722k optical out problem

my2k2zx2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 23, 2007
Trying to figure out a slight problem we are having with the optical out on my 722k that was installed on Sat.

Using our surround sound (Durabrand, I know, want to upgrade) it works fine until we pause fast forward or rewind anything. Sound will go out for about 10 seconds. I have tried 2 different cables and the surround works fine with my Xbox 360 and PS3. Only get this problem using the surround, dont get this issue using the tv speakers.

Is there a fix to this other than buying a new surround setup?

(setup was working fine with our old 501 receiver, wondering if we got a faulty 722k.)

I'm unfamiliar with the 722k but I'm wondering how you have the audio setup on the 722k. Had similar issues with the 722 with the sound dropping out and it had to do with Linear PCM vs. RF Mode.

I'm unfamiliar with the 722k but I'm wondering how you have the audio setup on the 722k. Had similar issues with the 722 with the sound dropping out and it had to do with Linear PCM vs. RF Mode.

Thanks!! Put it on PCM only and it seems to be working properly. Went back and put it on the other 2 settings and the audio dropout came back.

So thats a Dish problem and not the surround receiver?

Not necessarily. Linear PCM in a nutshell means the 722k is decoding the audio before sending it to the receiver and RF Mode means it is sent in "Raw Form" to the receiver. Your receiver may not be able to handle some of the raw data.

Not necessarily. Linear PCM in a nutshell means the 722k is decoding the audio before sending it to the receiver and RF Mode means it is sent in "Raw Form" to the receiver. Your receiver may not be able to handle some of the raw data.

We have it set to RF mode and its working fine. Just get dropouts when its in either Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital/PCM mode. Using PCM only + RF= no dropouts.

Trying to figure out a slight problem we are having with the optical out on my 722k that was installed on Sat.

Using our surround sound (Durabrand, I know, want to upgrade) it works fine until we pause fast forward or rewind anything. Sound will go out for about 10 seconds. I have tried 2 different cables and the surround works fine with my Xbox 360 and PS3. Only get this problem using the surround, dont get this issue using the tv speakers.

Is there a fix to this other than buying a new surround setup?

(setup was working fine with our old 501 receiver, wondering if we got a faulty 722k.)

You should make Dish give you an RA before you buy a new surround sound system... If it works fine with the xbox, etc., it very well could be a faulty receiver. Dish will give you a free RA (you might need to get DHPP). They'll UPS a new one to your doorstep.

I don't know why but for my setup to work, I have to set my 722 to Linear PCM and my PS3 to RF Mode. Both run into the same Pioneer receiver, but if the 722 is in RF Mode, everything is decodes as Pro Logic II and vice versa with the PS3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)