811 Lost Wing Satellite

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I'm also in the SF bay area and I get both wing sats (61.5 & 148) on my 811. I'm using a SW-64 cascaded with a SW-21. I did have problem with this setup a while ago with the 61.5 sat and my previous receiver (only seeing the odd or even tranporters), so I switch out the LNB on the 61.5 and it has been working pretty well since then.

I'm in SF Area also, and do not have any problem getting 148. I have a dual SW-64 setup. I'm not sure of the distribution, but I believe that on one SW-64 I have the 811 and two 301 recievers. On the other SW-64, I have a single 301 reciever. I'm waiting on a 921 to make better use of the second SW-64.

New to the board. Howdy!

Having the same problem with an 811 not seeing the 148 bird.

Similar setup to many others... Dish 500 and side Dish 300. DP34 switch.

Have a 322 box hooked up too on the same rig, (and it happily sees the 148 bird!). Just a shame it won't authorise the channels I'm paying for - Dish is sendng me a new 322 box!! :no

Guess the thing to figure out is what is different between users.

If you see the 148 sat, do you have DishPro LNBs? What Switch (if any) and MORE important... what software version are you running?? Do you allow automatic updates?

So here goes with mine... :D

DishPro LNB's (one twin on 500, one dual on Dish 300)
DP34 switch
811 s/w version 2.63 (I'll have to verify this later today!)
Automatic updates allowed.

Many we can find a common denominator?

I think the S/w version is more likely the culprit (maybe there's a bug with switch types and how it handles them). I very much doubt hardware... or it wouldn't work at all... there's only one cable into the box and for the most part it works! :p

Cheers,

I have a 811 and 301 connected through DP21's . One Dishro 500 and Dishpro 300 pointed at 148. No 148 on the 811 but the 301 works just fine. Software version is P263LABD-N and bootstrap version is 1010LABD.

I stopped receiving programming from 148 on my 811 last Friday, but it came back today. After trying everything mentioned in this thread over the weekend (unplug various cables, check switch, etc) I had given up and decided to wait for the next software update.

However, today I stumbled across a fluke solution to the problem. It had snowed here heavily during the day, so when I got home from work and flipped on the TV, the receiver wasn't getting strong enough signals to lock from 110, 119, or 148 due to snow accumulation. Because I'm lazy, I ran a check switch test hoping it would somehow fix the problem without me having to get out the broom and go outside. It didn't of course, but running the check switch test with the dishes covered in snow somehow reacquired the 148 signal! :D

After noticing this, I hurried outside and brushed the snow off the dishes, and CBSHD was back. I don't know if this would work for anyone else (obstructing the dishes), but it worked for me.

Of course, this is probably moot since we'll probably be getting a software fix soon, but I thought I'd share anyway.

[ It didn't of course, but running the check switch test with the dishes covered in snow somehow reacquired the 148 signal!]

I reported on the 21st that I didn't have the lost 148 problem on my 811 and tested this every day successfully up til today when it now has lost it.
I also get the 'con' instead when running the test switch.
Can't get it to snow around here to try that work-a-round.
No software download yet....................is it really coming.........

Grandude said:
[ It didn't of course, but running the check switch test with the dishes covered in snow somehow reacquired the 148 signal!]

I reported on the 21st that I didn't have the lost 148 problem on my 811 and tested this every day successfully up til today when it now has lost it.
I also get the 'con' instead when running the test switch.
Can't get it to snow around here to try that work-a-round.
No software download yet....................is it really coming.........

Grandude, I know your're in Santa Rosa and I'm in Rohnert Park. My 811 is still seeing 148 just fine. What bootstrap do you have? I have 1010LABD. I did note yesterday that I lost the picture on HBO-HD on 110. the screen told me what was on, but no program. It was fine on 148. I did a 5 second reboot and it all came back fine.

GB42 said:
Replace 811 TODAY with NEW 811 box. No different results. Still no 148.
DP-21's
S/W : P263LADD-N
B/S ver. 1010LADD

Same here. Received my replacement 811 from UPS yesterday. Installed it last night and still showed "CONN" for 148. After it was done updating, I was hoping to see a new version, but still P263. Called E* about it last night and they're sending a tech; but I don't think they'll do anything different from what I already have done. So it could be a software issue, and hopefully the software update that is suppose to happen this weekend will fix this issue.

Bobby said:
Grandude, I know your're in Santa Rosa and I'm in Rohnert Park. My 811 is still seeing 148 just fine. What bootstrap do you have? I have 1010LABD. I did note yesterday that I lost the picture on HBO-HD on 110. the screen told me what was on, but no program. It was fine on 148. I did a 5 second reboot and it all came back fine.

Bobby,
I still have 1010LABD. My setup is DishPro all the way with two SW34Pro switches to accomodate my 721, 301,501, 811 and 6000U. I was getting 148 and CBSHD ch 9454 up until today with no problems other than the occasional need to run the check switch to get the whole thing going again.
Tried the suggestion by another poster of reducing the available signel to the horn on my dish pointing to 148 but that was a total loss. Ended up losing everything until I did a hard reboot twice.
I'm starting to wonder if Dish is sending out 'patches' to the 811s without upgradeing the software level????? Why else would this start occuring with so many users?
My 6000U keeps plugging along just fine. I am using it as my primary receiver until the next software release which I hope cures most/all of these problems.

I got my replacement 811 yesterday. I hooked it up and got the same "conn" message for the 148 satellite. It looks like I will miss CSI in hi-def again tonight. I sure hope this software update is sent out soon.

Grandude said:
Bobby,
I still have 1010LABD. My setup is DishPro all the way with two SW34Pro switches to accomodate my 721, 301,501, 811 and 6000U. I was getting 148 and CBSHD ch 9454 up until today with no problems other than the occasional need to run the check switch to get the whole thing going again.
Tried the suggestion by another poster of reducing the available signel to the horn on my dish pointing to 148 but that was a total loss. Ended up losing everything until I did a hard reboot twice.
I'm starting to wonder if Dish is sending out 'patches' to the 811s without upgradeing the software level????? Why else would this start occuring with so many users?
My 6000U keeps plugging along just fine. I am using it as my primary receiver until the next software release which I hope cures most/all of these problems.

So, we have the same Boot Strap. I am using Legacy with 2 SW21s. I'm just trying to make sense of what is going on. I have a sneaking suspicion that you may be right about patches. Sometimes my S-Video looks OK brightness wise, other times, not so good. This morning I was looking at KABC in LA and it looked every bit as good as my 6000.

I was having a similar problem but with loss of the 110 satellite. We tried everything, including reinstallation of every part of the system. Finally, the installer hooked a dish 301 up and it couldn't find the signal either so we knew it couldn't be the 811. It turned out that the LNBs are really sensitive to stray voltage from the ground wire. Once we took the ground off, everything worked just like it was supposed to. Has anyone tried removing the grounding from their system? It may not be the problem in this case but it worked for me and I haven't seen anyone mention it in this thread.

I get 148 on my 301 and 508 receivers, but not on the 811 any more. I live north of SF in Novato, CA and am using DP-34 switch. I hope the software update fixes it.

marathon_1 said:
I got my replacement 811 yesterday. I hooked it up and got the same "conn" message for the 148 satellite. It looks like I will miss CSI in hi-def again tonight. I sure hope this software update is sent out soon.

I'm glad now that I bought the 6000U and decided to keep it.

Like most people here I too was getting the Conn with an X where my 148 used to be. Today the tech came out and troubleshot the problem for almost 4 hours. He tried two different receivers and he even replaced the entire cable run to the 811. He finally called a supervisor and they told him to replace our DP switch with a legacy. So he had to leave because he didn't have one. He returned within an hour and swapped out the switches and sure enough... the 811 can now see 148. Now I just have to tell my brother-in-law so that he can call Dish and request that the tech bring a legacy switch. I wouldn't want the tech that is coming out on Saturday for his trouble call to go through the same mess. Hopefully this fixes the problem for good... but it was just the switch, how did they all go down at the same time? Did Dish push something down to the 811's that caused them to stop seeing 148?

RobH said:
He returned within an hour and swapped out the switches and sure enough... the 811 can now see 148.

Considering that the 811 was working when I had it installed about 2 months ago with DishPro LNBs and DP34 switch, having to revert to legacy equipment seems like a band-aid fix. My 510 and 4900 see 148, so I believe the issue is with the 811 and using legacy switches and LNBs is masking the problem.

What a tremendous waste of time for installers and customers.

A simple analysis of the trouble calls over the time period involved should show any reasonable person that it's a system problem and not 811 hardware related. It's really dissapointing to see such a simple fact go unnoticed by DISH.

I feel for you guys...

Just noticed yesterday that I had lost CBS-HD on 148. Called Dish tech support and advanced tech support tonight. They acted like they had never heard of the problem. They're sending a tech out next Saturday. Hopefully it will be software fixed before then.

Broadband Lab Rat said:

A simple analysis of the trouble calls over the time period involved should show any reasonable person that it's a system problem and not 811 hardware related. It's really dissapointing to see such a simple fact go unnoticed by DISH.

I feel for you guys...

I'm at a loss to understand your reasoning, considering that it is only 811s that are affected. Perhaps you could help clarify this to me and the other readers here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)