722k Remote won't back up

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
Dish is sending me a replacement 722k because they think it will solve an issue I'm having. It won't, but I'm stuck with replacing anyway. If there is a way to not swap, please feel free to let me know.

I had been bragging about the remote backup that is part and parcel of the 722k, but I have been trying for the last 2 days to get it to backup to the remote so I can just restore all my timers to the new one, but it won't.

Most times it shows about 1/3 complete and then gives the error with don't move, be within 10' and so forth. No matter where I try it from, it just won't get it finished.

Any suggestions?

....Any suggestions?
I have had success in backing up by not walking in the same room so as to reduce vibrations. I have also muted the sound to avoid any vibrations from the sound.

That said, I've never tried to restore those timers and i've heard rumors from Dish that no one has successfully restored the timers to a replacement box.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried it with both remotes with sound off with the same results.

I'm very irritated as you might guess. I've got 81 timers set and really wasn't looking forward to manually plugging them all in again. But if they won't restore, I guess it really doesn't matter if they will backup or not, huh? :(

How close are you? IOC found that it works best sitting on the floor about 2 feet away.

I've tried it from 10' to 1' and the results are always the same. The frustrating part is that when I got the 722k I tested it and all was good. But that was a few updates ago... :(

Just keep trying.

If it doesn't work, get out your digital camera and take photos of the TV screen and create a list of your timers. Obviously not a desireable method, but it will get you back up and running.

I just got a new 722k to replace my 922 last week and I tried to back up both of my remote controls for timers. My main IR remote did it just fine, but my uhf remote kept failing to backup no matter what I did.

I just got a new 722k to replace my 922 last week and I tried to back up both of my remote controls for timers. My main IR remote did it just fine, but my uhf remote kept failing to backup no matter what I did.

I tried both of mine and neither would complete. I've got all my (81) timers written down and all my HD backed up to the EHD, so I'm good to go. Of course, I can't plug in timers for shows not currently showing, which is going to irritate me a bit... :(

I tried both of mine and neither would complete. I've got all my (81) timers written down and all my HD backed up to the EHD, so I'm good to go. Of course, I can't plug in timers for shows not currently showing, which is going to irritate me a bit... :(
As I earlier suggested, use your video camera to photograph the screen shots of your timer list... makes it easier to restore timers.

For shows currently not showing, create a Season Pass and when the show does return replace the season pass with a "normal" timer.

You can create a DISH pass that allows you to set it either to a certain channel, or leave it to go to any channel on the receiver. I use these passes for any show I want to make sure that I want to record, but it isn't showing yet.

I think a lot of us think that the two passes are interchangeable.;)

Actually, I don't even know first hand what a "Season Pass" is? I believe I have read that it is a DirecTV setup, but I have absolutely no experience with DirecTV. ;)

You know the most irritating part of this is that the 722k that is coming as replacement for the one I have isn't going to fix the 'issue' I'm having! I'm missing Starz Cinema from the HD Platinum and after the chat and a couple of hits, it is still missing. I have no idea what Dish is thinking by sending a new unit.

Actually, I don't even know first hand what a "Season Pass" is? I believe I have read that it is a DirecTV setup, but I have absolutely no experience with DirecTV. ;)

Season passes are more associated with Tivo ,but many people that come from Tivo, confuse the dish pass for a season pass like Tivo has.

You know the most irritating part of this is that the 722k that is coming as replacement for the one I have isn't going to fix the 'issue' I'm having! I'm missing Starz Cinema from the HD Platinum and after the chat and a couple of hits, it is still missing. I have no idea what Dish is thinking by sending a new unit.

Did you look under your locks menu and see if the channel has been locked out? If it is that is why you aren't seeing it in your guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)