722k program guide limited to 48hrs

dbclite

Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
PA
Hi, I have had dish network for 6+ years and have looked at this forum many many times and always found help. I couldnt find help, so I joined. I have been fighting with the program guide on my 722k for a few weeks now. Every thing works great, except the program guide is limited to 2 days. It seems to update everynight like it should, but dosent get the 7-9 days it should. I can force it to download current guide, but even then I only get 48hrs. I have talked to several dish technical people to no avail. they have had me try the following (most of which I did before talking to them):
1. selected ok to the msg box which says its out of date
2. check all the info in system info screen
3. power cycle
4. power cycle with 5 min down time
5. check switch

Is there anything else I can try? One of the dish people wanted to send a tech to my house, which costs $95 even though it is their box. The other suggested a replacement rcvr, which I am willing to try once I get an ehd setup.

Is the internal disk still working? I have a 612 which ~once/mo decides not to spin up it's disk and then (of course) I have only the shorter guide and no DVR functionality.

Yes the internal disk is working just fine, i am able to record/watch shows like normal. If I force it to get program guide update it will get 48 hours worth from the current time, so I know its downloading the guide, just not all of it.

what dish set-up do you have? is it receiving all the sats?
the 9 day guide info is only on 119 on western arc, not sure what sat has the 9 day guide on eastern arc.

119 110 and 129 if I remember correctly

I'm seeing the same thing with my 322, and one of the dish guys said that it was normal for a non-dvr model to only get 48 hrs. I rarely ever watch those tvs so I cannot say if its new or has always been.

One would hope they would know which satellites the 9 day program guide is on, and would have checked that when they checked my system info.

Actually the 48 hour guide is at 119. The 9 day guide is at 110 for Dish 500 set-ups. It is correct that all NON-DVR boxes receive only the 48 hour guide, and only the DVR's receive the 9 day guide. If you have another Dish DVR, check to see if it has the 9 guide or the same problem.

You could join the Dish Home Protection Plan (DHPP) for $5 per month. Tech home visits are only either $15 or $25, I forget which. Also, the entire system is 100% warrantied. If any part needs to be replaced, it is so at NO COST to you and NO ADDITIONAL LABOR fees beyond the home visit fee. Also, any equipment that you would need to exchange is sent to you FREE of any postage. If you RAM a box without DHPP, it will cost your the standard shipping charge, which is $14.95. With DHPP there are never any shipping charges no matter how often you are approved for RMA.

Well, presuming you can see 110 and the appropriate transponder, it could be a corrupt table inside the box, in which case an RMA would fix that, meaning you would have to exchange the box.

Try being certain that all your boxes are getting GREEN and "All Transponders" or "Odd and Even" in the System Info and the Check Switch matrix for the 110 satellite. If Dish Technical Support can't make it work over the phone, then you may have to RMA it.

Last edited:
I will be heading to target after work, they have a 1tb western digital external drive for 69.99 So lets do a little math:

74.19 rcvr after tax
40.00 ehd fee from dish
14.95 shipping of new box
--------
129.14 to exchange a box that I don't own (that may or maynot fix the issue)

Yes, they told me about the protection plan, but I cannot bring myself to pay for insurance on something that isn't mine. At least I will have the external hard drive for storage. I will probably argue (and lose) the shipping of the new box, since this isn't my fault.

Hey, even if you "buy" the car, the bank owns it (as they do your house, therefore, have the more expensive insurance requirements to meet the demands of the lender, not coverage based on your good judgement and reasonable risk), if you aren't a millionaire and can't pay cash for your new car. Yet, we a required to buy insurance for something we don't own. After all, the requirement is to protect the bank, not the registered "owner" of the car, so ethically, the bank should pay for the insurance. Just buy the car and house in-full and in cash and save a bundle on insurance premiums. Or isn't the how the world works?

If we are given a car or house for free, but we still don't OWN it, but we are allowed to live in it or drive it all we want, we would view the cost of our "extended warranties" for each to be a reasonable exchange for the FREEBIE. If we buy electronic items in full retail, we get the standard warranty, 1 year with Dish, and yet we don't balk at the idea of the brand offering an extended warranty beyond the 1st year either as a big lump sum or nominal monthly payments, $6 for Dish Home Protection Plan.

Or do we view our programming bill to also include any costs for an extended warranty? Please, I want to hear from the people on this board who own a business to tell us if they do or would charge separately for extended warranty work and parts or if they pay for it out of whatever profits they make? Well that's how all insurance works: the insurance company always comes out ahead of policy holders' lifetime of premiums vs. the claims. If the insurance plans didn't do this, then it just wouldn't be insurance, as it works in the real world.

I understand the OP's view about the DHPP, and I agree. However, as an extended warranty (all dish boxes, if you purchase them at retail, still come with a 1 year warranty because you have laid out the big bucks to purchase it as opposed to getting it either at a significant discount or FREE of any charge for the box, in which case one really can't complain about nominal fees after you've gotten a freebie) that is the way far too many companies do business, and if we don't like it, we should not give them our business unless we are prepared to accept the costs that come without it with out being whiny about it (not that the OP has whined).

In fact, it may be less expensive in the long run NOT to have DHPP, as is the case for just about ALL extended warranties and insurance plans, but we should be prepared to pay the $95 home tech visit or the multiple $14.99 shipping charges when you may have to RMA a box twice in a month because the HDD was damaged in transit, and pay for the LNBF's and mult-switches that may have to be replaced. However most people aren't, and that is the advantage to any extended warranty: piece of mind and NOT having to pony up hundreds of dollars at the last minute. Otherwise, we take your chances.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I argued and lost the with the fee waiving for the ehd, but the ehd is working. I then chatted with dish about getting the rcvr replaced. I argued with them about the cost of shipping and of course I lost. I did think it was ironic they brought up it is like leasing a car. To which I responded, " I would never lease a car, but if I did I know warranty work does not cost me a thing". Anyhow I lost that arguement and ended up paying for shipping.

I got my replacement vip722 yesterday, I spent a hour or so getting it setup, I had to call dish to get the new rcvr activated, and..................I get the same &^%* issue. My program guide still only goes out 48 hours.

I was so upset that I knew better than to chat with dish as my language would have gotten my account flagged or deactivated. I know they are going to want to send a tech out, but my question is what good is a tech going to do me?

48 hour program guide

I am now receiving 61.5 and 118, had to move from 119 when Echostar 14 took over, and my program guide went from 7 days to 24 hrs. Is this being caused by the satellite I have a VIP 722 DVR/

So my saga is finally over.

I chatted with dish last night and managed to reduce my bill by enough to add the stupid service plan. I refused to pay more. I then chatted with tech support and got them to remove the $15 shipping fee on my returned rcvr because there was never a reason to replace it. Then scheduled a tech to come to my house today.

I explained everything to him and almost immediately he said he thought it was my lnb. He did a check switch and noticed (on the second screen) that ALL of the even transponders were 0. He replaced the lnb rebooted the rcvr and all is well :)

Yep. When all the evens or all the odds are bad, it's almost certainly the LNB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts