811 no longer available thru Dish w/o buying HDTV in a box?

Re: What should I expect?

kaver13 said:
Hello, I'm new to this site. I only wish I would have found it sooner, it's very informative. As of Friday 12/19/03 I placed an order with dishnet for a free system including (1) 811 receiver, (1) 301 receiver and the dish. Being a new customer they gave me all of it for free with a one year HD pack contract. Along with the HD pack I subscribed to the 49.99 a month 100 channel w/ hbo and cinemax channels w/three free months. My questions are as follows.

1. My install is on Monday 12/29/03, are people still backlogged for the 811 as of today?
2. Will I be receiving HBOhd with only 1 dish?
3. Should I ask Dishnet for my installers phone number to make sure they have 811's?

Any advice would be helpful.
I will post more information following my installation experience.

Yes, you will receive HBO HD with the setup you ordered.

Grrr. Installer called at exactly 12:00pm to cancel, they don't have any 811's.

Not a great start to the Dish experience. Now I have to call Dish and try to reschedule for goodness knows when. Last time I called, they said they had already charged the $50.

If they try to cancel the order and not provide the 811, I will give them hell.

Keith.

My CC was charged for $999 already and the only thing that I have received is a nice phone call saying that it would be untill after Jan 1st before I could get it installed.

I just ordered my 3 room with 811 system last Sunday (12/14). They scheduled the install for the following Sunday (12/21) and I got to reading on the net how everybody is having a hard time getting the 811's. So I called and my retailer said they buy direct from JVC, not Dish Network. Everything was on schedule.

Showed up yesterday 5 minutes early with everything in hand as scheduled!

The picture is awesome, the 811 looks extremely cool too!

I was on the border of getting Dish Network and told myself, if they push the install date back, I was going to cancel.

Glad they didn't and glad I got it installed!

After ordering mine at the beginning of the month, and one reschedule, I got my 811 installed yesterday. When viewing HD content, on the 53" Sony (I'm only using it for the local OTA HD content) , it is great. There still are a few bugs in the software, i.e., doesn't retain some of the local OTA channels in the local channel area of the guide, partial guide with video doesn't work, voom feature doesn't work so you need to hookup RCA/S-video-audio if you want a full screen for the standard video, Caller-ID is too small, nothing like what is in the manual, just to name a few. I think that Dish will get these cleaned up so I'll just live with it for now. I still have my 501 hooked up to the Sony (for PIP), and I also use it to back feed to the master bedroom. After seeing how good my locals came in in digital (and analog), I canceled my locals. I'll just pass the 811 through my VCR to record any OTA shows for now until the prices for the standalone DVR's drop.

I have the $149 deal on the 811. Instal was resceduled to December 16th , then to Dec 30th. Now NO SCHEDULE!! Just wait. The installer (Blue Sky satellite) says they are only getting 811 with the TV package, so this confirms that in the Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas areas no individual 811!! for the forseeable future.

I called Dish last night to ask about my install scheduled for 1/7/04 and was told that anyone scheduled prior to 01/05 there may not be 811s available but after that date there are 811s available and should be installed as scheduled. I quess we will see.

If I were to call Dish network, would they give me the name and number of my installer? I would just as soon call now and find out if he has them in stock rather than wait a week to be disappointed. Also, I live in the city and am not to far from over the air towers (yellow zone), however, my widescreen is in the basement. What type of antenna should I plan on purchasing? How well does the forty dollar zenith work, anyone?

Thanks

ROLLTIDE said:
My CC was charged for $999 already and the only thing that I have received is a nice phone call saying that it would be untill after Jan 1st before I could get it installed.

Ouch! - Ok, let me just say that I live in SoCal, and so far, Dish has not missed an appointment (my first 811 install was on time) AND that the Dish warehouse is located in Torrance (LA county) . I was told by the Dish installer that they had a "ton" of the TV's and 811's in stock. (this was on 12/7)

They may be having regional delivery problems, hence all the changes to install appointments.

To answer DirtyMack's question - yeah the monitor is proprietary, and although I could have spent $1200 or more on a reg 34" HDTV, I still would have paid another $400 for the 811, as I already took advantage of the $149 promo, With the free install, I also need an additional cable run for my new room that I added , so I saved the $$ I would have spent to have anything else run to the new room.

Thumper; I may have mentioned this earlier - but according to the CSR, the deal is covered by a 30 day buyer remorse guarantee, AND, a bit off topic, there is discussion on another thread the HDTV in a box may be covered by extended warranty - so I believe the TV still warrants value - PLUS, I was told by Tech Support that the TV will support DVD,Ps2,Xbox and Gamecube - that's a must for our family..

Rolltide seems to think that the TV below - offered at Amazon , is the same as the promo, I checked the manual on pdf, it looks almost identical..

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006JBK3/qid=1072151752/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/103-7734786-2442260?v=glance&s=electronics

I was scheduled for an install yesterday, 12/21, for my 811 and 301 package. When they called to cancel on 12/20 the installer wouldn't give my wife a re-schedule date and said he'd just call back when they got some in. I called tonight after reading all the latest and concerned they wouldn't honor the deal. The CSR said they would honor the deal still and that my install was re-scheduled for 1/18. Now I wonder if it is worth waiting the month for the savings of the $600 Best Buy wants for a OTA/Satelitte HD receiver with a DPI connection. But I guess if I get it and its all said and done it'll be worth the wait. The key word is 'IF'....

Oh yeah, I sent an email to their executive escalations team Saturday 12/20 with some choice words for them with yet no response. It wasn't all mean and sarcastic, just most of it :)

RCA 34-inch Widescreen HDTV Monitor D34W20

Must be a hot item. Walmart can't keep 'em in stock.

http://tinyurl.com/29jmc

The picture looks just as good as Sony's. ;)

I'm not sure what Dish will do with the HD in the box since they have no clue at when they will actually have them in stock.

I ordered my 811 Last week at Promo Price of $199.00, they delivered it this morning, said it was the last one in the state.

It doesn't matter where you live cause you want see a 811 in the next couple of weeks . And you can take that to the bank . Rememeber FDIC

akaRadar,

Rumor has it the Dallas warehouse is receiving a big shipment of 811s tomorrow or Friday.

I finally got mine last weekend as an unexpected shipment came into Dallas.

NEW PROMO

I'm on the Digital Home Plan, and they just started a new promo for existing customers... $99 to get an 811 if you trade in your 301 box, or $49 if you trade in your 501 box. Must get 12 months worth of HD programming at the $9.95/mo. I just signed up ($99), and have the free install of 1/7/04.... I won't be surprized if it's rescheduled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts