811 and dvd recorder hook up ?

Mikec35

Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
I just hooked up a Toshiba D-VR4 dvd/vcr recorder to my 811 receiver. I can watch a disk or tape being played back through my dvd/vcr on the tv, but I cannot record anything from the satellite channels. Any advice on how to hook this thing up. I have audio/video cables run from the output on the 811 to the input on the dvd recorder. I then ran my component video cables out of the dvd recorder to my tv. Any help would be appreciated! Seems like I should be able to watch tv through the dvd recorder as well?

Thanks for the quick reply. I understand that the s-video will give me better picture quality, but will it solve my problem of the recorder not reciveing a signal from the receiver?

Try This

Try running the DVD/VCR into the tv using component cables since they will give you the best picture and a set of cables for the sound. Then attach composite cables to the monitor out on the back of your tv to the input on the back of the DVD/VCR combo.
I have 811 and a dvd/vcr recording combo as well and that set up works for me.

Shouldn't you be able to view channels on the satellite through the dvd recorder?
I tried line 1 and 2 inputs. I also tried channels 3 and 4, just like you would do with a vcr. I will try movieMark's suggestion in a little bit... thx for the replies!!

Last edited:
I finally had time to try this again. I have the output from the 811 going to the input on the dvd/vcr recorder and the output from the dvd/vcr recorder going to the tv. Recorder is set to line 1 input and all is good. Now, I can view tv as I am recording.. Is there a way to record 1 channel while watching another, or will I just have to watch the channel I am recording? Thx...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts