811...Is it or is it NOT IR controllable...?

zambiaman

Original poster
Feb 9, 2004
Hello everyone! I am a newbie here, though I have been lurking and reading since I became a new Dish 811 owner.

I have an 811 and am trying to set it up with my ReplayTV 5040 so I can timeshift some shows.

Also I have called Dish three times and they are no help.

I want to know if the 811 can be controlled via IR remote. If it can it would remove the first problem.

The second problem is what code to use on the ReplayTV so that it can control the 811.

I called ReplayTV cust. serv. and they suggested a code but it does not work.

Any and all suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Zman.

1) Yes...but the Dish remote doesnt transmit IR for the SAT stuff

2) It should be code 0775

Thanks! But...

StevenD said:
1) Yes...but the Dish remote doesnt transmit IR for the SAT stuff

2) It should be code 0775

Yes, I know that the Dish remote does not do IR. However, I am using the IR blaster that comes with the ReplayTV.

The RPTV sends IR signals thru the IR blaster. I set the code to 0775 on the RPTV but the 811 does not respond at all. The IR blaster "head" is mounted right over the IR "eye" on the right side of the plastic bezel.

I am looking for an old 301 remote. I read in another thread here that the 811 responds to that IR remote.

Thanks for your help. Any other suggestions? I should have stayed with my 510. So easy :(

zambiaman said:
Yes, I know that the Dish remote does not do IR. However, I am using the IR blaster that comes with the ReplayTV. (

My 811 works with IR..

I have several UHF/IR "blue button" remotes that I used with my Dish 5000. They control the 811 just fine as long as they are aimed at it. I don't know if they could be configured to work with the blaster.

Dave

boba said:
be sure yor 811 is set to address 1 for the DISH remote setting.

The installer set it to address 10. Does the receiver have to be turned off before resetting the remote address? I tried to reset it to 1 using the procedure in the manual but to no avail. System Info still shows 10.

Thanks for your help, Bobo...:)

Update; 811works with IR remotes!!

I finally got thr remote address reset to 1. Then I tried the IR remote that comes with the 522 and it works fine with the 811.

This after talking to a CSR in Dish's "advanced" tech support, who emphatically stated, the 811 is NOT IR controllable.

So now, I have to figure out if the IR blaster that came with the Replay TV is working. Anyone know how to tell?

Thanks to all that replied.

ROLLTIDE said:
now if I could only get mine working

The tech told me to push the sys info button on the front of the receiver and check the number for the 811 remote, and then set any others to that number.

Couldn't get the Replay TV IR blaster to work until I changed the remote address to 1 on the 811. Replay gave me instructions that didn't work but the Dish tech straightened me out. On your 811 remote hold the satellite button until all the modes start to blink. Release. The SAT button will be blinking. Press the system info button on the front of the receiver to see the remote address. (on other DISH receivers you have to use the menu to get here.) Press 1, # and then hold down record until the address changes to 1. Press select. All set. Use code 0775 for the Replay TV blaster. Doing this made
my remote conflict with another Dish UHF remote in the house so I changed that address to 2 in similar fashion using that UHF remote in the sys info page.
The 811 receiver responds to IR (which is what the IR blaster transmits). The Magnovox 8 function learning remote runs the receiver even better than the original remote. e.g. the sub-T button on the Magnavox toggles the "favorites" lists, something I haven't figured out on the original. $13 for my favorite remote of my 2 or 3 dozen I have :) http://www.123av.com/DetailPage.asp?ProductID=PM-DVR8

Neighbors controlling my 811!

jdpeet said:
Couldn't get the Replay TV IR blaster to work until I changed the remote address to 1 on the 811.

The last few days my channels started changing sporadically. I figured out that my neighbors just got the Superdish and could have a UHF remote. Well I can change my remote code to anything other than 1, and it will work, but then my Replay 5504 won't control the 811. Is there any way for Replay to control the 811 if the 811 is using a different remote code than 1?

Maybe I'll have to go talk to the neighbors and see if I can change their remote code.

Thanks,
Neil

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)