811 receiver "flicker"

HiDefRookie

Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
:confused:
After reading the helpful posts on the site for months, (Thank you all very much) I've finally come across an 811 problem I have not seen listed yet. If anyone can help in time for the big game Sunday, it will be greatly appreciated.

Here's the problem, on one of my OTA channels (FOX only, wouldn't you know -UHF ch 43 in St Louis). I can only get programming when there is text on the screen, such as the info or title banner, or when I use the guide. When the text disappears, the screen goes black, as if I just selected the channel. The picture comes in behind the title banner, but as soon as the banner disappears from the top of the screen, all goes black again. If I hit info, the image and sound stabilize, but only while the banner is up. As soon as the info box disappears, black screen & no sound. This cycle continues until I change the channel. Remote operation is also sketchy while this is happening. Its like the reciever has a mind of its own.

After trying a soft reset & unplugging the 811 for a while, both to no avail, I called dish network. After about an hour on hold, I was told this is a signal problem. I live 27 miles from the broadcasting location, and currently show my signal strength to be about 71-72%, which is the same as all other OTA channels I pull in from STL (all broadcast from within 1/2 mile of each other) . For some reason this is the only channel with a problem.

In addition, when I assign the other local digital channels, the receiver picks up the call letters and assigns them to the appropriate VHF frequency "name" (KMOV, KSDK, etc). Fox remains listed as "local digital" on channel 43 rather than "fox 2" ??

I was advised to check the antenna ground, reposition the antenna & buy a signal booster. I'm not sure that these are legitimate suggestions considering the signal strength has never decreased.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

Sorry this post is so long..

Using the 510 to record from outside source?

espn audio on DISH