811 Lost Wing Satellite

Grandude said:
I'm at a loss to understand your reasoning, considering that it is only 811s that are affected. Perhaps you could help clarify this to me and the other readers here.

a) A large number of 811's simultaneously lost only one (148) wing sat
b) All were working previously
c) None have reported a code upgrade in the 811 with their symptoms
d) Multiple receiver swap-outs around the nation have not helped

All these things point to a change outside the 811 itself.

I agree that the symptom that only 811's were effected tends to focus on the 811's themselves, but IMO the overall evidence points to a system change (perhaps on 148 itself ?) that was not expected to be a problem, and actually was not a problem with any receivers except the 811's due to the 811's existing paticular software.

Of course I could be missing something...

Cheers!

vetboy44 said:
I was having a similar problem but with loss of the 110 satellite. We tried everything, including reinstallation of every part of the system. Finally, the installer hooked a dish 301 up and it couldn't find the signal either so we knew it couldn't be the 811. It turned out that the LNBs are really sensitive to stray voltage from the ground wire. Once we took the ground off, everything worked just like it was supposed to. Has anyone tried removing the grounding from their system? It may not be the problem in this case but it worked for me and I haven't seen anyone mention it in this thread.

After trying everything else, with the exception of converting back to legacy which would be very difficult for me, I finally tried your 'removing the ground' trick and it had no effect. Still missing 148 when I do a check switch.

Since legacy hardware doesn't seem to have this problem, I am tinkering with the idea of plugging a legacy adapter in front of the 811 to see what would happen. However, since I only have one and it is currently attached to me
6000U, I am a bit anxious about screwing it up. Seems like this might work as the legacy adapter makes the pro switch look like an SW64.
Any thoughts on this matter, anyone!

Broadband Lab Rat said:
a) A large number of 811's simultaneously lost only one (148) wing sat
b) All were working previously
c) None have reported a code upgrade in the 811 with their symptoms
d) Multiple receiver swap-outs around the nation have not helped

All these things point to a change outside the 811 itself.

I agree that the symptom that only 811's were effected tends to focus on the 811's themselves, but IMO the overall evidence points to a system change (perhaps on 148 itself ?) that was not expected to be a problem, and actually was not a problem with any receivers except the 811's due to the 811's existing paticular software.

Of course I could be missing something...

Cheers!

OK, I see your point. This doesn't change my belief that the fault is in the 811s though. I was seeing 148 for at least a week after the problem was first reported here and perhaps this was just a false sense of security. I do not recall if I had to do any 'check switch' operations during that week as I only turned that unit (the 811) on to see, on a daily basis, whether I was still getting CBSHD from 148. It might be that when I finally had to do a check switch that it failed. It does seem, however, that I probably had done a few check switches during that period as this is a VERY common problem with my 811.
I continually thank the "satellite gods" that I still have my 6000U for my HD
programs.

Grandude said:
Since legacy hardware doesn't seem to have this problem, I am tinkering with the idea of plugging a legacy adapter in front of the 811 to see what would happen. However, since I only have one and it is currently attached to me
6000U, I am a bit anxious about screwing it up. Seems like this might work as the legacy adapter makes the pro switch look like an SW64.
Any thoughts on this matter, anyone!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that DishPro LNBs combines the even and odd polarity onto one cable, while legacy did not. Since legacy equipment only accepts one polarity at a time, the legacy adapter is used to give the receiver whatever polarity it needs, odd or even. With that said, I'm not sure if the legacy adapter will output both polarities at the same time. If it does (or doesn't), the question is how will the 811 react?

yrac said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that DishPro LNBs combines the even and odd polarity onto one cable, while legacy did not. Since legacy equipment only accepts one polarity at a time, the legacy adapter is used to give the receiver whatever polarity it needs, odd or even. With that said, I'm not sure if the legacy adapter will output both polarities at the same time. If it does (or doesn't), the question is how will the 811 react?

My thinking is that:
a) the 811 is designed to work with Pro or Legacy switches and LNBs
b) the legacy adapter takes the Pro signels and converts them so that Legacy receivers can use them.

ERGO, the result would be that the Pro signels are converted in the adapter to look like an SW64 and then the 811 would see the signels coming in as legacy and operate accordingly.
I could be wrong but am getting close to trying it to see what happens.

BTW, when you do a check switch on a legacy receiver connected through an adapter to Pro switches the result screen looks just like a legacy receiver connected to a SW64.

I wonder if some dish Engineer made an error when shutting down the HD signals that use to be on 148. Maybe the transponder that is being selected by the 811 is the defaut dishPro HD transponder and it is now 'off'. Or dish is testing their three HDs on a stick configuration and something that is suppose to block these channels is now blocking the satellite.

It is the 811 and No estimated time till fix.

I just spoke to the "advanced" tech support from dish. Since I had been promised a fix by this Friday through a new download. She put me on hold and try to find an answer for me. She came back and told me that it was wrong of the technician to promise anything. They are aware of the problem between the 811 and the Dishpro switches, (34). She then went on to tell me that they are working on the fix but could not predict when, it might be a couple of hours to a couple of weeks. They just don't know. She apoligized and made a note to my acount. I asked her to put a note in my account reminding them that there are other services around. Direct TV now also has CBS HD so I'm not really stuck using Dish. Voom is another option but I don't think I'll be able to get CBS HD over the air since I have mountains blocking my signal path.
I'll start looking around for an alternative...

I am now also missing the 110 sat along with the 148.

Let me know if anyone else has this problem.

Nevermind.... Check switch seems to have brought back 110. But 148 is still missing, but the new 811 that DISH sent me doesn't seem to have solved the problem.

Will call DISH tomorrow and see what I can get out of execitive tech support.

Can I butt in and ask a dumb question?

I am getting an 811 installed this week. I live in the DFW area, and all the locals here broadcast in digital. I'm currently using a standalone HD receiver to watch CBS HD OTA, and imagine I will use the 811 to do the same...

Is CBS HD the only thing I would care about on the 148 bird?

snathanb said:
Can I butt in and ask a dumb question?

I am getting an 811 installed this week. I live in the DFW area, and all the locals here broadcast in digital. I'm currently using a standalone HD receiver to watch CBS HD OTA, and imagine I will use the 811 to do the same...

Is CBS HD the only thing I would care about on the 148 bird?

It is the only thing I care about on 148. Quite a few Spanish and other foreign speaking stations were on it when I had it installed. I think if I lived farther east I would opt for the other wing so I could get the HD demo channel along with CBSHD.

Okay, just got off the phone with Tech support and here is what they wanted to do. They wanted to send a tech out to my house to replace my Dish Pro Switches with Legacy switches.

They claimed this would fix my problem.

I am not sure I like that idea as it seems like "Dishpro" should be better than Legacy. I told them that since I would be out of town for the next week I would like to wait and HOPE for a software update which she claimed would also fix it, but would give no guarantee as to when it was coming.

Can someone tell me if I am right to dislike the idea of having my switches switced to Legacy?

MacKenzieIII said:
Okay, just got off the phone with Tech support and here is what they wanted to do. They wanted to send a tech out to my house to replace my Dish Pro Switches with Legacy switches.

I am not sure I like that idea as it seems like "Dishpro" should be better than Legacy. I told them that since I would be out of town for the next week I would like to wait and HOPE for a software update which she claimed would also fix it, but would give no guarantee as to when it was coming.

Can someone tell me if I am right to dislike the idea of having my switches switced to Legacy?

Another update, after being told that a new switch would fix it. I tried connecting the 148 sat directly to the 811. And guess what? I get 148 just fine now. Of course I don't get anything else. But it is somewhat intresting and since there are only a few CBS shows I want in HD it is an okay work around.

MacKenzieIII said:

You didn't mention, but I would presume that this also includes replacing the LNBs with Legacy ones.
I personally wouldn't accept this work-a-round since I have five receivers to feed and the Pro switches (two SW34Pro) are what I have currently installed. Your solution in your next post also wouldn't work for me since I have two HD receivers, a 6000U and an 811.
All is not a total loss for me anyway since I only have one HDTV which I am driving with the 6000U. I have the 811 connected to an older, smaller, really junky Panasonic TV mainly to check on a daily basis to see if they have fixed any of the MANY problems.

BTW, I did try putting the legacy converter in front of the 811 to see what would happen and no luck there. All I got that way was sat119. Oh well!

Grandude said:
You didn't mention, but I would presume that this also includes replacing the LNBs with Legacy ones.
I personally wouldn't accept this work-a-round since I have five receivers to feed and the Pro switches (two SW34Pro) are what I have currently installed. Your solution in your next post also wouldn't work for me since I have two HD receivers, a 6000U and an 811.
All is not a total loss for me anyway since I only have one HDTV which I am driving with the 6000U. I have the 811 connected to an older, smaller, really junky Panasonic TV mainly to check on a daily basis to see if they have fixed any of the MANY problems.

BTW, I did try putting the legacy converter in front of the 811 to see what would happen and no luck there. All I got that way was sat119. Oh well!

When I called all they said that needed to be replaced was the switches. But it wouldn't suprise me if there was more that really needed to be done.

What is the difference between the pro and legancy switches and LNBs?

MacKenzieIII said:
When I called all they said that needed to be replaced was the switches. But it wouldn't suprise me if there was more that really needed to be done.

What is the difference between the pro and legancy switches and LNBs?
Actually I am not sure about any of this. I'm confidant that I have read somewhere that the Pro switches won't work with Legacy LNBs but I can't swear that the reverse, Legacy switches with Pro LNBs, will or will not work.
My gut feeling is that it has to be all Pro or all Legacy.
Somewhere here or somewhere the differences are explained but I can't put my finger on where.
I'm still hoping that a software solution will come done the pike (SOON). I want to put my current 32inch tube HDTV in the bedroom and get a 46inch Samsung DLP TV for the family room but still no rush without the 811 working more reliably.

Grandude said:
Actually I am not sure about any of this. I'm confidant that I have read somewhere that the Pro switches won't work with Legacy LNBs but I can't swear that the reverse, Legacy switches with Pro LNBs, will or will not work.
My gut feeling is that it has to be all Pro or all Legacy.
Somewhere here or somewhere the differences are explained but I can't put my finger on where.
I'm still hoping that a software solution will come done the pike (SOON). I want to put my current 32inch tube HDTV in the bedroom and get a 46inch Samsung DLP TV for the family room but still no rush without the 811 working more reliably.

Dishpro switches only work with dishpro LNBs.. legacy switches only work with legacy lnbs... has to do with frequency requirements from the reciever in order to power the LNB.

After 5 pages, finally something to add to the thread!

bcshields said:
Dishpro switches only work with dishpro LNBs.. legacy switches only work with legacy lnbs... has to do with frequency requirements from the reciever in order to power the LNB.

After 5 pages, finally something to add to the thread!

So can you tell me is the offer to replace my DishPro switches with Legacy a good or bad one? Is there something that a Dish pro can do that legacy cant?

The E* network installer/tech was just here and fixed my lost 148. He had no idea and had no extra 811 to try. He called E* and the lady to him to swap out my DP lnbs and switch with legacy ones. That's how they were fixing the problem.

MacKenzieIII said:
So can you tell me is the offer to replace my DishPro switches with Legacy a good or bad one? Is there something that a Dish pro can do that legacy cant?
I swapped out my Legacy SW64 switch and LNBs for two SW34Pro switches and Pro LNBs for two reasons.
1. I already had one SW64 switch die on me, and it was a few days before a tech got here to replace it.
2. I bought a 721 and needed more outputs than the four from the SW64 switch. I also have a 501, a 301 a 6000U and an 811. This means I needed six feeds to receivers. I'm not aware that this can be done with Legacy switches.
3. DishPro is supposed to allow cabling up to 200feet and Legacy only 100feet.

Why would Echostars newest receiver, the 811 HD one, clearly labeled DishPro, have to be switched back to Legacy hardware after having worked on Pro hardware for a few months?

Are there similar problems with their other new receiver, the 921 PVF/DVR?

Is there the same problem for East Coasters who are on the other wing satellite? If not, I wonder if it would be worth trying to reaim the 148 dish to 61.5? Living here on the far reaches of the Left Coast would probably make that a pretty big IF.

Grandude said:
I swapped out my Legacy SW64 switch and LNBs for two SW34Pro switches and Pro LNBs for two reasons.
1. I already had one SW64 switch die on me, and it was a few days before a tech got here to replace it.
2. I bought a 721 and needed more outputs than the four from the SW64 switch. I also have a 501, a 301 a 6000U and an 811. This means I needed six feeds to receivers. I'm not aware that this can be done with Legacy switches.
3. DishPro is supposed to allow cabling up to 200feet and Legacy only 100feet.

Why would Echostars newest receiver, the 811 HD one, clearly labeled DishPro, have to be switched back to Legacy hardware after having worked on Pro hardware for a few months?

Are there similar problems with their other new receiver, the 921 PVF/DVR?

Is there the same problem for East Coasters who are on the other wing satellite? If not, I wonder if it would be worth trying to reaim the 148 dish to 61.5? Living here on the far reaches of the Left Coast would probably make that a pretty big IF.

If you have line of sight to 61.5, it will work just fine, Grandude. My Dish installer was going to aim my 300 at 61.5 but I asked him not to because of redwood trees that stand in a park in that direction. He told me it would work for a few years and then the trees would get in the way. Just keep in mind that you will receive WCBS New York instead of KCBS Los Angeles. You will also have to contact Dish to turn it on.