811 loses HDTV satellite signals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

babakanoosh

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
I have a new Dish installation. Sometimes when I turn the system on the 811 cannot find signal for HD channels. The HD transponders on that satellite show no signal (only the HD transponders, rest OK). I have called dish and a POR clears the problem but it keeps happening. Anyone else or any ideas?

Hmm, I turned my 811 on tonight and could not get 110 transponders 7 and 17 (they are 8PSK HD). Ended up doing a switch test and everything works now. Thats about the 4th switch test I've had to do this week. Still usually have to do a switch test if I switch between OTA HD and Sat Channels.

-Mark

More on 811 problem

Had a Dish Tech here today. problem actually happened while he was here. Seems to start on power up, though not every one. Clears by doing a switch test or POR. he replaced the switch. We'll see what happens. I have a feeling this is an 811 software problem. Dish said if it happened again they would replace the 811. I will post results here. Anyone else have this problem?

Re: More on 811 problem

babakanoosh said:
Had a Dish Tech here today. problem actually happened while he was here. Seems to start on power up, though not every one. Clears by doing a switch test or POR. he replaced the switch. We'll see what happens. I have a feeling this is an 811 software problem. Dish said if it happened again they would replace the 811. I will post results here. Anyone else have this problem?

I had a similar problem with my 811, but only on ESPN-HD, Disc-HD, and the HD-Net's. My 811 worked fine for 2 weeks, but around the time of the P263 software release started having problems. The signal strength would start out around 90, but over the course of a minute or two would bleed down so low that the 811 lost the satellite lock. The first Dish tech I talked to thought it was a cabling problem and set up a service call for Jan 24th ( I spoke with them on Dec. 28th). After some DIY trouble-shooting I was able to eliminate wiring and the switch as problems. I called Dish back and they sent me a replacement 811 which I received Friday, and so far I haven't had any problems. My guess is there is a software problem that only affects certain receivers. Probably some minor flaw in the tuner that the new software doesn't allow for. Just a guess though. If it worked when you got it and then stopped, I'd push for them to send a replacement receiver. They sent mine 2-day air so I got it pretty quick. This seems to be pretty common for new Dish hardware. When I got my 501, the first 2 were defective. The 3rd one has worked for going on 2 years now.

HookedOnTV said:
Every day at the first power on it says it has lost the satellite and I have to do a switch test to get things going again. Irritating.

Simple solution, Do not turn off the power. I leave mine on 24/7.

I have to do a switch test daily when changing from HD to SD or OTA the receiver Pops up with a message forcing me to do a Switch test , I am on my 2nd 811, the first one would only lock in the 110 Sat. no 119.

Tech replaced the DP34 switch on Saturday. Have done many power cycles and it is OK so far. Has anyone with this problem tried replacing the switch? It may be the problem is a matching between the 811 and the switch. I know the 811 outputs different DC voltages to cause the switch to go to the diferent satellite inputs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts