:

"Point Dish" says Locked - EchoStar West 119, Signal Strength ~27, give or take

When I go to "Check Switch" and run a test, it tells me the following: "The check switch test has found you have fewer satellites than previously detected..."

Under "System Info" in box "g" where it lists the Satellites and Signals, 119 and 129 both have big red boxes with Xs in them, 110 has a green box. Status says "Error!"

2 things

Some of the tests:

"Point Dish" says Locked - EchoStar West 119, Signal Strength ~27, give or take

When I go to "Check Switch" and run a test, it tells me the following: "The check switch test has found you have fewer satellites than previously detected..."

Under "System Info" in box "g" where it lists the Satellites and Signals, 119 and 129 both have big red boxes with Xs in them, 110 has a green box. Status says "Error!"

Bad switch or bad lnb's. What type of dish do you have? Do you have a DPP44 switch in the line? If so is power supply hooked up to drive it.

I don't know much of anything about my set-up since someone else installed it. How can I check for those?

I do know I have a Dish 500. It's on a pole outside and runs into the house which was already wired for cable. It runs from the wall inside to the receiver with a couple of splitters just before it reaches the box.

Oh, and some of the channels work, apparently. So far my local PBS is fine. Haven't found any more that work, but will keep looking.

EDIT: USA works too
EDIT 2: And SyFy. Ok, so I get some channels, but most of them result in "acquiring signal"

Oh, and some of the channels work, apparently. So far my local PBS is fine. Haven't found any more that work, but will keep looking.

EDIT: USA works too
EDIT 2: And SyFy. Ok, so I get some channels, but most of them result in "acquiring signal"
Were the splitters there before the dish was installed?

its out of alignment.simple as that.
if the dish is close to your tv and easy to access, put it on the signal screen, find a signal on any transponder, and turn the volume up very loud. go to the dish if possible, and very gently pull it left, and then right, then up and down. if the sound increases in pitch you are moving it the right way. id put my money on the dish needing to go slightly west, 1/4 to 1/2 an inch. loosen the bolts and adjust it. dont move it too far! or call dish and have them do it.

That was it!

Must have been the guy the landlords sent to mow the lawn today bumping the dish or something. I actually moved it slightly east and it worked perfectly. Signal went from ~30 to ~70

Guy's coming out Thursday to make sure it's permanently fixed, but this was a great temp fix.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! :)

I didn't even loosen the bolts. I physically pulled the dish (by the base so as not to break something) towards the East and got a signal strength of ~80 that would go back down whenever I let go. After doing this a few times, I got it to stay at between 60-70 by itself

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)