811 Software update coming next week

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I just got notice that there will be a 811 software update next week it should be released on or around March 23rd.

From what I understand this software fixes the problems with DishPro LNB's and also fixed the 148 Loss problem.

With 264 the OTA signal problems seems to be improved, but from what people are reporting it still needs some work. I hope they improve the Darkness PQ issue on all inputs. (Worse on svideo/componsite).

Does anyone know if they are planning on allowing you set the resolution for SD and HD content. Like 480p for SD and 1080i for HD. Would be nice.

WeeJavaDude said:
With 264 the OTA signal problems seems to be improved, but from what people are reporting it still needs some work. I hope they improve the Darkness PQ issue on all inputs. (Worse on svideo/componsite).

Does anyone know if they are planning on allowing you set the resolution for SD and HD content. Like 480p for SD and 1080i for HD. Would be nice.

It would be nice, but considering they are busting nuggets just to get the unit working as advertised, I wouldn't be hoping too much for new features.

WeeJavaDude said:

That *would* be nice! In the interim, I've programmed a couple of macros on my remote for doing this. I labled one SD and one HD.

Having just received an 811 to replace my 5000, the darkness of the picture is extremely bothersome. I've adjusted my 50" screen as best I can to help compensate, but they really need to address this issue.

I've been a Dish Network subscriber for a long time (around 6-7 years) and thought the 811 would be finishing touch to my home theater system. I should've found this site and researched the 811 first.

Anyone have any ideas when/if they plan to fix the darkness issue? I'm fairly satisfied with the image quality of the HD channels (one of the reasons I got the 811), but SD darkness is really disappointing.

On top of that, I can't get DD or PCM to work on my Denon AVP-8000DTS preamp (yes, I get a red light on the optical cable, but nothing out of my amps/speakers).

Sort of beginning to wish I'd kept my 5000...

-Joe

long_time_DNC said:
On top of that, I can't get DD or PCM to work on my Denon AVP-8000DTS preamp (yes, I get a red light on the optical cable, but nothing out of my amps/speakers).
-Joe
I am a Denon dealer as well as a DISH Network retailer. I have personally installed many, many many Denon AVR receivers, AVC Amplifiers, and, yes, AVP preamplifiers with digital connections from DISH, DirecTV, and a multitude of DVDs and laserdisc players. And the people that work with me and for me have done more than me combined.

We have never ever, ever had one of these products fail to lock onto a digital bitstream properly from an 811 (dozens of those installed) or anything else.

I would suggest you go back into the set-up menu of both of your devices and check the settings. In particular, make sure that the correct optical input port is "tied" to dbs or whatever you use for the 811. I have on occasion plugged the TosLink connector into, say, Optical 3, when I thought I was in Optical 2, for example, on the initial attempt.

JohnDoe#2 said:
I would suggest you go back into the set-up menu of both of your devices and check the settings. In particular, make sure that the correct optical input port is "tied" to dbs or whatever you use for the 811. I have on occasion plugged the TosLink connector into, say, Optical 3, when I thought I was in Optical 2, for example, on the initial attempt.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I've tried it several times today, with no success. In the setup menu on the Denon, I've set the TV/DBS option to Optical 2 and I've checked the cabling 3 times...it's coming out of the digital optical output on the 811 to the optical 2 input on my Denon preamp. My DVD player is in the optical 1 input and has always worked fine from day one that I connected it.

I've spent several hours today with it and simply cannot get it give me any digital audio on TV/DBS now. I've no idea what else to try, but am sure open to suggestions.

I've spent 3 years putting my home theater together. 5 power amps running 7 speakers from the Denon preamp and a 50" DLP HDTV. The 811 was my last piece of equipment to complete my home theater and while the HD channels are impressive, I was also looking forward to 5.1 DD sound for the movie channels.

long_time_DNC said:
I appreciate the suggestion, but I've tried it several times today, with no success. In the setup menu on the Denon, I've set the TV/DBS option to Optical 2 and I've checked the cabling 3 times...it's coming out of the digital optical output on the 811 to the optical 2 input on my Denon preamp. My DVD player is in the optical 1 input and has always worked fine from day one that I connected it.

I've spent several hours today with it and simply cannot get it give me any digital audio on TV/DBS now. I've no idea what else to try, but am sure open to suggestions.

I've spent 3 years putting my home theater together. 5 power amps running 7 speakers from the Denon preamp and a 50" DLP HDTV. The 811 was my last piece of equipment to complete my home theater and while the HD channels are impressive, I was also looking forward to 5.1 DD sound for the movie channels.

It certainly sounds like you're doing it right, 5 power amps, wow!!!

Try this, humor me please. Roll your toslink from the optical 2 to your known working optical 1 for DVDs. Did that fix anything? No! Ok try this, take your toslink out of your DVD player and plug it into your 811. Any help?

What I'm trying to do here is to isolate the input in scenario 1 and the toslink cable in scenario 2. Obviously you know what you're doing, but sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees.

FWIW I have a Denon 4802 and I have never had a problem with the 811 talking to it over the optical link.

For what it is worth, my Denon AVR-3300 has very intermittent locking to the 811. Shows that are DD will lock on the Denon, but the Denon display sometimes says it is in ProLogic mode, sometimes DD. I always get a lock though.

At the moment I am watching HD Sopranos on HBO channel 9456, and I am getting a DD lock on the Denon :) Interestingly, the first part of the show, which is a review of the past weeks episode, locked ProLogic on the Denon, then when the "new" part of the show started, switched over to DD. It was obvious that the sound had changed, and I noticed the Denon display had changed. Anyone getting the first part of the show in DD?

Does your Denon work with any of the remote codes on the 811 remote? Mine doesn't.

Keith.

keith said:
For what it is worth, my Denon AVR-3300 has very intermittent locking to the 811. Shows that are DD will lock on the Denon, but the Denon display sometimes says it is in ProLogic mode, sometimes DD. I always get a lock though.

At the moment I am watching HD Sopranos on HBO channel 9456, and I am getting a DD lock on the Denon :) Interestingly, the first part of the show, which is a review of the past weeks episode, locked ProLogic on the Denon, then when the "new" part of the show started, switched over to DD. It was obvious that the sound had changed, and I noticed the Denon display had changed. Anyone getting the first part of the show in DD?

Does your Denon work with any of the remote codes on the 811 remote? Mine doesn't.

Keith.

Dolby Digital doesn't always mean 5.1. It seems much of the programming isn't 5.1 but a lot of it is. Your Sopranos piece is a good example. The regular program is 5.1, the prelims are digital but not 5.1, thus Pro-Logic.

FWIW, Pro-Logic is a digital format

I suspect the remote codes on the 811 remote for other products are pretty limited. Certainly, I get nothing with my AVR-3300. Get a good universal remote!.

BTW -- I get the same sort of DD/5.1 switching you do.

Now, when are they going to energize the "DISH" button on the remote - and what for?? ;)

Craig

GaryPen said:
Are you sure? Pro-logic works over standard analog audio connections. I believe the surround info is encoded on a sub-carrier that rides along with the analog signal. (Or something quite similar.)

You are absolutely correct, Gary. Pro Logic is analog.

Here's a link to Dolby's own technical white paper on how it operates.

http://www.dolby.com/tech/whtppr.html