722k to Hopper Scenario

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Woof3

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
CT
Greetings all,

Maybe a DIRT question here....

Just wanted to throw out if a certain scenario would fit for my uses. I currently have a 722k and I'm wondering if the Hopper would be a good fit for me.

I currently have one 722k based down in the family room for TV1 and it runs the TV2 up to the bedroom. I have a kitchen tv that I run wireless TV2 Video/Audio to my kitchen TV. Lousy kitchen setup to say the least as there is always some interference on that TV and it's like old school analog antenna positioning all the time to get that antenna just the right way. I know, sad for 2014. Also, my TV2 reception is lousy from down in the Fam Room.

I also have my OTA running thru the 722k via the OTA adapter in the 722k.

Would a Hopper set up be able to handle my needs in this scenario? Often times my wife records and watches her shows on TV2, but the 722k stinks as you always have to watch the recording channel where it's recording, either TV1 or 2.

Thanks for tips and do u think I would be able to swing a deal on a Hopper, if it works out, since I'm a 10 year customer?

Paul

As far as the deal, you'd get the same one as everyone else. Free with an extra 2 year commitment.

The Hopper would give you an extra tuner, so as not to tie up tv2 during recordings like on the 722. You would have to purchase the Hopper OTA adapter, it's different than the 722k module. You could still use the wireless signal to the kitchen, although you would need an rf modulator as there is no coax output off of either the Hopper or Joey. Dish is coming out with a wireless joey soon, so that would possibly be an option for the kitchen, although it will add some cost to your bill.

We are also releasing a Super Joey soon, which provides 2 additional tuners for a total of 5 tuners, combined with the Hopper, if you record a lot. I do not have the specifications on the Super Joey, yet, but I am assuming it will require RG 6, 3 GHz like the Hopper. Please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks.

Greetings all,

Maybe a DIRT question here....

Just wanted to throw out if a certain scenario would fit for my uses. I currently have a 722k and I'm wondering if the Hopper would be a good fit for me.

I currently have one 722k based down in the family room for TV1 and it runs the TV2 up to the bedroom. I have a kitchen tv that I run wireless TV2 Video/Audio to my kitchen TV. Lousy kitchen setup to say the least as there is always some interference on that TV and it's like old school analog antenna positioning all the time to get that antenna just the right way. I know, sad for 2014. Also, my TV2 reception is lousy from down in the Fam Room.

I also have my OTA running thru the 722k via the OTA adapter in the 722k.

Would a Hopper set up be able to handle my needs in this scenario? Often times my wife records and watches her shows on TV2, but the 722k stinks as you always have to watch the recording channel where it's recording, either TV1 or 2.

Thanks for tips and do u think I would be able to swing a deal on a Hopper, if it works out, since I'm a 10 year customer?

Paul

Thank you very much for these answers. The wireless Joey seems like a good fit for the kitchen when it comes out. The extra tuners on the Super Joey may be a bit for my needs as I have only the 2 tuner need now with the additional wireless connection to the kitchen TV.

VERY much appreciate, now I know what to wait for as far as the wireless Joey when it comes out.

Any idea on the fee structure for the Hopper and wireless Joey?

Wireless Joey of new form out in the "spring." But you can make a current Joey wireless if you have a wireless router.

Joeys, including Virtual Joeys, are $7/mo, Super Joeys $10/mo. First Hopper "free" but there's a whole home DVR fee of $12/mo. Second Hopper $12/mo.

5 bucks added to my current $7 dollar DVR fee plus another 10 for the Joey, that's 15 on top of what I have now.

I guess that's the price of the free Hopper plus a 2 yr. commitment.

Sheesh, I feel like Al Pacino .... I was out of a commitment, now they want to pull me back in :cool:

5 bucks added to my current $7 dollar DVR fee plus another 10 for the Joey, that's 15 on top of what I have now.

Sheesh, I feel like Al Pacino .... I was out of a commitment, now they want to pull me back in :cool:

Well, consider where you will be compared to where you are.:)

$7 for Joey. $10 for Super Joey, which adds 2 sat tuners.

You could just move to a single Hopper and mirror it throughout the house, similar to what you are doing today, with similar disappointing results. But you'll have that 3rd tuner, which seems to be of value to you, and the ability to Sling and transfer programs to iPad with HWS.

1st Hopper on the account carries a $12 whole home DVR fee. 1st & subsequent Joeys carry $7 fee. Super Joey rumored to carry a $10 a month fee, nothing official yet. A 2nd Hopper would carry a $12 fee. If you have access to your home network at your kitchen TV (assuming you have no coax run to that location), you can use one of the current Joeys there using Ethernet or a usb wireless adaptor. The Joey would have to be installed using the coax cable from the node, but then could be moved and used wirelessly after the initial install. The new wireless Joey when it comes out will come with its own wireless access point so you could pretty much place it anywhere in your house. Not sure what that monthly fee will be, but anywhere from $7 to $10 is a good guess.

Sounds like you are interested in a 1 Hopper/ 2 Joey setup for three TVs. This would give you independent viewing at all 3 locations and access to ALL recordings and OTA at all 3 TVs. To accomplish this you would need 2 coax lines from your sat dish to a Single Node. The node can be installed outside, in an attic or crawl space, in your basement, or just about anywhere as long as you can get 2 lines from your sat dish to it. From the node host port you will need 1 RG6 3GHz coax line to the Hopper location. If you use any wall plate connectors they must be 3GHZ. You would then connect the Joeys to the client ports of the node. (Joeys can be connected using RG59, but most people here like to use RG6 3GHz for everything.) Joey connections are a little more flexible and you can use splitters between the client port and a Joey if necessary. For instance I have 3 Joeys connected, but there are only 2 client ports on my node, so I have one Joey connected to one client port, then I have a second line off the second client port that then runs into a splitter and then to the two other Joeys. There really is a lot more flexibility in the Joey install than the Hopper.

Also as always there are always people here to help and DIRT Team is a great resource.

Edit: I see a few others posted while I was writing. Sorry for dupe info.

Last edited:
1st Hopper on the account carries a $12 whole home DVR fee. 1st & subsequent Joeys carry $7 fee. Super Joey rumored to carry a $10 a month fee, nothing official yet. A 2nd Hopper would carry a $12 fee. If you have access to your home network at your kitchen TV (assuming you have no coax run to that location), you can use one of the current Joeys there using Ethernet or a usb wireless adaptor. The Joey would have to be installed using the coax cable from the node, but then could be moved and used wirelessly after the initial install. The new wireless Joey when it comes out will come with its own wireless access point so you could pretty much place it anywhere in your house. Not sure what that monthly fee will be, but anywhere from $7 to $10 is a good guess.

Sounds like you are interested in a 1 Hopper/ 2 Joey setup for three TVs. This would give you independent viewing at all 3 locations and access to ALL recordings and OTA at all 3 TVs. To accomplish this you would need 2 coax lines from your sat dish to a Single Node. The node can be installed outside, in an attic or crawl space, in your basement, or just about anywhere as long as you can get 2 lines from your sat dish to it. From the node host port you will need 1 RG6 3GHz coax line to the Hopper location. If you use any wall plate connectors they must be 3GHZ. You would then connect the Joeys to the client ports of the node. (Joeys can be connected using RG59, but most people here like to use RG6 3GHz for everything.) Joey connections are a little more flexible and you can use splitters between the client port and a Joey if necessary. For instance I have 3 Joeys connected, but there are only 2 client ports on my node, so I have one Joey connected to one client port, then I have a second line off the second client port that then runs into a splitter and then to the two other Joeys. There really is a lot more flexibility in the Joey install than the Hopper.

Also as always there are always people here to help and DIRT Team is a great resource.

Edit: I see a few others posted while I was writing. Sorry for dupe info.
That'll teach you about being long winded. ;)

I have been with Dish for at least 10 years and have many movies that I have not watched on my EHD. So, for me to make a new 2 year commitment to get a free Hopper with Sling installed was a no brainer. I ain't changing providers anyway.

As time bears on, I really see less and less use for the Super Joey.

It's only advantage seems to be tight integration with the Hopper.

For $2 more (theoretically) with the second Hopper you get a third tuner and another large hard drive plus it is rumored that similar integration of 2 Hoppers is coming.

I'm keeping my 2 Hopper setup.

"it is rumored that similar integration of 2 Hoppers is coming"
Really? I heard that when the hopper first came out but no one will confirm it's even a possibility now. I have heard the dreaded word "soon" which usually means not in my lifetime. Hope you know something as I would love to have my 2 HWS integrated.

IIRC there was a post about shared timers, but not a single DVR list, due out by year's end.

I'd rather they stop all that, and fix what they've broken. This is getting ridiculous.

When the $5 - 18mo discount goes away I may switch out a Hopper for a Super Joey but who knows what will be available for equipment a year from now.

BTW navychop, I grew up in VA- (Arlington), still have family there. You guys have had the worst winter ever, here in Oregon it hasn't even compared!

"it is rumored that similar integration of 2 Hoppers is coming"
Really? I heard that when the hopper first came out but no one will confirm it's even a possibility now. I have heard the dreaded word "soon" which usually means not in my lifetime. Hope you know something as I would love to have my 2 HWS integrated.
According to Scott, not gonna happen. So it is what it is.

When the $5 - 18mo discount goes away I may switch out a Hopper for a Super Joey but who knows what will be available for equipment a year from now. BTW navychop, I grew up in VA- (Arlington), still have family there. You guys have had the worst winter ever, here in Oregon it hasn't even compared!

Yeah pretty bad. Just more snow. Haven't started my seedlings indoors yet even.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

According to Scott, not gonna happen. So it is what it is.

Full integration, no. Partial, as in one hopper setting timers on the other, maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts