811 Lost Wing Satellite

O.K. it's been a while since many of us lost the 148 bird, just wondering if anyone has had a resolution from dish on this problem.

I know they can change out your DP switches and replace them with Legacy switches but is this really a cure or just a patch. If they come up with a real solution will they then come back out and replace the Legacy switches??
Would it make a difference?? I kind of do not want to revert to Older equipment and get stuck with it down the road.
Has there been any word from Dish that there will be a fix any time soon?? :sleeo

From the way dish is approaching the problem it seems that it might be the 811 hardware rather than software. I went back to SW64's and legacy LNBF's.
As far as 'down the road' I think that dish would have to swap out the legacy if it became necessary.

bcw said:
From the way dish is approaching the problem it seems that it might be the 811 hardware rather than software. I went back to SW64's and legacy LNBF's.
As far as 'down the road' I think that dish would have to swap out the legacy if it became necessary.

I'm still curious as to what changes were made to the 148 bird in mid-Feb that triggered this 811/DishPro/148 compatability bug.

GaryPen said:
I'm still curious as to what changes were made to the 148 bird in mid-Feb that triggered this 811/DishPro/148 compatability bug.

I'm with you GP, I'd like to know just what they did and would like them to let us in on what they are planning to do about it. I have been fairly paitent with them and want to give them the oppertunity to fix it but they need to put some light on this subject.

Of course if it is the 811 (bcw) then they are pretty much up a creek. I guess if they want to GIVE me a 921 I'd make do with it.

If they do not intend to do something then I guess I will have to get them to swap my switches out. They need to let us know what they have in mind. :confused:

I am not an expect on anything related to DBS, but if I had an 811 pulling in TVJapan just fine before that fateful day when they moved those channels off of 148, hhy can't they just retrace their steps to see just what went wrong? Did they fry our dp34 switches? I don't believe this is an 811 hardware problem at all. It seems to be either a software problem or a switch problem. Just wish E* would let us know what the heck is going on.
Bubba04

bubba04 said:
I am not an expect on anything related to DBS, but if I had an 811 pulling in TVJapan just fine before that fateful day when they moved those channels off of 148, hhy can't they just retrace their steps to see just what went wrong? Did they fry our dp34 switches? I don't believe this is an 811 hardware problem at all. It seems to be either a software problem or a switch problem. Just wish E* would let us know what the heck is going on.
Bubba04

You'd think it would be a simple matter to retrace their steps, wouldn't you?

But, I don't think any switches got fried. My 311 picks up 148 just fine. It's something with the 811 using DishPro HW, and 148. Weird sh*t.

GaryPen said:
You'd think it would be a simple matter to retrace their steps, wouldn't you?

But, I don't think any switches got fried. My 311 picks up 148 just fine. It's something with the 811 using DishPro HW, and 148. Weird sh*t.

I know, it is weird huh? It is strange to me how a piece of hardware can be "compatible" for three months with Dishpro gear, then all of a sudden become INCOMPATIBLE!?! Obviously the problem comes from something Dish has done. That much is clear.
Bubba04

bubba04 said:
I know, it is weird huh? It is strange to me how a piece of hardware can be "compatible" for three months with Dishpro gear, then all of a sudden become INCOMPATIBLE!?! Obviously the problem comes from something Dish has done. That much is clear.
Bubba04

Now, if only somebody here had some info, it would be great. After all, there are some that seem to know every little technical detail about the birds, transponders, compression, etc. Obviously, E did something major on or about 2/20. WTF was it?

GaryPen said:
Now, if only somebody here had some info, it would be great. After all, there are some that seem to know every little technical detail about the birds, transponders, compression, etc. Obviously, E did something major on or about 2/20. WTF was it?

They made HBO and Sho HD 8PSK on that date on 148......

beast37799 said:
what is the difference between 8psk and whatever the old system was anyway?????

8PSK is a different modulation scheme. It allows 2 to 3 HD channels on 1 transponder without loss of integrity. The old way allowed 1 for 1. So, with 8PSK you can double or triple your channels. All newer receivers will have 8PSK built into them. My 811 has one built into it and my 6000 has a separate module that I bought a little over a year ago.

Bobby said:
They made HBO and Sho HD 8PSK on that date on 148......

I wonder why it would effect the 811 seeing the 148 bird AT ALL, not just those channels? The 811 will not see 148 in the switch check or any of the other 148 channels, such as CBS-HD and secondary local channels. Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

If it is the 8PSK modulation that's causing this, can they correct the 811's 8SPK ability through software, or is it a HW issue?

Also, WTF don't they revert back to the old format temporarily, until they can fix it in the 811. That has got to be much cheaper and easier for them than replacing all those switches and LNB's.

I think they may not even realize what is happening. Right hand/left hand thing.

Bobby said:
8PSK is a different modulation scheme. It allows 2 to 3 HD channels on 1 transponder without loss of integrity. The old way allowed 1 for 1. So, with 8PSK you can double or triple your channels. All newer receivers will have 8PSK built into them. My 811 has one built into it and my 6000 has a separate module that I bought a little over a year ago.
thank you :yes see u learn something new everyday :p

GaryPen said:
I wonder why it would effect the 811 seeing the 148 bird AT ALL, not just those channels? The 811 will not see 148 in the switch check or any of the other 148 channels, such as CBS-HD and secondary local channels. Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

If it is the 8PSK modulation that's causing this, can they correct the 811's 8SPK ability through software, or is it a HW issue?

Also, WTF don't they revert back to the old format temporarily, until they can fix it in the 811. That has got to be much cheaper and easier for them than replacing all those switches and LNB's.

I think they may not even realize what is happening. Right hand/left hand thing.

I called Dish a couple of days ago and told the CSR pretty much everything that's been said here. I even pointed her to this website. She said she would talk to her supervisor about it. But I don't know if the frontline helpdesk people know what's going on. I guess we need to talk to the upper echelon techs at E* to get the truth.
Bubba04

Okay with all the Viacom vs E* this thread has fallen to the wayside.

I do remember in the Charlie Chat they mentioned another 811 software update. But going back and reading the chat summery I dont see any mention of it. Maybe it was just wishful thinking.

Anyways until this is fixed no HDCBS for me :(

811 & 148

I am once again able to get the 148 bird. Software apears to be at 264 still. Not sure what changed but I am getting my CBS HD again. :)

mgs24 said:
I am once again able to get the 148 bird. Software apears to be at 264 still. Not sure what changed but I am getting my CBS HD again. :)

Are you using DishPro switches/LNB's? Did you lose it back in February, or as a result of the Viacom dispute?

What does it say when you go into the "check switch" menu now? Mine still says "conn-X-X" under #2.

Still no 148 for me

says Conn-X-Dual under my #2 connection.

Last night I just connected the 148 sat directly to the turner and watched CSI and just unhooked it this morning. But thats a pretty crappy solution.

Yes I have Dish Pro LNB's and a SW34. I was right there with everyone else who had lost 148. I came home yesterday with acquiring sat on my 811 and it kept doing it so I unplugged. When I plugged it back in and did a check switch it showed 110 119 and 148. I then went to CBS-HD and also KRON which I receive on 148 and they were there. I did not check this morning but worked fine yesterday. Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)