811--Just ordered my receiver from DISH for $149

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Hi Kevin,

>This all works fine as long as your weren't sold on DHP!!!!!
>Once on DHP you are SCREWED

Don't take this personal, but anyone that signs up for a lease deal when you can own the equipment for free is an ............well, I better stop there :)

Hopefully this great forum will help others from making that mistake in the future.

928gt said:
Hi Kevin,

>This all works fine as long as your weren't sold on DHP!!!!!
>Once on DHP you are SCREWED

Don't take this personal, but anyone that signs up for a lease deal when you can own the equipment for free is an ............well, I better stop there :)

Hopefully this great forum will help others from making that mistake in the future.

Then what would you suggest for people who have 4 TV's?

I am confused ??

I have 5 TVs and 5 Receivers, maybe adding another soon as my dad gets bored with his new 811 :)

What is the problem, Dish allows 6 total receivers on a single account, Main receiver with 5 extra (@$4.99 each of course).

Correction :

7 TVs on 5 receivers, 2 TVs are "extensions" from the RF outputs on 2 of my receivers since I use the S Video fo rthe "main" Tvs on those 2 receivers. .

Cyclone said:
Well,

I qualify for the $149 deal, but the trouble is that I use my RGB connector from the 6000 to my Plasma (and the component input on my plasma is connected to the DVD player). I'd have to get a Component to RGB adapter to get one of them connecte to plasma if I went with the 811.

How about a new Stereo receiver that switches High speed component, they are getting more popular now.

This all works fine as long as your weren't sold on DHP!!!!!

Once on DHP you are SCREWED

You mean once you get up to 4 receivers FREE, installation FREE and your $49 bucks back you're screwed until your commitment runs out.

Poor baby! :rolleyes:

I called and got the $149 811 too, I was going to hold out for the 921, but this was so cheap that I decided to get and use until the 921 comes out.

I was specifically told no strings attached, no cancellation fees, programming commitments or CC autopay. I was required to have professional installation. The comfirmation person also comfirmed that there was no commitments at all.

A quick technical correction vis a vis RGB and Component Video.

In RGB, you are dealing with 3 color primaries Red, Green Blue.

In Component you have a Brightness (Luma) channel (aka Y) and two color difference channels (Luma - Red) = Pr, and (Luma - Blue) = Pb.

The difference is that typically Component video compromises the color space by offering 1/2 (4:2:2) or 1/4 (4:2:0) Chroma (color) information.

Cheers,

928gt said:

I am confused ??

I have 5 TVs and 5 Receivers, maybe adding another soon as my dad gets bored with his new 811 :)

What is the problem, Dish allows 6 total receivers on a single account, Main receiver with 5 extra (@$4.99 each of course).

I guess what I'm trying to say is I know I can get up to 3 receivers installed using the "free dish" program and I will then own the equipment, but if I want to add a fourth receiver at the same time as the initial install could I just pay retail for the fourth one and have it installed at the same time? Sorry, I'm a newbie and I'm just trying to figure things out.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I know I can get up to 3 receivers installed using the "free dish" program and I will then own the equipment, but if I want to add a fourth receiver at the same time as the initial install could I just pay retail for the fourth one and have it installed at the same time? Sorry, I'm a newbie and I'm just trying to figure things out.

You should be able to. Don't know if the installer would want extra for the fourth wire run though.

You mean once you get up to 4 receivers FREE, installation FREE and your $49 bucks back you're screwed until your commitment runs out.

Poor baby!

First off I don't have 4 receivers and installatin was not free and I did not get 49 bucks back. I have been with Dish more than 2 years and they where not running that promo back them.

What I don't like is they throw this free stuff out there so you will sign on. But when you want to upgrade and buy the hardware as the same price as non DHP customers they tell you to go screw your self.

That's all I am saying

Exclusive vs. Special Dish customer

I called Dish this evening and the CSR that I got didn't have a clue about any promotion on the 811. He told me that I would have to go to my local dealer for that. I asked him to check with his supervisor. Got put on hold. He came back with the same story.

I told him that I was aware of a dozen or more Dish customers who had gotten the promotion from Dish today. Got put on hold again.

He finally found the promotion up on his computer. I could get installation on Sunday but the price would be $199. I asked for the $149 deal but he said that I only qualified for the special $199 deal.

The $149 deal was reserved for exclusive customers and the determination of "special" vs "exclusive" was made by their computer system based on some combination of parameters that he couldn't delineate.

I'll call back tomorrow and see if I get a different answer.

This is my first post and I want to thank Scott and anyone else responsible for this terrific forum and the amazing info available here.

I got the $149 deal. I have been a customer over two years and pay E* $80.00 per month.

Let's compare notes and we can determine their parameters. If you got the $149 deal, what is your parameters. Also, if you only got the $199 deal, what is your parameters. Any other parameters that we should be considering.

jerryez said:
I got the $149 deal. I have been a customer over two years and pay E* $80.00 per month.

Let's compare notes and we can determine their parameters. If you got the $149 deal, what is your parameters. Also, if you only got the $199 deal, what is your parameters. Any other parameters that we should be considering.

I've been with Dish for about 4 years and pay them $33 a month (HBO and Starz plus Superpak plus access fee). Pay by automatic credit card.

I think that the key may be the monthly tariff. Previous posters have mentioned $50+ per month and they got the $149 deal

Ray

No committment!!!?!? So you mean to tell me i can theoretically get an 811 for $149 and then in 4-5 months, buy a 921 and sell the 811 on ebay for a pretty penny with no penalty?

This sounds too good to be true...

Ransack said:
No committment!!!?!? So you mean to tell me i can theoretically get an 811 for $149 and then in 4-5 months, buy a 921 and sell the 811 on ebay for a pretty penny with no penalty?

This sounds too good to be true...

The CSR I spoke with made no mention of any commitment for the deal. Doesn't mean there isn't one. My CSR may not have have been informed of all the details. Case in point, he didn't know about the promotion until I sent him on a research mission.

Ray

Well after hearing some say on this thread that they were told that there was no commitment but there would be a charge for cancelling early I would think that there were a LOT of people that were misinformed and that there will be some issues in the future when some of the people in this post go to sell the receiver or shut the programming or receiver off in less than 12 months. I know that previouisly with the 508 promotion there was a commitment with the $199 deal and none with the $149 deal so maybe its the same here and the CSR's are confused or something, who knows.

Did they say that you had to order the HD package or anything to get the 811?

Had rep tell me what a "exclusive" customer is.

Hi all! First time posting here and just wanted to say thanks! Everybody here has really helped fill a gap in my E* knowledge.

Anyway, I called Exec number and talked to a rep after only about 2 mins on hold. After pulling up my account, I asked him what the price was for a 811. He basically read the 'new' offer (which he said just came out today) word for word off the screen. He gave the 2 prices for the 811 ($199 and $149) and said I was able to get the exclusive. I asked him what that meant and he said 'you are exclusive if you were an E* customer before Jan '02.' He said that was the only criteria. The additional dish is still costing $100 though. I tried to get some other info from him as far as where additional HD programming would be at and the availability of the 921 but he didn't have those answers.

That said, I bought a 811 and it's scheduled for this Sat! :D

Hope this helps!

I also ordered my 811 yesterday for $149. However, I did NOT order the HD package....as I'm not buying an HD projector until next month. I didn't want to pay for service I can't use yet. I went ahead and got the receiver because $149 is just way, way too good to pass up! So for now, it will replace my bedroom receiver - the old faithful model 3000 (or is it 2000 - can't remember)that's been in service since 1996.

The CSR assured me there were no commitments, and that I did not have to order the HD package. He also confirmed that I didn't have to turn over any old equipment either. I said, "So basically I give you guys $149, and you give me a brand new 811 - no strings attatched." He said, "Yes sir, that's correct." When I got transferred to the closer she started to say, "You need to keep a minimum of..." then she stopped and said," Excuse me that's incorrect. There is no minimum or commitment with this."

They'll be out next Wednesday for the install (um, what is that all about?). I'm still wondering what the deal is on this - it seems too good to be true!

Thanks to SatelliteGuys for this forum and the info!

TimR><>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)