8 ft prime focus move some questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vassho

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
I just moved one of my Prime focus dishes from my one farm to another
It was set on W5 before I took her down marked everything so set up would be easier
The move of the new Dish is about 8 miles south west from its old location
I just put the dish up after waiting for the pole to set the last few weeks Im in southeastern ohio and we have had much rain so it took a while to get it set as for concrete to dry

For the most part the pole is level as when I check it its perfectly level north to south and about a 1/16 or so of a inch off bubble east to west, as with all the wind and rain I am surprised it stayed that close and did not move much at all as I was worried for a while, about it staying level, but its solid its not going anywhere now

I put the dish up today pointed it to W5 got 81% signal strength and 74 quality and thats just using old Coax from the LNb to my meter. I IMagine new Coax will improve this as it was just a rough set up from the outside havent ran any inside wiring yet, I use a Corotor 2 wide for my Lnbs. I have a variety of feed horns I can use with newer Corotors some ADL feed horns, but the one on it now is one of the first Corotor 2 that was manufactured and so much better made then the newer ones much more heavy duty as the newer ones that just look so cheap compared to this one on it now The throat is wider the material its made of is so much more heavier even looks like its a different material then the newer ones as its white where the newer ones are grey,

Any suggestions any problems one may see that may arise from the move of the dish and the set up at the new location
Thanks

I am wondering if I may have any tracking issues after this move any adjustments that I may need to make on the old location it was set up perfect not sure this few mile move will require any new adjustments

Perhaps your aim is still a little off. Is the dish motorized or stationary?

If motorized, 1/16" on the bubble will likely haunt you when trying for sats at either end of the arc. If stationary, you'll be OK with some good fine-tuning.

Try adjusting the mounts for left/right and up/down to maximize the signal and quality, then work on the scalar/LNB assembly for skew and focal distance tweaking.
While you're at it, it might be a good idea to check the dish for warp.
And then go back to the mounts to perfect the alt/az and polar alignment.

Transplanting a dish AND retaining perfect alignment can be a little tricky, they
don't always go back together the exact same way they came apart.

Good luck, perseverance = satisfaction!

thanks

Perhaps your aim is still a little off. Is the dish motorized or stationary?

If motorized, 1/16" on the bubble will likely haunt you when trying for sats at either end of the arc. If stationary, you'll be OK with some good fine-tuning.

Try adjusting the mounts for left/right and up/down to maximize the signal and quality, then work on the scalar/LNB assembly for skew and focal distance tweaking.
While you're at it, it might be a good idea to check the dish for warp.
And then go back to the mounts to perfect the alt/az and polar alignment.

Transplanting a dish AND retaining perfect alignment can be a little tricky, they
don't always go back together the exact same way they came apart.

Good luck, perseverance = satisfaction!
Thanks
The dish is movable and when i took it down I took nothing apart but to take the actuator off The dish is only a year old bought it boxed off a dealer that went out of business its a 8 ft Unimesh, when checking the pole today for it being level Its just about dead on the off bubble i found out to be on part of the pole that is pitted but checking the level of the mount on the pole its just about perfect the bubble staying inside of the lines not going outside of the lines at all on the east and west side of it the bubble is in between the lines just touching one of the lines, so I would say Its as level as one could expect.

I am bad for this rather compulsive when setting the pole I would check it every hour making sure It was still level, I would have loved to bring one of my 12 foot dishes here, but left them for the kids and the 8 footer is much more easier to work with.
Now I have the receiver issue which one do I use, I have a Topfield, some view sats, coolsats a technisat I got in Germany and a Captiveworks cw3000, plus a Variety of other manufactured receivers each are cool in there own way
I use a Pansat 3500 to switch polarity since I use a servo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)