722k receiver lockup freezing and rebooting

ismgr

Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
central texas
i'm a new customer (since sept 24) with a new 722k receiver and an external Western Digital 2tb hard drive & sling adapter. for the most part, everything is working great.

but, about once a week (random days or times as far as I can tell), the receiver appears to lockup - picture freezes, and then audio stops. no buttons on remote or the receiver function at this point. and about 1 minute later, the receiver will reboot itself - and then all is well again.

this has happened with watching live, prerecorded from internal drive, or prerecorded from external drive.

i don't believe the receiver is getting too hot - it is not inside a cabinet, does not feel hot on the exterior of receiver, and the status screens don't show any issues, warnings, errors.

I believe the software is L688 (last I checked).

should I be concerned ? is this an indication of a bad receiver ?

I'd still check the Hard Drive counters and report back the temperature numbers. Menu-6-3, Counters, scroll about 10 pages down. Any high temp of 140 or higher or an average over 120 is asking for trouble. The 722 and 722k are notorious for running hot.

well maybe I was wrong about the receiver getting hot. I took pictures of the diag screens showing the drive info. dish_IMAG0414.jpgdish_IMAG0415.jpg

dare2be, you say an average of 120+ is bad, what is this receiver's specs on 'normal' operating temperature range ?

and of course I would ask Dish as to why they would design the receiver in such a way to invite these high temperatures inside. I think they need some (more) fans (silent / low noise). I've put some cheap, computers in environments much harsher than my living room, and they survive without so much as a hiccup.

oh well - would you suggest I put an external fan next to one of the vents ?

My high was 138 and avg 123 when I started experiencing spontaneous reboots. I plugged in an external USB Thermaltake II fan from Amazon and had it draw air out the back left corner of my 722, and I went down to 131 high, 118 avg and have been rock solid ever since. Others have reported even better numbers with this solution here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...temperature-thread-yours-101.html#post2657437

Last edited:
My high was 138 and avg 123 when I started experiencing spontaneous reboots. I plugged in an external USB Thermaltake II fan from Amazon and had it draw air out the back left corner of my 722, and I went down to 131 high, 118 avg and have been rock solid ever since. Others have reported even better numbers with this solution here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...temperature-thread-yours-101.html#post2657437

I recently got the system linked above by dare2be. My avg had gone up to 120 and my low had gone up to 118 (I think). With that system at less than a week, my avg is 114 and my low is 91 (my high is still sitting at 140). I HAVE had one spontaneuos reboot since then at 3:19am when recording something off al Palladia. My download time is 3 am so maybe that had something to do with it. I hope to see no more reboots.

Hi, I have a similar problem.

I had a 722K installed last September 9.

Starting last week, every time I added a Dish Pass timer or even just a one-time timer, it froze and it would reboot. So I finally gave up cleared the NVRAM and reformatted the hard drive, using the directions in Post #9 here.

Everything was fine until today, when it started to freeze and reboot when I added Dish timers and even did it once while I was skipping a program in the schedule.

So do you guys think this is also an overheating problem? I have a temp of 140 high, 107 low, 123 average.

Or should I contract dish network and have them give me another 722K?

138-140 high and 123 avg is when I started having problems, and mine was when I would go to skip timers in succession. So yeah, I'd get those numbers down just to rule out temperature issues. Even if it isn't being caused by temp problems, you can still use the fan on your replacement unit as a preventative measure.

138-140 high and 123 avg is when I started having problems, and mine was when I would go to skip timers in succession. So yeah, I'd get those numbers down just to rule out temperature issues. Even if it isn't being caused by temp problems, you can still use the fan on your replacement unit as a preventative measure.

Is it okay if I use a big regular fan till I can get one of those mini ones you guys are talking about in the other thread?

If you can set it up somehow to draw air out the left side, or blow in the smaller vent on the right side, it might be worth a shot.

My 722K Started Locking Up, Freezing & Rebooting last weekend getting worse rapidly to where it would freeze during Reboot & Finally would not boot up at all (only a single Green LED Lit up) = Unit essentially died... I received the New / Refurbished 722K & activated it then Transferred the Internal Hard Drive along with Fan & attached Frame from the Dead Unit to the new unit, Booted right up & was able to transfer the recorded material to my External Hard Drive & also was able to Extract & Save the Timers / Recording Schedules using the System Wizard Function on the Remote... Then Swapped the Hard Drives back to their Home 722K Receivers... All is Good...
IE: The Internal Hard Drive was not what Failed in the Original 722K that had been Freezing & Eventually Died, I Ran the New Receiver with the Old Hard Drive for about a Day & a Half with no issues...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)