8 foot dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Guitar playing jimmy G

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 15, 2016
Kaleva Mich
Hi guys, I'm helping my friend with a 8 foot dish and we're not having any luck with finding any satellite's, was thinking maybe the dish is to small? Or maybe a bad LNBF? We're in Northwest Michigan so maybe need a 10 foot dish?

Hi guys, I'm helping my friend with a 8 foot dish and we're not having any luck with finding any satellite's, was thinking maybe the dish is to small? Or maybe a bad LNBF? We're in Northwest Michigan so maybe need a 10 foot dish?
Nah, while a few signals might require a 10 foot dish (such as the 16PSK ones) most will come in fine on a 8 foot dish IF you have a modern LNB and IF you have a modern digital receiver and IF you have at least some idea how to aim it, and how to set the skew and focal depth on the LNB. The problem with the hobby of satellite TV is there are a lot of different parts that need to be individually adjusted for maximum signal strength. For example the dish could be pointed dead on at a satellite but if the skew on the LNB is way off you won't see a thing (though you might if you lie to the receiver about the polarity). Or if you have an older than dirt receiver that only receives analog signals you won't get anything. Or if your coaxial cable is bad... well, you get the idea.

I've always had the best luck taking the receiver and a small portable TV right out to the dish and setting it to a known good transponder, then if you get fairly close to the satellite you should start to see a rise in signal strength. If not the LNB skew may be off, or the LNB may be bad (especially if there was ever a close-by lightning strike). In any case once you can receive something out at the dish, if you can't receive it inside the house then the cable might be bad.

Check your local library (don't forget about interlibrary loan) and see if they still have any old books from the 80's about setting up a home satellite system. Ignore anything about receivers, satellite positions, or old-style LNA's because that will all be ancient technology, but concentrate on the part about how to aim the dish and how to track the satellite arc. Without knowing more about what actual equipment you are trying to use (besides the dish) it's hard to make any more specific recommendations.

Nah, while a few signals might require a 10 foot dish (such as the 16PSK ones) most will come in fine on a 8 foot dish IF you have a modern LNB and IF you have a modern digital receiver and IF you have at least some idea how to aim it, and how to set the skew and focal depth on the LNB. The problem with the hobby of satellite TV is there are a lot of different parts that need to be individually adjusted for maximum signal strength. For example the dish could be pointed dead on at a satellite but if the skew on the LNB is way off you won't see a thing (though you might if you lie to the receiver about the polarity). Or if you have an older than dirt receiver that only receives analog signals you won't get anything. Or if your coaxial cable is bad... well, you get the idea.

I've always had the best luck taking the receiver and a small portable TV right out to the dish and setting it to a known good transponder, then if you get fairly close to the satellite you should start to see a rise in signal strength. If not the LNB skew may be off, or the LNB may be bad (especially if there was ever a close-by lightning strike). In any case once you can receive something out at the dish, if you can't receive it inside the house then the cable might be bad.

Check your local library (don't forget about interlibrary loan) and see if they still have any old books from the 80's about setting up a home satellite system. Ignore anything about receivers, satellite positions, or old-style LNA's because that will all be ancient technology, but concentrate on the part about how to aim the dish and how to track the satellite arc. Without knowing more about what actual equipment you are trying to use (besides the dish) it's hard to make any more specific recommendations.
Thank you for the information, I've set up several systems and never had this kind of problem, equipment is all new digital, but I think maybe LNBF might be the problem?, But gonna go through all the steps and make sure I have everything set correctly, thank you

Also don't overlook obstructions such as trees - I assume you have taken that into account, but this week is the week in the fall when the sun closely tracks the satellite arc so if you know what time the sun is (almost exactly) behind the satellite you are interested in, you can observe whether there are any shadows on your dish. With an 8 foot dish it would not take a huge branch to make a significant impact. Good luck and hope you figure it out!

Also don't overlook obstructions such as trees - I assume you have taken that into account, but this week is the week in the fall when the sun closely tracks the satellite arc so if you know what time the sun is (almost exactly) behind the satellite you are interested in, you can observe whether there are any shadows on your dish. With an 8 foot dish it would not take a huge branch to make a significant impact. Good luck and hope you figure it out!
I think I found my problem, the LNBF he purchased was a titanium 5g interference, the skew is supposed to be set at 0 Horizontal not vertical, so Will try that tonight and see if it takes care of the problem, will keep you posted thanks again for the help

Thought I would let everyone know that I did get the 8 foot dish up and running, was the LNBF the New 5G interference have to be set on skew to 0 Horizontal not vertical, and that took Care of the problem, thank you to you all for the information , you are a great team, thank you Jim Gauthier KD8FHC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts