811 Aspect Ratio Control

pfef98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 31, 2004
Pace, FL
I have a widescreen (16:9) Samsung HDTV, and I'm thinking of getting an 811. I was just wondering how it handles different aspect ratios. My TV can do different things with 4:3 broadcasts, but how does the 811 handle them?

If you're watching an SD channel through the DVI or Component connections, does it stretch the 4:3 or does it center it in the screen with black bars on the sides?

Just wondering.

--Matt

I set up the 811 to be in 1080i mode all the time, so as far as my HDTV goes, it's getting an "HD" signal all the time, and I set the aspect ratio control on my TV to "normal" all the time, and use the 811 aspect ratio controls instead.

When in HD, the 811 has the following modes: HD:Grey Bar, HD: Normal, HD: Stretch, HD: Partial Zoom, HD: Full Zoom.

So, when I'm watching normal HD programming (Dish and OTA), I have the 811 set to HD:Normal, which gives me full 16x9 aspect ratio. When I'm watching SD programming, I set the 811 to HD:Stretch or HD:partial Zoom. I use HD: Stretch when I'm watching something like ESPN2, where I want to see the scores along the bottom of the screen. I use HD: Partial Zoom for all other SD programming, because there is less "stretch" noticeable, and it still fills my 16x9 screen.

You can find more info on the other modes on the Dish website, in the products section, where you can download the actual 811 manual.

Gary

I prefer to use the S-Video output of my 811 for SD or 525i programming, because it will then be full screen on my Sony 4:3 TV. With your widescreen Sammy, you'll just have to experiment. You can easily control the aspect modes of the 811 with the page up (for HD) and page down (for SD) buttons. Each button press will cycle throught the available modes.

Also, it remembers what setting you use for SD channels and HD channels. So, if you are watching an HD channel using HD normal...then switch to a SD channel it will switch to whatever you used last for SD channels. Mine is usually set to
HD HD normal
SD HD stretch

What the 811 should have is a 480i override selection. My cable bo:mad:gasp!) had this feature which was awesome. I outputted all signal thru component into my tv. Then the box would either send out a 16x9 1080i signal if it detected a HD program, or it defaulted back to 4x3 480i signal when a SD program was detected. Worked great and I didn't have to switch inputs on my tv. Too bad cable was too expensive and just kept increasing prices, I probably would have never switched to Dish. IMO, there is no discernible difference in services. In fact I got more HD channels from cable than I do with Dish.

jdesisto said:
IMO, there is no discernible difference in services. In fact I got more HD channels from cable than I do with Dish.

Depends entirely on the quality of the cable system your comparing. Some are better, some are the same, many are complete crap! (mine).

NightRyder

Cholly said:
I prefer to use the S-Video output of my 811 for SD or 525i programming, because it will then be full screen on my Sony 4:3 TV. With your widescreen Sammy, you'll just have to experiment. You can easily control the aspect modes of the 811 with the page up (for HD) and page down (for SD) buttons. Each button press will cycle throught the available modes.

Hi Cholly,

So do you have both component cables and the s-video cable connected from the 811 to the HDTV? And, if so, how is it that you 'tell' the 811 which port to use? I'm still new to this so pardon my 'newbie' questions.

Thanks a bunch!

lblampman said:
Hi Cholly,

So do you have both component cables and the s-video cable connected from the 811 to the HDTV? And, if so, how is it that you 'tell' the 811 which port to use? I'm still new to this so pardon my 'newbie' questions.

Thanks a bunch!
The 811 feeds both at the same time

Kevinw said:
The 811 feeds both at the same time

Ok, so I'm guessing that would mean using two different input sections on my Hitachi HDTV (like input1 and input2). If so, I'll have to do something a bit differently since I'm already out of input space on the back ot the TV. Acutally on my set with the 811 the SD isn't looking too bad (fingers crossed!).

Thanks for the info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)