811 Problem - High pitched buzz then no sound

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mark_AR

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
North Arkansas
OK, I broke it. Sorta.

I was flipping through the HD channels and heard a high pitched buzz(Like a modem connecting) then all the sound went bye-bye. Turning the volume up a little, I noticed about a 14,000hz buzz (Not like the 17,000 hz horizontal oscillator whine)

Turning the 811 off and on again had no effect.

I did a hard reset. Still no sound after coming back up. Kept fiddling with changing channels and sound came back finally.

It wasn't my TV. It was the 811. *sigh*

Anyone else have this problem?

I had the same problem once, turned it off and back on, it hasn't done that again, yet. Have lost sound a few times since, in between the lockups, that you have to unplug the unit. I am not using the toslink.

This thing is buggy, but I got to watch CSI in HD last night, so Im happy.

Mark,

The NTSC raster frequency is 15.75kHz (525 lines x 30 full frames per second) not 17kHz as you're reporting.

I've mentioned this problem to Scott privately as soon as I had my receiver and publically in a couple of the bug threads.

Cheers,

John Kotches said:
Mark,

The NTSC raster frequency is 15.75kHz (525 lines x 30 full frames per second) not 17kHz as you're reporting.
Cheers,

Does this freq. hold true for 1080 HDTV signals also? I'm not an expert, just passing on what I find. It was on every channel that I tuned to until I got sound back working again.

Usually people can't hear the high pitch on their regular TV sets, but I can. Good hearing can be annoying at times.

I believe the horizontal oscillator frequency is 15,734Hz (525 linesX29.97 frames/sec). :) It was changed from 15,750Hz to accommodate the color subcarrier. :)

It would be about double the frequency for 1080i (1080 linesX30frames=32,400Hz)

lamer said:
It would be about double the frequency for 1080i (1080 linesX30frames=32,400Hz)

If that is the case, then there is another source of the frequency since 32khz is about 12khz above the normal human hearing range.

I was wondering why the neighborhood dogs went nuts every time I watched a HD channel.

lamer,

Yes, but at far less than a 1% error I don't find that to be particularly relevant.

Mark,

I'm nearly 100% certain that you're getting raster sampled and passed digitally. THat's what it sounds like to my ears.

Cheers,