Hipasat 30w LOCKED ID as Horizons 2 74w

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

emphanidzo

Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Ohio
Installed a standalone dish today and pointed it at the 30w position with a signal lock. However when verifying the ID, my SupperBuddy ID'd the satellite as the 74w orbital. It is clearly not that orbital. Has anyone else experienced this or can guide me in the right direction as to why it would say that?

Installed a standalone dish today and pointed it at the 30w position with a signal lock. However when verifying the ID, my SupperBuddy ID'd the satellite as the 74w orbital. It is clearly not that orbital. Has anyone else experienced this or can guide me in the right direction as to why it would say that?
There is a signal on 30w that has the same tuning parameters as on 74w so the meter thinks you are on Horizons-2. For any of the new meters that claim auto satellite ID, I have to claim BS for the reason that you found. There is truly one easy way I know for a meter to be able to reliably auto-ID a satellite and no meters out there do it.

emphanidzo,

Is your SuperBuddy "up-to-date" with its software and field guide packages? I don't recall having this error with my SuperBuddy, but it has been a while since I checked eith one of these sats with this meter.

RADAR

Thanks for all the responses. I do have a new SuperBuddy 29 with all current software update. I was unaware of the signal ID appearing the same as the 74W. I thought every satellite had a unique encoded ID.

Thanks for all the responses. I do have a new SuperBuddy 29 with all current software update. I was unaware of the signal ID appearing the same as the 74W. I thought every satellite had a unique encoded ID.
No sat meter I know of can do that - they all make assumptions (usually based on locking one signal's tuning parameters and maybe sometimes a few more on a particular satellite to try to assure more reliability). Gut feeling is still the best - if a satellite meter ID's the sat as Horizons-2 and you are pointing more like 30W, then you should have a feeling the meter is in error because where you are pointed in the sky doesn't make much sense. To get a much more accurate satellite ID, you need a PCI tuner card and software that parses locked signal info to get to that piece of data. I suppose sat meters are getting better tuners and fancier processors such that the day may be a few years away until the sat meter will be able to parse the locked signal to get to the info it needs for much better satellite ID accuracy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)