811 IR Remote Setup

yessirrom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
I just had an 811 and a 522 installed.

I would like to teach my universal remote IR commands to control the 811. Can I use the 522 remote to do this? :?:

No luck with the 522 remote. Dish says it will not work. I will have to try and find an older remote from the other 5 series I guess.

811 accepts IR signals. Using remote from DISH 4000 as an IR remote to 811 & works fine. Will not take 4000's UHF signal though. I think your best bet is to use an older remote to teach the Universal remote its signal.

I am going to try my local Dish dealer. If they have a demo unit, I can take my universal and learn the codes from their remote.

Success!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D I went down to a local dealer and looked for which receivers they had on display. I found a 301 and remote. I talked to a clerk and made sure they knew what I was doing. I have a Marantz RC2000 so I have to program each key manually. I spent about 10 minutes programming.

They had an 811 on display as well and assured me I would not be able to control it with an IR remote.

I made sure the addresses were the same and started demonstrating the power of the internet. :)

Worked like a charm. The other remote had a SYS INFO button so I added it as well. It all worked seamlessly.

Thanks for everyone's help.

I didn't trouble shoot the 522 remote much. I may play further and see if I missed something...

Turns out you can use the 522 remote to control the 811 or set up another IR remote. My first error was listening to the CSR. I assumed he knew what he was talking about.

I changed the remote address to match the 811 and it worked just fine. I did get to watch 1/2 of Pirates of the Caribean while I was at the Dish retailer. (sigh)

yessirrom said:
Turns out you can use the 522 remote to control the 811 or set up another IR remote. My first error was listening to the CSR. I assumed he knew what he was talking about.

I changed the remote address to match the 811 and it worked just fine. I did get to watch 1/2 of Pirates of the Caribean while I was at the Dish retailer. (sigh)

How do you change the remote address? I want to program my pronto remote with the IR but my downstairs 301 remote is on another address.

Ok I'm still SOL programming my pronto to get it to work with my 811. According to the threads above, I can take my 301 remote and program the IR into my pronto? To my knowlege, IR doesn't have a remote address...only UHF? If it's true that you can program the remote using the 301's. Why doesn't the 301 remote control the 811? I have a pronto 3000 model, does it accept UHF learning codes or is that feature just for the IR - UHF extender that you can buy through Phillips. Anyone get a pronto 3000 to work with the 811?

The addresses have to match. Set the 811 to a # and the 301 remote to the same. Then learn them.

yessirrom said:
The addresses have to match. Set the 811 to a # and the 301 remote to the same. Then learn them.

Thanks!! Why do you have to do this if you are programming just the IR to the pronto? I would think IR is IR and wouldn't matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts