Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Remember those Horse Racing Channels which were announced a year ago by DISH Network?

Well I am hearing that they are coming to DISH Network... And your going to hear it here first...

The rumor is the 80 channels of RTN will launch on DISH Network on June 3rd. The 80 channels will broadcast from the 118.7 orbital location.

No word on pricing yet...

Horse racing fans rejoice.

I could see it happening... put them in MPEG4, Turbo QPSK. They have TP's 4,5,8,9,10,11,12,18,21,31, and possibly 32 open.

Good, keep it where it's not using up anybody else's space, the bitrate on the core channels is crappy enough already.

Good, keep it where it's not using up anybody else's space, the bitrate on the core channels is crappy enough already.

Charlie lose another bet?

Great!

Just another excuse to compress the $20 per channel internationals till they are unviewable. Instead of providing some internationals in HD like PFC, Globo, and NHK, they keep compressing the 480i SD down even farther to 2.5mbps and charging more when the programmer is sending dish a healthy 12 mbps SD.

Charlie lose another bet?

Great!

Just another excuse to compress the $20 per channel internationals till they are unviewable. Instead of providing some internationals in HD like PFC, Globo, and NHK, they keep compressing the 480i SD down even farther to 2.5mbps and charging more when the programmer is sending dish a healthy 12 mbps SD.

I was just thinking the same thing.

why cant Dish use those TP's that had HD locals on them for this?
If they go MPEG4 they can use 2 or 3 TP's for all of them.

Wait, what?

At the risk of sounding stupid, because I apparently am missing something here... 80 horse racing channels??? WTH?

So this will be the alternate for ESPN-U HD? Wow Dish is really Horsing around with their subscribers hehe

Serious question. What is the purpose of 80 horse racing channels? What can they possibly show? Hell there may not be that many channels devoted to the 4 major sports combined.

Again, I know I am missing something, or misread it.

Serious question. What is the purpose of 80 horse racing channels? What can they possibly show? Hell there may not be that many channels devoted to the 4 major sports combined.

Again, I know I am missing something, or misread it.

well there is 40 race track channels up there on 95W that are available for subscription with a FTA receiver. In most cases they use 1 channel per track unless you have something like a track that runs only daytime and is done by 5 or 6 then they use the Australia track on the same channel. So they are "part time"...they start showing the info for race 1 about an hour before post time

And these all arent HORSE race tracks...lots of greyhound tracks too

I can see where they can use 80 channels. You'd be amazed at how many horse race tracks are out there. Typical weekend I can scan in on FTA around 60 or so tracks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)