811 Problem - High pitched buzz then no sound

Mark_AR

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
North Arkansas
OK, I broke it. Sorta.

I was flipping through the HD channels and heard a high pitched buzz(Like a modem connecting) then all the sound went bye-bye. Turning the volume up a little, I noticed about a 14,000hz buzz (Not like the 17,000 hz horizontal oscillator whine)

Turning the 811 off and on again had no effect.

I did a hard reset. Still no sound after coming back up. Kept fiddling with changing channels and sound came back finally.

It wasn't my TV. It was the 811. *sigh*

Anyone else have this problem?

I had the same problem once, turned it off and back on, it hasn't done that again, yet. Have lost sound a few times since, in between the lockups, that you have to unplug the unit. I am not using the toslink.

This thing is buggy, but I got to watch CSI in HD last night, so Im happy.

Mark,

The NTSC raster frequency is 15.75kHz (525 lines x 30 full frames per second) not 17kHz as you're reporting.

I've mentioned this problem to Scott privately as soon as I had my receiver and publically in a couple of the bug threads.

Cheers,

John Kotches said:
Mark,

The NTSC raster frequency is 15.75kHz (525 lines x 30 full frames per second) not 17kHz as you're reporting.
Cheers,

Does this freq. hold true for 1080 HDTV signals also? I'm not an expert, just passing on what I find. It was on every channel that I tuned to until I got sound back working again.

Usually people can't hear the high pitch on their regular TV sets, but I can. Good hearing can be annoying at times.

I believe the horizontal oscillator frequency is 15,734Hz (525 linesX29.97 frames/sec). :) It was changed from 15,750Hz to accommodate the color subcarrier. :)

It would be about double the frequency for 1080i (1080 linesX30frames=32,400Hz)

lamer said:
It would be about double the frequency for 1080i (1080 linesX30frames=32,400Hz)

If that is the case, then there is another source of the frequency since 32khz is about 12khz above the normal human hearing range.

I was wondering why the neighborhood dogs went nuts every time I watched a HD channel.

lamer,

Yes, but at far less than a 1% error I don't find that to be particularly relevant.

Mark,

I'm nearly 100% certain that you're getting raster sampled and passed digitally. THat's what it sounds like to my ears.

Cheers,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts