722k record dvr to TV2?

Zorlac

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
Iowa
We got 1 722k for our HDTV downstairs, set to single mode.

Im confused about DVR recording on TV1/TV2. I want to record shows only on TV2, so I can continue to watch channels on TV1 uninterrupted. However whenever I create a timer it defaults to TV1. It only uses TV2 when it records 2 shows at the same time.

Is there some option of telling my timers to use TV2 only. Like I said I know it'll use both tuners to record shows that are on at the same time. Because since the DVR defaults to TV1 if Im watching a show and the DVR is about to record another show it'll automatically switch channels which I dont want.

I cant find any setting on the DVR screen to change a timer from TV1 to TV2. Is this possible?

If the receiver is in single mode, it shouldn't matter which TV it records to because you can simply change the channel, and the receiver will switch to the other tuner so long as the other tuner is not in use.

Put the receiver in dual mode, press menu-8-5, change the record preference to TV2, and make sure it's enabled. This will change it so any timers on the receiver automatically record to TV2, unless it's already in use

If the receiver is in single mode, it shouldn't matter which TV it records to because you can simply change the channel, and the receiver will switch to the other tuner so long as the other tuner is not in use.

It doesnt for us. As a test I set the DVR to record a show on a different channel than I was watching. When it came to record it automatically switches to that channel thats being recorded. When I tried to change the channel it warned me that it would stop the recording?

Even so being able to silently record a show while watching a different show at the same time uninterrupted (no prompts) is what we'd like. We have set to single mode because I was told thats what I need to do if I wanna use a DVD Recorder which we do. Thats using the TV1 RCA outputs from the 722k to the DVD recorder.

What lights are on the front of the receiver? Are you recording 2 things at the same time when this is happening? Check the daily schedule (DVR 3x) and make sure there aren't multiple things recording at that time.

Also check the record plus preference if you haven't

Agree with what Matt didn't say. ;) It sure sounds like your receiver is in dual mode.

I agree. I had to explain that to my dad the other day when he called me. He couldnt flip between the two items he was recording. Because it was in dual mode
Switched to single mode and now he's happy :)

The 722k is set to Single mode. Always has been since I got it last friday. Record Plus is set to TV2. I opened the guide, selected a few programs to record and they list TV2 which is good. However as a test I created a timer for a show at 8pm. Then I went back, and created a timer for the show before that one at 7pm, same channel and it listed that one as TV1. But I also tried the same for another channel just now, i.e. record 2 half hour shows on the same channel, and both timers are listed as TV2. Dont know why the first time I did that, 2 shows on the same channel, 1 after another created timers for both TV1/TV2. Second time I try it, both created timers for TV2 only. Hmm.

So I dont know what was up. I setup a timer for a show earlier today at 1pm, but another family member was watching something else. The timer countdown appeared, and they canceled the recording as they were watching their own show. I guess for some reason that timer was for TV1. Thats why I posted as I dont want other ppl having their shows interrupted while recording one of mine. Obviously if you have 2 things being recorded at the same time you can only watch what channels they are set for. Still even if a timer is set for TV1 and just TV1, shouldnt you be able to watch another channel as TV2 without any prompts?

The 722k is set to Single mode. Always has been since I got it last friday. Record Plus is set to TV2. I opened the guide, selected a few programs to record and they list TV2 which is good. However as a test I created a timer for a show at 8pm. Then I went back, and created a timer for the show before that one at 7pm, same channel and it listed that one as TV1. But I also tried the same for another channel just now, i.e. record 2 half hour shows on the same channel, and both timers are listed as TV2. Dont know why the first time I did that, 2 shows on the same channel, 1 after another created timers for both TV1/TV2. Second time I try it, both created timers for TV2 only. Hmm.

So I dont know what was up. I setup a timer for a show earlier today at 1pm, but another family member was watching something else. The timer countdown appeared, and they canceled the recording as they were watching their own show. I guess for some reason that timer was for TV1. Thats why I posted as I dont want other ppl having their shows interrupted while recording one of mine. Obviously if you have 2 things being recorded at the same time you can only watch what channels they are set for. Still even if a timer is set for TV1 and just TV1, shouldnt you be able to watch another channel as TV2 without any prompts?

YOU are not in single mode. If you were, there would be NO Record Plus option.

On my 722 there are 2 lights below the word Mode. One has a single box under it, the 2nd has 2 that are offset. The 1st indicates single mode, the later dual. What lights are lite on yours?

I always run in dual mode. I also have my dvd recorder hooked up to the RCA outs of TV1 for audio and s-video for video.. All this means is that if you want to record to the dvd recorder, you have to use TV1 output. You can still record to TV tuner 2 at the same time.

The only time I ever run it in single mode is if I want to see my ota's on the TV2 output., but since I have a 211 hooked up to a tv next to my computer, most frequenly watch alternative tv, I almost never do it.

Last edited:
On my 722 there are 2 lights below the word Mode. One has a single box under it, the 2nd has 2 that are offset. The 1st indicates single mode, the later dual. What lights are lite on yours?

Yes I know. And the SINGLE box light is on. I pressed the Mode button on the front to put it in single mode, and the Record Plus window says Single mode.

Try putting it in dual mode for awhile. And set record plus to tV2. I think that should solve all your problems. the only advantage I know of using single mode is that you can watch ota locals on the TV2 output. Others may thinkotherwise. But in the many years I have had a 722, it's always been in dual mode.

Ok will do. It seems to be working the way I want.

I noticed some timers would be listed as TV1 while following another episode. I.e. I saw a South Park episode that was listed at 11pm, but actually started at 11:05pm, and that it created a timer for the 11:30 listing for TV1 instead of TV2. Is this normal?

I am a little confused about this as well..

My 722k is hooked up to 2 tv's, since it serves 2 rooms; our family room, the main tv, and the kitchen, where we watch occasionally.
I also have a sling adapter hooked up to it, and google tv as well.

I want it to always record on tv2, and, that is how I believe I have it set,its The record plus setting shows that as well, and obviously, it is in dual mode.

However, when I check my scheduled recordings, it looks as if some of the programs will be recording on TV1; am I just not looking at something properly, or, do I have things set up properly to always record on TV2, if its available?

thanks!

Press the DVR button 3 times. That will bring up a list of everything scheduled to record. See if there are any overlaps. If there are 2 programs scheduled to record back to back and you are using the defaults of early 1 min and late 3, that maybe the reason. Sports also default to 60 min late

Normally, I'm a "single mode" guy, but have a guest in the house so put the 622 in Dual Mode to serve the guest room.

I rather Tuners were not assigned to TV1 or TV2 at all. Why not have a 3rd "Record Plus" setting that gives either TV a tuner if one is available (including OTA) ?

In my dream world, with a 612, 622, & 722 all connected to my home internet, why should anyone ever "want" for a tuner. Crap, I have 6 Sat + 3 OTA tuners. Sharing them would be a beautiful thing. Yes, I realize the whole house solution is coming, but it should be possible to do this now with the hardware already sitting in the house. Same with sharing PVR recordings (which Direct already does).

Edit:
Here's another annoyance. So, I never watch Live TV (but my guest on TV2 does). I've switched to Dual mode with "Record Plus" preference to TV1. But, all the existing Timers still want TV2. Only way to fix it is to delete and recreate the timers. There really should be an easier way (like don't preassign Tuners -> like single mode, let dual mode pick on the fly).

Last edited:
They should bring back the TV1 or TV2 record option when you set a show to record. It was a lot easier back then.

Setting Record Plus does modify existing timers

Ok, that's better.....

After the box sat for awhile the timers I created while in Single Mode (to TV2), did switch to TV1 after switching to "Dual Mode" and setting the Record Plus to TV1.

I still think this mothod adds unnecessary confustion. Timers do not need to be assigned to Tuners (or TVs) in Dual Mode. If there's two timers grab the two tuners.

If either TV asks for a Tuner, provide it (including OTA). If no tuner is available, say so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)