8 bay antenna vs 91XG yagi

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
If it's just one station, or two close together, and both are UHF, I'd go with the 91XG if you can swing it. The dB8 presents a big wind load, and if you don't need VHF, it's just a liability, unless you get more ice storms than wind storms. The long beam on a 91XG (it's not a Yagi, it's a log-periodic) makes it susceptible to ice buildup in freezing rain, which the dB8 has less trouble with.

Another option is the CS-4, which is a LOT smaller than the dB8, but performs similarly. This is still assuming that ice is a bigger problem than wind, and you're not gunning for a VHF transmitter.

I'm running a db8 60 miles from Augusta, Georgia. ABC (Channel 6) and NBC (Channel 26) come in fine day or night with amp. CBS (Channel 12) pixilates some during the day. One closer PBS station (Channel 14) come in regardless of where the antenna is pointed.

I must be on the fringe for the db8.

60 miles isn't that far for a dB8 that's properly installed. A longer mast and/or a good preamp should fix your pixellation problems, Gordon. My grandmother uses a 10-year-old fishbone monstrosity from Radio Shack with a Channel Master 7777 on a 30' mast, and gets very good reception from 55 miles out, and a dB8 would significantly outperform the fishbone. The problem for her is that she's in Tornado Alley, and a dB8 tends to act like a sail.

How much improvement will a larger yagi make over a smaller one? I have noticed that I can pick up an additional channel using the yagi portion of an antenna that a regular antenna will not pick up.

Digital TV reception is more of an art than a science.

Only experimentation can truly tell you which will be better.

"Yagi" style antennas only go up to about 50 miles. A 4-bay bowtie typically has more UHF gain than even the biggest yagi, which is why the dB8 and log-periodics like the 91XG exist. Even with the best-designed, best-built antennas, UHF is only transmits to about 70 miles, Tropo-skip notwithstanding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts