811 P3.34, Scheduled for 1-10-06

RobertsD said:
Does this mean that you now get info for your OTA sub-channels?
If so, thats great, and I would upgrade just for that.
No. Info is only provided for channels that Dish carries.

I’ve also noticed if you watch an OTA for an extended period, the time of day starts running slow in the guide and channel banner. Then if you change the channel over to a satellite station the time jumps to the current time. I believe this used to be a problem a little over a year ago and now it’s back.

jimm said:
I’ve also noticed if you watch an OTA for an extended period, the time of day starts running slow in the guide and channel banner. Then if you change the channel over to a satellite station the time jumps to the current time. I believe this used to be a problem a little over a year ago and now it’s back.

You are correct. One step forward (signal strength graph on not connected window) and two steps backward (system clock slowdown in OTA mode and Component Video over-brightness). Since they never fixed the DVI video that they washed-out w/ p2.69, they now have screwed-up both of my sources of HD video watching. Good thing I have an LG ATSC receiver. I now watch almost all my local channel (i.e., major network) video via my LG rather than my 811. What a sorry state of affairs!

I keep having signal drops while watching OTA. Never used to happen. It's really bad. Eventually the picture locks up and the audio makes a funny noise. Then I have to change the channels to get it to stop ( Then repeats again!) I am so sick of this. I'm not even sure anymore if I want to bother with the Mpeg 4 upgrade. I've been with Dish since 97' and enough is enough. I guess i'll just have to suck it up with Comcast.

The brightness problem that this update causes with component cables sucks. I hope Dish releases a fix ASAP. It is very annoying to have to change the settings when switching between satellite and DVD.

There is a post on dbstalk about how a guy was using an unsubbed 811 for OTA, says now he can't get out of the activation screen. I wonder if this update removed the option.

RandallA said:
Release notes from Jason at Dbstalk:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=51168
- Authorization task enhancement
- Additional modulation format support
- Dynamic addition of DTV subchannels
- Duplicate channel filter fix
- OTA EPG upgrade
- Color space improvements to component outputs to add details in low luminance content .
I wonder what the "additional modulation format support" is.

You can now select QAM as a modulation option. I presume this is to make the 811 compatible with equipment in apartment building multi-unit installs. I don't think its going to let you tune digital cable channels, but I could be wrong.

mdonnelly said:
I did a scan for digital, and nothing new showed up, so it can't be much more sensitive, if at all.
Upon further review, the signal on my local ABC digital station (VHF, channel 7) which has been 60-62 at most for two years now, now shows about 73 on the signal meter, with no dropouts at all. Local inquiries indicate that the station hasn't changed anything, so I'm attributing the increase to P3.34. :up

mdonnelly said:
Upon further review, the signal on my local ABC digital station (VHF, channel 7) which has been 60-62 at most for two years now, now shows about 73 on the signal meter, with no dropouts at all. Local inquiries indicate that the station hasn't changed anything, so I'm attributing the increase to P3.34. :up

I've never been able to get channel 7 ABC with the 811. I hope I can get it now with P3.34. BTW, it's gone to FULL PHASE so everyone should be getting it now.

Damn. My 811 had been working fine for quite some time. Now with 3.34 it loses program guide information every once in a while and has to download the program guide. The same thing was happening about a year ago but had been fixed with subsequent software releases. Now with 3.34 it is back again.

ktriebol said:
Damn. My 811 had been working fine for quite some time. Now with 3.34 it loses program guide information every once in a while and has to download the program guide. The same thing was happening about a year ago but had been fixed with subsequent software releases. Now with 3.34 it is back again.
That is happening to me with 3.33, ever since CES...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)