811 P3.34, Scheduled for 1-10-06

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Since the change in the component video output is the only video item that Dish's software people were working on with this revision, I'm beginning to smell a rat. These folks only respond to field problems when there is some overwhelming outcry from their subs about a problem or when they get input from their favored providers or E* executives. TTBOMK, there weren't any field complaints about the 811's component output. So, I wonder if the only reason they screwed w/ the component video output was because some E* exec w/ a screwed-up component video input on his DTV complained.

Very depressing. Same issues as reported in the thread by many:

Way overbright picture. Yet another contrast fix that doesn't fix the bad PQ?
Slow clock on OTA.
Guide full of "No info"s, and unable to change channel from the guide when in that mode.
Lockups requiring power button reboot.

Aaah, the good old days of Spring 2004 beta testing are here again.

That's just what I noticed after 30 minutes. I don't know what the big problem is with the 811, but Dish just can't fix this POS. Anyway, maybe it will be swapped for the 211?

My annual Dish contract expires in May and Comcast will be getting a real hard look, as will the OTA option. Stop feeding the pigs!

keith said:
Very depressing. Same issues as reported in the thread by many:
Way overbright picture. Yet another contrast fix that doesn't fix the bad PQ?
Slow clock on OTA.
Guide full of "No info"s, and unable to change channel from the guide when in that mode.
Lockups requiring power button reboot.
Aaah, the good old days of Spring 2004 beta testing are here again.
That's just what I noticed after 30 minutes. I don't know what the big problem is with the 811, but Dish just can't fix this POS. Anyway, maybe it will be swapped for the 211?
My annual Dish contract expires in May and Comcast will be getting a real hard look, as will the OTA option. Stop feeding the pigs!
I've had none of the problems mentioned(except maybe the clock, I haven't payed attention to that).

RobertsD said:
I've had none of the problems mentioned(except maybe the clock, I haven't payed attention to that).

I wonder if the guide problems are due to local PSIP format errors and the firmware just can't handle the error. My guide has been messed up in every release as far back as I can recall. Location is north-central Connecticut. After a reboot, the guide starts off correct but it's only a matter of time and it's totally screwed up.

The signal strength meter on the "lost signal" screen is cool. It's a shame I ever see it because all of my ATSC OTA's are rock solid and I should NEVER see that screen.

Bottom line - this release appears to be a rushed release before February 1st so that the 811 will not be able to receive OTA unless it is subscribed to Dish. That's just my opinion.

EDIT - any improvements to OTA digital audio? The last release was a step backwards and OTA channels would lose digital audio. Hooefully Dish fixed that. It's not nice to be watching a show and the speakers suddenly put out a very loud sine wave.

Last edited:
I just got mine wed night- I guess I have not shut off my 811 in a while.
Bad news..Picture washed out and the colors have lost saturation. This will be difficult to over come with Avia or Sound & Vision tune up disks.

Before the 811 and my DVD players were close in setup parameters. Now they are quite apart.... Fortunately each input can be set differently..

Last edited:
Well I'm pissed, apperently Dish forced the download on my 811! I had been keeping it on and not turning it off, that way it dosnt ask me if I want to except the download! Anyways I come home from work and I'm watching tv and suddenly I notice that the pic just dosn't look right, checked the software and there it was L3.34! wtf!!!!! I asked my wife and kids if they accepted this update and they said they hadn't even been watching it and it was already on when I started watching tv! So either my family lying or Dish forced my download! s.o.b's! (Dish) Anyways the only difference I was noticed and its a biggie is the colors seem shallow and the pic seems washed out so I go in and tweak the tv setting to get it to look decent again! Want to scream!!!:mad:

Don't know if this is a general problem, but the guide info for a couple of my local OTA stations sometimes displays the logical channel number (without call letters), and other times the vitual channel number (with call letters). Guide infor is present in both cases though.

Well I'm pissed, apperently Dish forced the download on my 811!

I think the same thing happened to me. My family was under orders not to accept the download, and no one apparently did. But it now shows as version 3.34.

Luckiliy I don't use component, so don't notice picture downgrade. But, have had more lost signal and receiver reboots since the "upgrade".

I called Dish about my picture quality going down. In there mind there is nothing wrong. No known issues. I asked for a way to rollback and of course there is not.
My only recourse is to either get a 211, get a new TV, switch providers or live with it.
There is no way to fix this using AVIA or another HT set up disk since the DVD players are not having issues and it is not an input issue.. I have tried adjusting by eye but no luck...

Maybe I'll have to spend money on the "spyder" .. http://www.calibration-direct.com/prodspydertv.html

Maybe they fixed the washed out output in DVI:

02/08/2006: 1114 Software Version P3.35 for DP811

Effective Thursday, February 9th, Engineering plans to spool a PARTIAL PHASE of software version P3.35 for the DP811 receiver. This is primarily a non-forced maintenance release available at ALL satellite locations.
At this time P3.34 adn P3.35 will be valid software versions for the DP811.

Last edited:
ride525 said:
I think the same thing happened to me. My family was under orders not to accept the download, and no one apparently did. But it now shows as version 3.34.

Luckiliy I don't use component, so don't notice picture downgrade. But, have had more lost signal and receiver reboots since the "upgrade".
Yup, it's been forced. I checked my Sys Info tonight and there it was, 3.34. Not only did they force it, my selection for Downloads was changed to "Without my permission". How dare they? I still never got an answer as to whether 3.34 disables the OTA tuner if the box is de-subbed.

Yes, Forced...

rthomp03 said:
Yup, it's been forced. I checked my Sys Info tonight and there it was, 3.34. Not only did they force it, my selection for Downloads was changed to "Without my permission". How dare they? I still never got an answer as to whether 3.34 disables the OTA tuner if the box is de-subbed.

Me too, I had it blocking all updates and was happy using 2.84, which had been pretty stable for me. About 2 weeks ago I notice the signal strength indicator when trying to lock an OTA station. I'd never seen this indicator before, and sure enough I have new 3.34 and now set to "Without my permission." I too am concerned if it disables OTA if the box is de-subbed. I own the box and at the very least was hoping to keep it as a spare OTA tuner for secondary TV's. As it is now, I'm staying put with my hardware. I don't think I should have to pay to be allowed to lease new hardware (except maybe the cost of shipping) and I'm not interested in an 18 month term on Voom channels I don't want. Oh well.

rmr_in_dfw said:
Me too, I had it blocking all updates and was happy using 2.84, which had been pretty stable for me. About 2 weeks ago I notice the signal strength indicator when trying to lock an OTA station. I'd never seen this indicator before, and sure enough I have new 3.34 and now set to "Without my permission." I too am concerned if it disables OTA if the box is de-subbed. I own the box and at the very least was hoping to keep it as a spare OTA tuner for secondary TV's. As it is now, I'm staying put with my hardware. I don't think I should have to pay to be allowed to lease new hardware (except maybe the cost of shipping) and I'm not interested in an 18 month term on Voom channels I don't want. Oh well.
RMR, I own all my boxes a 301, 508 and 811. If the upgrade offer gets a bit sweeter in April, I will probably get a 622 to put on the HDTV and replace the 301 in the bedroom with the 811 for future HD upgrade. The current TV there is a 20 year old 19" Sony which keeps hanging on. I would be happy as a clam if Charlie would just put ESPN-2HD on 110 in Mpeg-2 with the rest of the old package. Not interested in VOOM either. Time will tell.

rthomp03 said:
If it just upgraded itself in the last day or so, it is probably because only 3.34 and 3.35 are valid versions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)