74W

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Not much there, some news feeds in the afternoon/evening and at least one full time data TP. I think H2 is headed off to the middle east soon anyways.

Yep there's some news service out of CT that uses it in the evenings... and I've run across Bloomberg tv on it a few times. Not much in the way of sports feeds any more though.

Just wondering. Tried scanning on it and nothing appeared so im starting to wonder if the dish is off kilter a little

Yep stays in my list also. I still catch a few things there in the evenings.

So once it moves, will another satellite take its slot or will 74W be an empty slot from now on?

It makes sense that empty slots get refilled with something and with both 74w and 79w having a sat moved out, there's two slots for something new. But whether its a ku or c band bird or something else, that would be a question as would be what the current commercial demand is for more tp's is at this point. DTV, DN, Sirius etc. would seem to be fully built out. Have to speculate that there is not enough demand right now for whats in the sky over eastern North America already or else these two birds would not be moving to somewhere else that presumably is more profitable. Then again maybe they are moving so something new with more up to date technology can take their place.

So once it moves, will another satellite take its slot or will 74W be an empty slot from now on?

from what I have heard no nothing will replace it
As noted there isnt enough channels around to have a satellite sitting there when it can be used for other areas to its fullest capacity

It'll be empty until some satellte operator decides there is enough demand in North America to drift a sat there or launch and operate one there.

Election 2012 should be interesting with those 2 sats gone. Gut feeling thinks a lot of election feeds are going to be horrible skype since you are missing quite a bit of sat capacity to cram news feeds on for that once every 2 years heavy demand night.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)