811 HD > S-VIDEO letterbox ??

DigitalDave

Original poster
Jan 16, 2005
Colorado
I'm recording the S-video 811 output into a Panasonic DMR-E80 (dvd recorder) but the resulting files appear to be 4:3 letterboxed when recording HD programming. Anyone out there know if the 811 formats the S-video outputs this way? I really want it to be in anamorphic mode.

Dave

DigitalDave said:
I'm recording the S-video 811 output into a Panasonic DMR-E80 (dvd recorder) but the resulting files appear to be 4:3 letterboxed when recording HD programming. Anyone out there know if the 811 formats the S-video outputs this way? I really want it to be in anamorphic mode.

Dave

When you are recording an HD channel (or digital OTA) to your DVD recorder, push the "page down" button on your 811 remote. This will change your picture to full zoom and all will be well.

No Bobby, all that does is turn the video into 4:3 by chopping off the sides. I want to make a DVD which has the 16:9 aspect ratio, so the recorder needs to see an anamorphic widescreen 480i input.

The best input on most DVD recorders is s-video, which is 4X3 by definition. There isn't such a thing as 16X9 s-video. The best you'll get is the 16X9 HD broadcast recorded as 4X3 letterbox and, yes, you will lose a lot of resolution when you zoom it up to fill your 16X9 screen via the component video out on your recorder.

Sorry, but unfortunately that is as good as it gets. I have the same disappointment with my new JVC DR-MV1S. Hollywood is pressuring the electronics companies to eliminate all recording at component video level, so there are few units left that have that as an input.

Carl B said:
The best input on most DVD recorders is s-video, which is 4X3 by definition. There isn't such a thing as 16X9 s-video.

Well, there is, somewhat. That is where 'anamorphic' comes in.

Change your DVD player to say you have a 16x9 tv and view an ENHANCED FOR WIDESCREEN (anamorphic) DVD via SVIDEO on a 4x3 tv. It looks like it was squished on the left and right hand side. A 16x9 tv will take that squished SVIDEO feed and only have to stretch it left and right, providing better quality than a typical ZOOM in all directions.

I'm pretty sure that is what DD is asking about. I don't think the 811 will do this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)