811 P3.34, Scheduled for 1-10-06

Jimmy J said:
Noticed something today. I have two 811's, and was messing around with the HDTV setup menu 6-1-9. Tried putting the 811 in 720P mode, hit save, and the menus flicker like crazy, like a friggin' strobe light!!! Doesn't do it on 480P or 1080i, just 720P. Another bug perhaps with p333? Other than that everything works fine using the DVI out. Can any confirm this?
P.S.
Have my auto-updates turned off to not accept p3.34 til I hear more about it.
Are you sure your TV can accecp a 720p signal? That's my guess.

Jimmy J said:
Noticed something today. I have two 811's, and was messing around with the HDTV setup menu 6-1-9. Tried putting the 811 in 720P mode, hit save, and the menus flicker like crazy, like a friggin' strobe light!!! Doesn't do it on 480P or 1080i, just 720P. Another bug perhaps with p333? Other than that everything works fine using the DVI out. Can any confirm this?
P.S.

I had the same problem with both of my 811's. They worked great for a couple months and then they just started to do it. The only way to fix it is get a new receiver. It could also need to have a fresh software install as well. I had my reciever swapped out a few weeks ago and it has been good since.

I also noticed the picture being all washed out. I am getting tired of this fix it and break it thing. The 811 never did get as good a picture as my 508 and 311, even using s-video for a separate input with SD. They did improve the picture a lot, however, but it still never quite measured up. Now they've broken it again.

I have been considering going back to SD until thing are more to my liking. There is just not enough meaningful content on HD yet. Too much repetition and it may be some time before I can get my HD locals. I can't get them with an antenna. Maybe I'll upgrade to a mpeg4 SD receiver when they come out and drop HD.

Picture looked the same to me, or at least nothing struck me as odd. I like the update, they changed the dish logo in the guide, and adding the signal strength to the pop up message really helps and I think gets it to come back better

rthomp03 said:
Are you sure your TV can accecp a 720p signal? That's my guess.

Yes! Like I said 480p & 1080i look fine, as does the 720p, but the 720p output makes all the menu's & guide flicker like crazy!!!

Last edited:
Got P3.34 today, not sure how, because I have "Ask Permission" checked. Maybe my son accepted the download.

Anyway, I haven't seen any detremental effects yet, using DVI. I wouldn't have known I had it, except I went to an OTA that wouldn't lock, and there was the signal strength bar. That's handy when you're adjusting an indoor antenna for the best signal.

I did a scan for digital, and nothing new showed up, so it can't be much more sensitive, if at all.

Has the ability to select multiple digital channels at once for removal always been available? I don't recall that feature, but it makes life easier to get rid of all those religious subchannels at once.

Yes you could always select the channels you want to remove, but the subchannels will keep being added back when you go view the main channel

Jimmy J said:
Yes! Like I said 480p & 1080i look fine, as does the 720p, but the 720p output makes all the menu's & guide flicker like crazy!!!

I confirm this problem. My is doing the exact same thing. Menu's all flicker in 720 but the picture is fine.

sixbears said:
I confirm this problem. My is doing the exact same thing. Menu's all flicker in 720 but the picture is fine.

If you look harder at a station logo like cbs you will notice it has interlaced lines in it very faintly. I had the same problem and fixed it. I got a new 811 and it is fine now. Both of my 811's developed this problem after about 3 months of use. Still havent switched out the last one yet, because I will just cancle and send them all back anyhow.

The guy that came out said he never seen it before and he said it could be a bad software download and that to fix it would have to first get all the software off the units drive and then re do the thing again. I am not sure how he explained it, but he swapped out receivers and it was good. It is a problem with the 811. I have seen over 2 dozen different folks post this same exact issue on various boards over the last several months.

Just make sure you check out the station logo on the bottom right corner when it is in the flicker problem and then compare when you go back to 1080i. Big difference.

The 811 digital scan for OTA channel is really slow. The time it takes to scan for digital channel is three time longer. It is so slow that I left the tv and got on my computer for awhile and it was still scanning when I came back.

jerryez said:
The 811 digital scan for OTA channel is really slow. The time it takes to scan for digital channel is three time longer. It is so slow that I left the tv and got on my computer for awhile and it was still scanning when I came back.

Maybe that's a good thing! It could be trying harder to get locks.

Jimmy J said:
P.S.

I didn't get this problem w/ my upgrade to p3.34; however, I did get a similar problem after an upgrade way back when. In that case, tech support by phone was unable to diagnose the problem. After a big fight, they agreed to send me a new 811.

The day it arrived and before I got it out of the box, I got a call from some technical manager in E*. He asked that I try one more thing before I hooked up the new 811 and sent back my current unit. He had me implement "Restore Factory Defaults" from the Dish menu. That did it. Fixed the problem on the spot. I sent back the new/re-conditioned 811 and stayed w/ the unit I had purchased months before.

Understand that "Restore Factory Defaults" wipes out everything and anything that you have setup w/ your 811. But, I think it is preferable to swapping your 811 for someone else's problem 811 that has been "re-conditioned". Give it a try before you give up on your 811.

Hmm, I turned off auto upgrade, so that I can decide whether or not to upgrade(since I use component, although I could use DVI).

I think I'll wait and see...

Release notes from Jason at Dbstalk:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=51168

- Authorization task enhancement
- Additional modulation format support
- Dynamic addition of DTV subchannels
- Duplicate channel filter fix
- OTA EPG upgrade
- Color space improvements to component outputs to add details in low luminance content .

I wonder what the "additional modulation format support" is.

I have decided NOT to update my 811 to P3.34 (considering I only use component out) due to the problems others are having with the excessive brightness.

I thought about doing the update, and then if I see the problem call Dish and try my luck at getting a 211. However would that count as my upgrade for the year?

If that is the case, I would rather wait as I have a 942 I would like to upgrade first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)