811 Roll Call: and How's it Functioning

I have my HDTV connected through the component out of the 811. The audio works only on the optical out. The optical out is connected to my Pioneer DTS/Dolby Digital receiver. The RCA jacks deliver sound to the television but when I have the 811 set on component no sound is delivered to the television. I will have to read the User's Guide further to see if there is any way around this.

Ray S said:
The RCA jacks deliver sound to the television but when I have the 811 set on component no sound is delivered to the television. I will have to read the User's Guide further to see if there is any way around this.

Check your connections. This is not an 811 issue. You likely don't have the component video paired with an audio input. The 811 does no video or audio switching.

:D Well seems like overall 811 is not bad! Alot of the problem might be folks TV set and the way theyh have things connected and how they have their settings. So when you post make sure to put in that info like what kind of connections you are useing like S-video,componet ect and brand of TV,rear projection,LCD ect becasue these things matter to on well things are going to work which means its not always the 811 its your TV or something else also!

I am using the DVI connection, no noticable darker picture, the picture is offset so I was told there is an adjustment for that. My OTA channels come in between 80-90% . Im gonna try to hook up my s- video tonight so i can get my tv's stretch function and watch without the black lines, I dont like switching imputs but thats the only way I know that it will work...
Other then that the only real problem I have is...

1. I lose audio about half the time when switching between my ota and sat.(have to perform reset)

2. When I have to do a Hard reset (hold power button for 5 seconds) I also have to do a switch test because I completly lose my 110 sat...

3. Local OTA PBS station has no sound (someone else on this forum has the same issue with this channel in our local area)

Well I have had my 811 for 3 days now. I must say that I was stressed when I hooked up my DVI and/or Component video cables to my Mitsu and was not getting a picture. Found out later that the 811 is shipped in 720 format and my TV didn't recognize the 720 through my Component or DVI. Luckily I tried the S video and realized that I had to switch the 811 to 1080i format for the DVI to work

another issue I experience was lost of complete sound. I have both an Optical to my Yami and RCA to my TV and I was not getting sound thru either one. I unplugged the receiver and that cleared right up.

On my locals, (this may or may not be an 811 issue)I was not able to get a lock on the WB channel on my first day, then yesterday the 811 locked on the WB channel but could not lock on the UPN channel. I checked my antenna and everything was fine and prior to the 811 being installed, I did not have these issues on my Mitsu TV. I was able to see all of them.

It may be possible that the tech that installed the 811 might have accidently pulled on my antenna cable which might have made the antenna move. The 811's cable is fed through the same hole my antenna cable is fed and it was a tight squeeze.

My antenna is in the attic and it appears that the installer did not install it completely flush against a beam, so I may have to adjust it. But I will double check by connecting the antenna back to my tv first. hopefully this is an antenna or local affiliate issue and not an 811 issue.

And just for you that are thinking why is my antenna in my attic and not on my roof, well it just so happens that our housing association covenants, do not allow us to place OTA Antennas on our roofs.

In a word - GREAT!

I am able to control it with my IR learning remote (Sony RM-AV3000) and PQ on HD and digital OTA is awesome!

I'm not using analog OTA because I get my SD locals over the dish so I can't comment on that.

SD PQ is great, but like many other posts, it does seem darker. I can adjust the brightness/contrast/color for each input on my TV (Tosh 65H80) so I turned the brightness and contrast up a little and color saturation down a bit - I plan on leaving it like this until a fix is available for this issue.

Digital OTA reception seems better than my 6000u and the menu is WAY better - faster to respond and scroll and I like having PIG (even if it does take a little while to appear).

I would like to have more than a few hours of programming appear in the guide (another fix I suppose).

The big one I've been reading about is aspect ratio control. If I only use the component video, my set locks the aspect ratio on all 1080i signals so I would have to use the (nonexistent) 811 aspect ratio controls. However, I am using the S-video for my SD viewing and component for HD channels, so I can control aspect ratio via my TV when in SD. Works great and I like the PQ of SD over S-video better than when it's upconverted to 1080i (although the 811 does seem to do a better job than the 6000u did).

Overall, I am VERY pleased - especially when you factor in the $149 price point!

Sorry, I did notice one more thing.

Since I have more than 4 receivers, they had to install a second DP 34 switch. They initially tried to run the 811 off of the second DP 34 which then ran through the first DP 34, this drastically reduced my satellite signal. I was only able to get a signal strength of 44 on sat 110 transponder 17 and other HDTV transponders. He switched out one of my 301 with the 811 on the 1st dp34 and my signal jumped to about 93. So for those of you that will need a second DP 34, heads up, make sure your tech or installer is aware of the signal loss you may get if they put your 811 on the second DP 34

The 301 will use different transponders for the different channels that you will use, but I only had a signal loss from 93 to 84 when I placed that 301 on the second DP 34. I looked at the picture and still had a good picture even with an 84 reading. Besides, that particular TV was in my daughter's room and she will not notice any picture difference. All she cares about is that she gets to see Blue's Clues or Dora the explorer

sd quality poor on 811

I also have poor video quality on the s-vid out of the 811.
I'm running HD to a projector and it looks great, but the sd to the 50" standard def RP looks horrible. And I could compare it to a D-vhs dish reciever as an A/B.
Compression artifacts, contouring, macroblocking and overall dark picture with hot whites contributed to the horrible picture. Blacks are totally crushed and whites are blooming. It looks like digital cable. And this was on HBO (sd) which generally has better bandwidth.

The brightness/contrast can be overcome, somewhat, by adjusting TV, but the other problems are absolutely unacceptable.

Are you others sure you're not seeing these macro-blocking and contouring problems? I'm hoping it is just my box and that the replacement will be better.

Tech support told me that the HD/SD button on the remote would improve the SD picture and would glow amber when in SD mode.
Can anyone confirm this?

Mine stays blue and doesn't help PQ.
A different amber light does switch on for local OTA,
but they were insistent that the Blue led would turn amber for SD output.

I think they're confusing it with the 6000. The 811 is blue when displaying sat stuff and amber when displaying OTA programming. Its strange that you see macroblocking on svideo and not on the HD at the same time, I'm not sure how that can happen.

I didn't say that.
Uprezzed content to the projector is poor quality as well.
True HD content on the HD display looks good.
SD content on either display (sd rptv or projector )
looks like crap.

HDTV Rookie said:
And just for you that are thinking why is my antenna in my attic and not on my roof, well it just so happens that our housing association covenants, do not allow us to place OTA Antennas on our roofs.

Well, it just so happens that the federal Telecommunications Act of 1996 made antenna restrictions by local governments and HOA convenants void and unenforcable. See the FCC website at http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html and install a roof antenna if you want.

Since I've had the receiver Saturday, I've had four times where a channel just disappears from the EPG. To get it back I have to reset the receiver. I talked to Dish they said to turn it off at night, which I already do so I get any software downloads, and to reset the receiver to get it back, which I'm doing already. Anyone else see channls disappear???

Too Many Bugs

The aspect ratio problem. The darkness problem, although Monday Night football looked great. I am using Componant right now but just got my DVI cable, I don't expect it to fix the darkness problem. My Locals that come throught the sattelite are missing from the guide. I leave the box on and the next day either its locked up or channels are missing from the guide. I don't have a good antenna yet so maybe some of the problems will go away when my OTA locals signal is stable. If I didn't have to unplug it 3 times a night it would be a great box. Other than darkness the picture is awsome for HD. The RCA outs through my Replay box is not very good though. I sure hope it gets more stable and they brighten up the picture a little. The guide does not look too dark. Its almost as if they adjusted the picture on a non calibrated TV that had the brightness and contraast set way to high.

As anyone tried to use the 811's (menu-based) closed captioning using 1080i output and DVI? It does not work on my Panny Plasma PA20U. Nada; zippo.

It works on S-video (480i) output (in which case CC decoding and displayed by the PA20U).

"anyone tried to use the 811's (menu-based) closed captioning using 1080i output and DVI? It does not work on my Panny Plasma PA20U. Nada; zippo."

CC works on my 811 on HBOHD. Make sure CC is set to "turn captions OFF" in the menu. It's a little confusing as I thought that "turn captions off" meant that the CC would be off. It's the other way: "turn captions off" means that CC is on.

"It works on S-video (480i) output (in which case CC decoding and displayed by the PA20U)."

In this case the TV does the decoding.

Nicu

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts