722k stops playback when new recording starts

steve48

Original poster
Aug 5, 2010
California
If a new recordings starts while I'm playing back a previously recorded show, it swtiches to live tv. Is there some way to stop that so I don't have to go back into the dvr menu and resume my playback? I am setup in dual mode.

Thanks.

I have no idea, but my 722k in dual mode does not do that.

Tried soft reset?

Tried power cycling the receiver (unplug receiver for 15 seconds?)

If a new recordings starts while I'm playing back a previously recorded show, it swtiches to live tv. Is there some way to stop that so I don't have to go back into the dvr menu and resume my playback? I am setup in dual mode.
Steve,

In Dual mode this is normal if you are viewing the tuner assigned to that new recording, In other words, if you were watching a recording on TV2 and the upcoming timer is assigned to TV2, you'll stop seeing that old recording and now view the new recording in progress.

There are some ways to minimize this depending on which TV you "usually" view, etc.

If this has already been explained, I apologize. I can't see the post that follows yours. :)

Last edited:
[QUOSteve, glad to provide you the answer.TE=steve48;2286342]... I am setup in dual mode. [/QUOTE]
Sure, Steve, glad to provide you with the correct answer. :)

It isn't exactly doing that. I am watching tv1 (either live or a recorded show) and when a recording starts on tv2, it switches the channel on tv1 to channel 2. I did a reboot and it didn't change anything. As you can imagine, it is quite annoying to have what you are watching interrupted.

It isn't exactly doing that. I am watching tv1 (either live or a recorded show) and when a recording starts on tv2, it switches the channel on tv1 to channel 2. I did a reboot and it didn't change anything. As you can imagine, it is quite annoying to have what you are watching interrupted.
Are you in Single or Dual Mode?

I'm running in dual mode.
When you say, "and when a recording starts on tv2" you are mistaken. Your new recording is starting on TV1. In Dual Mode the timer is assigned to the tuner from which it was created unless you enter the Menus under preferences and enable Record Plus and chose a default tuner for recordings. If you predominantly view TV1 it might make sense to select TV2 as the default recorder. TV1 will be used only if you have two sat timers set to record simultaneously.

From E*, "
* In Dual Mode with Record Plus enabled, set up future DVR timers at the TV location you did not pick in the Record Plus setting – this will ensure a lower chance of recording conflicts.
* If TV2 is set as your Record Plus location, then set up future DVR timers at the TV1 location (using the TV1 green tab remote control). The first timer uses TV2; if there is another DVR timer set for the same time, the receiver will use TV1."

Actually, I went into Record Plus and chose tv2 as the default. Even when I'm watching tv1, when a recording starts and stops on tv2, the channel on tv1 switches to channel 2. Other than being the first channel, I don't know why it goes to channel 2. The tv2 recordings aren't even recording channel 2! I can just hit recall button and the channel changes back to what I was watching with no affect on the recording. So it does it both when I'm watching a recorded show and when I'm watching live tv on tv1.

Actually, I went into Record Plus and chose tv2 as the default. Even when I'm watching tv1, when a recording starts and stops on tv2, the channel on tv1 switches to channel 2. Other than being the first channel, I don't know why it goes to channel 2. The tv2 recordings aren't even recording channel 2! I can just hit recall button and the channel changes back to what I was watching with no affect on the recording. So it does it both when I'm watching a recorded show and when I'm watching live tv on tv1.
In Dual Mode TV1 can only view TV1. TV2 can only view TV2.

IF you are actually in Dual mode, you cannot see TV2. Period.

When you push the Select button and the banner at the top of the screen appears, does the banner Say "Dual Mode" on the left side?

Did you originally create the timers that you say are happening on TV2 when you were in Single Mode? Or when you were at TV2.

Changing Record Plus after you have already created timers does not un-ring that bell.

I'm afraid you'll need to seek help from Dish. good luck.

Yes, tv1 is an hdtv. It is connected via hdmi so no other choice. The recording on tv2 works correctly. It just changes the channel on tv1 to channel 2 whenever a recording on tv2 starts or stops. If I have 2 recordings at the same time, it behaves correctly and switches tv1 to the tv1 recording. I just don't see why it changes the channel on tv1 when there isn't a recording on tv1, but it a recording on tv2.

No idea, but as previously stated this is not a normal function.

Might need to get a replacement.

Yes, tv1 is an hdtv. ....

I asked and said in my last post:

"When you push the Select button and the banner at the top of the screen appears, does the banner Say "Dual Mode" on the left side?

Did you originally create the timers that you say are happening on TV2 when you were in Single Mode? Or when you were at TV2.

Changing Record Plus after you have already created timers does not un-ring that bell."

Any answers available?

Sorry, yes, it says it is in dual mode. And yes, I recreated all the recordings after I changed the record plus setting. The record plus function works. All recordings are done on tv2 unless there need to be 2. The second one is always on tv1. There is just something that causes tv1 to go to live channel 2 when a recording starts or stop on tv2. The other weird thing is I never even record on channel 2 on tv2.

I actually mean channel 2. It doesn't go to tv2, but actually changes tv1 to live channel 2. If I'm watching a recording, it switches to live channel 2. If I'm watching another channel, it switches to channel 2. If I'm watching a recording and two recordings are going on, it asks if I want to stop the recording and go to live tv on channel 2.

I actually mean channel 2. It doesn't go to tv2, but actually changes tv1 to live channel 2. If I'm watching a recording, it switches to live channel 2. If I'm watching another channel, it switches to channel 2. If I'm watching a recording and two recordings are going on, it asks if I want to stop the recording and go to live tv on channel 2.
As I earlier suggested, call Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts